Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

XA84

Boot Restoration

XA84

Evening all, 

So I have some Altberg P1 Aqua boots that are around a year or two old which have fallen into bad shape and could do with some work on them. I'm considering sending them back to Altberg for work to be done on them but I'm also just curious as to whether they will just buff out with some constant bulling for a week or two?

20180627_192807.thumb.jpg.13cd0c432eca41df575f0bfdf8ed5440.jpg

Any advice is appreciated. 

XA84

Member Achievements

Beaker

I'd have a word with your local cobbler (if you still have one).  One local to me made my scuffed up work boots (Non-police) look like new, and they were in worse nick than those.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster

My experience of resurrecting boots - usually after assault courses and the like is that the type of damage you show is not too bad.  Brush polish plenty of Kiwi black* in and leave it to dry.  Do that a few times and you should get a finish certainly good enough for normal work.  As stated above your local cobbler could also do his stuff but will charge more than a tin of Kiwi*

*Nothing other than Kiwi has ever touched my boots - nor will it, lest my basic training Staff Sgt  come back and do unspeakable things to me - he's the one on the left by the way.

suli1.jpg

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Shmook

Yep, as above, build up layers of polish and let each dry before applying more. 

It will take a while, but those will come back fine 😀

• Like 1

Member Achievements

XA84

Thanks for the advice everyone, I've just been to buy some KIWI and I'm going to start bulling them tomorrow in the hope I can get that glorius shine back. 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster
1 hour ago, Jeebs said:

https://www.altberg.co.uk/leder-gris/product/leder-gris-xtreme/ in black

Do not use Kiwi polish. That is one way to ruin Altberg boots.

I've yet to have pair of boots 'ruined' by putting a non-branded polish on them.  My Matterhorns,  bought for exercise in Germany [before the British Army discovered GoreTex] lasted for many years with liberal application of bog  standard Kiwi.  My regular work boots are ten years old and the only wear is on the soles - they get properly cleaned before every shift and I have a bottle of liquid polish in my locker if they get manky during a shift.  All boot and shoe polishes are pretty much the same and the performance of a quality boot will not be degraded by the use of one good quality polish over another [though I am told some polish brands will turn the new brown MoD boots purple!].  Even my old, single layer non membrane combat boots were waterproof thanks to ordinary polish - the last pair I had issued are now my parade boots and very fine they are too [smug mode on]!

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Richhamdo

“Amazon” (there are other outlets available) sell “Alt-berg Leder Glos” black high shine gloss leather polish for boots”. 40g tin for about 5.49. From Army sales.

I have a pair of brown hiking boots and the guy at the factory said to use the proper stuff on them as it’s water repellent leather. I have just about used up a big tin of the leder grease,it’s just the clear stuff that he gave me free at the time. I have no idea if there is any thing wrong with other polishes as like a lot of people I have used Kiwi/Cherry Blosom on my boots for longer than I care to say, but it’s just what he told me, I got the feeling he wasn’t just trying to flog their polish. Rich.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

junior_7178

Kiwi will be absolutely fine on Altbergs. I'v been putting Kiwi on Altberg boots since 2004.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

XA84

So I was at my dads earlier and he gave me this.. will it do or do you still recommend KIWI/LEDER GRIS XTREME?

CameraZOOM-20180701082017311.jpg.c1145b73a00cc9038b1c8948b6cacc6f.jpg

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster

It should be fine - it possibly has a higher wax content than standard polish - as with any polish make sue you work it right into the seams and creases and take out the laces so you can get along the edges of the sewn in tongue.

Member Achievements

andi

Ledergris isn't really a polish. It's a treatment to restore and maintain the waterproof quality of the leather. It's quite oily and greasy (hence the gris I suppose!). It won't shine up like kiwi but it will do wonders for those boots. Apply it thick, and let it soak in.

Member Achievements

Jeebs
On 30/06/2018 at 22:25, MajorDisaster said:

I've yet to have pair of boots 'ruined' by putting a non-branded polish on them.  My Matterhorns,  bought for exercise in Germany [before the British Army discovered GoreTex] lasted for many years with liberal application of bog  standard Kiwi.  My regular work boots are ten years old and the only wear is on the soles - they get properly cleaned before every shift and I have a bottle of liquid polish in my locker if they get manky during a shift.  All boot and shoe polishes are pretty much the same and the performance of a quality boot will not be degraded by the use of one good quality polish over another [though I am told some polish brands will turn the new brown MoD boots purple!].  Even my old, single layer non membrane combat boots were waterproof thanks to ordinary polish - the last pair I had issued are now my parade boots and very fine they are too [smug mode on]!

I liken it to washing your car with a sponge, taking it to a “scratch and go” or a car wash. 

You might not think you’re doing damage, you might not be able to see the damage, but there is most definitely damage. 

I know they won’t be ruined, but they won’t last as long.

Member Achievements

Reasonable Man

I know they won’t be ruined, but they won’t last as long.

Why? What will happen?
Best boots I had were unbranded from a mate’s mate who supplied the military. The were just called something like RM260.
Wore them every day on shift for 8 years. Then wore a suit to work so used them for another 10 years recreationally and as work boots, including on wet and muddy rugby pitches as my coaches wear. Bone dry, warm feet.
Only ever put Kiwi on them and the only part that eventually failed was the part that never had any on - the sole split.
How much longer than 18 years would they have lasted if I’d used something else?

Member Achievements

Mazza

Leder Gris only. Buff it in with a nice soft cloth and leave in a warm place to let the wax penetrate (snigger). But phone altberg, they normally have good customer service and can give advice.

Member Achievements