Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Chief Bakes

BBC: Ten people in hospital after Manchester shooting

Chief Bakes

Ten people in hospital after Manchester shooting

• 12 August 2018
Police tape Image copyright PA

Ten people have been hospitalised after shots were fired in the Moss Side area of Manchester.

Greater Manchester Police said the victims had suffered "minor to major injuries".

Armed police were called to the incident in Claremont Road at about 02:30 on Sunday.

Several people were in the area following the Caribbean Carnival, which had finished some hours before, the force said.

Det Sup Debbie Dooley said: "We currently have a number of people in hospital all being treated for different injuries, but thankfully most do not appear to be life-threatening at this time.

"Officers are trying to establish exactly where this incident took place and who is responsible for such a dangerous attack."

Extra officers will be patrolling the area over the coming days to reassure the public, she added.

View the full article

Member Achievements

David
3 hours ago, Chief Bakes said:
Extra officers will be patrolling the area over the coming days to reassure the public, she added.

Bit late for that now couldn't it be said?

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

No change in Moss Side then, even though we endorse diversity.  I find it strange as we were at one time instructed to refer to Moss Side as "Greenheys" to give it a new image.

Member Achievements

Reasonable Man
No change in Moss Side then, even though we endorse diversity.  I find it strange as we were at one time instructed to refer to Moss Side as "Greenheys" to give it a new image.

What’s endorsing diversity got to do with this story?

Member Achievements

Zulu 22
15 hours ago, Reasonable Man said:

What’s endorsing diversity got to do with this story?

Because we had instruction that the area would not be known as Moss Side in Police terms but was renamed Greenhays, after Greenhays Lane where the Police Station was then sited. Moss Side is one of the most diverse area's of Manchester, so I wonder why you had to ask about the obvious.

Edited by Zulu 22

Member Achievements

Reasonable Man
Because we had instruction that the area would not be known as Moss Side in Police terms but was renamed Greenhays, after Greenhays Lane where the Police Station was then sited. Moss Side is one of the most diverse area's of Manchester, so I wonder why you had to ask about the obvious.

A typical non answer from you. Have another go at explaining what endorsing diversity had to do with some people being shot.

Member Achievements

Zulu 22
59 minutes ago, Reasonable Man said:

A typical non answer from you. Have another go at explaining what endorsing diversity had to do with some people being shot.

As usual you just want to argue. Because of diversity in Moss Side we had to refer to it by another name i.e. Greenhays was the pint that I made. The Political correctness gone mad so that the community would not be offended. For those that made the decision found that the community did not welcome the re-naming. The make up of Moss Side has not altered in over 50 years. For you information Claremont Road is one of the Red Light districts but that does not mean the festival was for them. 

Member Achievements

Reasonable Man
As usual you just want to argue. Because of diversity in Moss Side we had to refer to it by another name i.e. Greenhays was the pint that I made. The Political correctness gone mad so that the community would not be offended. For those that made the decision found that the community did not welcome the re-naming. The make up of Moss Side has not altered in over 50 years. For you information Claremont Road is one of the Red Light districts but that does not mean the festival was for them. 

I’m sure you think you have a point. But as for its relevance to this thread you have completely lost me.
10 people were shot at a carnival in Moss Side and you are linking it to the renaming of the local police station. Are you saying that if they hadn’t renamed it no one would have been shot?

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

As usual you completely miss the point. Because of Diversity, we were not allowed to refer to Moss Side as Moss Side we had to call it Greenhays.  I was surprised that they were referring to it as Moss Side, but please yourself.

Member Achievements

Reasonable Man
As usual you completely miss the point. Because of Diversity, we were not allowed to refer to Moss Side as Moss Side we had to call it Greenhays.  I was surprised that they were referring to it as Moss Side, but please yourself.

That will because I was never part of the ‘We’ who were told not to call it Moss Side. So I only see it referred to in the media as Moss Side.
The Greater Manchester Police website has a page for the Moss Side Neighbourhood. The Manchester City Council website has a page for the Moss Side Ward. Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service has a Moss Side Community Fire Station. There’s a Moss Side primary school. Moss Side Health Centre.
So you are right. I do completely miss your point. You talk of a ‘We’ who were told not to refer to Moss Side as Moss Side. The public services all refer to Moss Side as Moss Side.
So you have the advantage over me as to what the select group you was part of who were told not to call it Moss Side was.
In the meantime I’ll have to go along with the rest of the world and call it Moss Side.

Member Achievements

Richhamdo
On 12/08/2018 at 09:54, David said:

Bit late for that now couldn't it be said?

@David, It’s an interesting point. Will it sort things out and bring back the status quo, I certainly hope so. After doing a lot of foot/ mobile patrol in town and villages  in the early days I often wondered if I was reassuring people, of course I include my partner at the time in this, it is obviously all very hard to quantify, some will be happy and reassured and some wont. I can only remember a very few times when I was in exactly the right place at the right time. I will stand corrected on this matter but I came to the conclusion that once someone had made their mind up to do something they often did it or tried to do it.  irrespective of what’s going on around them.

One example I can give about this is when I was on foot in town after closing time. I was stood with my back to a  shop window looking towards the taxi rank for the first sign of queue jumping and the inevitable scrapping (as you do).Not twelve feet to my right was a man and woman who I presumed were partners talking to each other. They started shouting suddenly at each other and then pushing each other about, they seemed to be giving each other as good as they got. My presence seemingly had had no effect on them to moderate their behaviour. Of course I gave them suitable advice and sent them on their way sharpish. I think my reg partner was talking to the big van driver across the market place about something or other at the time, just in case any one was wondering where s/he was. 

They say “Still waters run deep” I’m pretty sure they do especially when it comes to public order, no doubt we will get some more info about this particular atrocity in the fullness of time. . Rich.

Member Achievements

Chief Bakes

@Zulu 22 @Reasonable Man 

Folks - keep on topic please and lets leave the differing views as they are. You have both adequately made your point so move on please.

Member Achievements