Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Mazza

Brexit Discussion

Beaker
1 hour ago, BlueBob said:

And are those investigations directed at BoJo or a broader intinary?

Broader.  I belive The Met are dealing with Vote Leave and LeaveEU, and the NCA are looking at some other areas including possible interference by foreign agencies and actors.  It's publicly available if you look.  It is all a bit vague for obvious reasons.  Active investigations and all that. 

Member Achievements

Chief Bakes
  • 11 September 2019
  • comments
Breaking News image

Boris Johnson’s suspension of the UK Parliament is unlawful, Scotland’s highest civil court has ruled.

A panel of three judges at the Court of Session found in favour of a cross-party group of politicians who were challenging the prime minister's move.

The decision overturns an earlier ruling from the court, which said last week Mr Johnson had not broken the law.

But it will not immediately affect the current suspension of Parliament, which started in the early hours of Tuesday.

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

You can receive Breaking News on a smartphone or tablet via the BBC News App. You can also follow @BBCBreaking on Twitter to get the latest alerts.

View the full article

Member Achievements

Ether

Given that the ruling is made in Scotland and the decision was made in England, surely its outside a Scottish courts jurisdiction?

Member Achievements

Reasonable Man
14 minutes ago, Ether said:

Given that the ruling is made in Scotland and the decision was made in England, surely its outside a Scottish courts jurisdiction?

No. You are confusing the difference between criminal law in Scotland compared to England and Wales. This was a decision affecting the Parliament of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Courts in any part of the U.K. have jurisdiction. 

Member Achievements

Ether
1 hour ago, Reasonable Man said:

No. You are confusing the difference between criminal law in Scotland compared to England and Wales. This was a decision affecting the Parliament of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Courts in any part of the U.K. have jurisdiction. 

You live and learn

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

Not settled yet, it has to go to the Supreme Court Appeals in London who should see sense.

Do not forget that the English High Court has already ruled that to Prorogue Parliament is a mater for Parliament, and it is not a matter for the Courts.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7453313/Boost-Boris-Johnson-English-judges-say-Parliament-shutdown-legally-challenged.html

Edited by Zulu 22

Member Achievements

Fedster

Reading the ruling and other various bits I think it’s fair to say that the Scottish court has ruled Boris misled The Queen, if the Supreme Court agrees with the Scottish court, than surely Boris will have to resign?

Member Achievements

Beaker
17 minutes ago, Fedster said:

Reading the ruling and other various bits I think it’s fair to say that the Scottish court has ruled Boris misled The Queen, if the Supreme Court agrees with the Scottish court, than surely Boris will have to resign?

If it is found he lied to The Queen, would it fall under Misconduct In A Public Office? 

Member Achievements

David

Mind you, I can't see it being like an employee spinning his boss a line to get extra time off. Wouldn't this be too big for that?

I can't see Her Majesty being kept anything less than fully informed and advised throughout the whole thing. I don't think she's anybody's fool.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Fedster
51 minutes ago, Beaker said:

If it is found he lied to The Queen, would it fall under Misconduct In A Public Office? 

Not sure tbh,  I am mostly keeping up to date on these court cases by following legal experts on Twitter. People like Jo Maugham QC, The Secret Barrister etc. 

David Green who is a lawyer has given some interesting thoughts, time will tell if he is proved right.

Member Achievements

Ether

I seriously doubt the Queen just took the PMs word for it, without having sufficient counsel 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Beaker
1 minute ago, Ether said:

I seriously doubt the Queen just took the PMs word for it, without having sufficient counsel 

She has to take his reasons on face value though, and do what he says in this case.  We're not an absolute Monarchy, so her powers are limited by The Executive. 

Member Achievements

Ether
1 hour ago, Beaker said:

She has to take his reasons on face value though, and do what he says in this case.  We're not an absolute Monarchy, so her powers are limited by The Executive. 

I doubt her access to info

is limited by much

Member Achievements

Beaker
5 minutes ago, Ether said:

I doubt her access to info

is limited by much

Probably not, but convention dictates that she has to do what the Prime Minister 'advises' in most things.  Image what would happen if The Queen refused to sign a bill in to law?  People would be asking for her head.  Theoretically all the judges could do at that point would be to say it wasn't lawful, but they can't actually pursue it any further. 

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

I do not think that you give the Queen enough credit. She is not anyone's fool. Convention is not absolute, you just have to look at the behaviour of Bercow in Parliament any his impartiality for that.

Let's see what your highest court says.

Member Achievements