Some More Highly Rained Officers

I think we are being over sensitive to what is a public display of security. 

What Infantry Regt is based here?

The Gurkhas are based there.

I disagree about being over sensitive. The terror threat from international terrorism is very real and increasing. As is the threat from domestic terrorism.

Imagine if this were NI....
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pavillion

• Ether

• Mac7

• Indiana Jones

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have to admit, I wouldn't have been nicking them for terrorism. Or searching them for terrorism.  But I would have been investigating the property boundary for the MOD, and finding a resol

This really makes me quite mad.   Two person approach an Army base. Not any army base but one where an active infantry regiment are based. They film the entrance, signage, CCTV, guards, guard roo

Ether
10 minutes ago, Pavillion said:

What power?

Read the full post

Ether
5 minutes ago, Mac7 said:

The Gurkhas are based there.

I disagree about being over sensitive. The terror threat from international terrorism is very real and increasing. As is the threat from domestic terrorism.

Imagine if this were NI....

But we are not in NI and it used to happen there all the time.  Thats like saying imagine if you were in Afghanistan, its irrelevant.  

Its clear these 2 were just a bunch of loons looking for a rise, the first contact with Army personnel set the tone, and it escalated from there. We live in a modern world, and having some Regimental Provost (Not Police) approach as he did was not helpful. Nor was it respectful, the issue could have been easily resolved.   Lets be honest, what do you think they could film that is sensitive even if they walked all the way up to the gate?  Nothing!

I am not saying by any means I wouldn't be suspicious, but this behaviour happens at RAF camps all the time with plane spotters. There is no issue with the public filming, time to modernise.

What relevance is it that an infantry Battalion is based there?  Are they more sensitive than the Army Air Corps, or a Signals Regt?  

Edited by Funkywingnut
Chaos
I am not a Police Officer, but I would like to think I would have been a little more pragmatic and sensible about the situation. 
Filming a playground full on children from a public place is also leagal.... Should that also be classed as not suspicious....

I remember a job at my station were 2 young girls were stoped and spoken to outside by officers and they thought it was strange that they were using their mobile phones to record / take pictures of police and private vehicles going in and out of the station...

These young girls were local to the area and openly admitted to the officers that they had been asked by their foreign boyfriends, who they had only known for a week, who they had only communicated over a chat app, who they have never met or spoke to over the phone or even seen a picture of, to take pictures of police / private vehicles and of the station and send them on to them.

It's safe to say that these two young girls were very naive, but never or less they were arrested under the terrorism act so enquires can be made.

So yes, what could seem like a genuine, lawful reason could be in fact be a part of something a whole lot bigger. In the case of these two, they don't help themselves and becouse of their obstructive and argumentative behaviour it only rouses suspicion from the officers. And where there is suspicion accompanied with the refusal to provide name address, the arrest was lawful and the officers did nothing wrong.

The two men are obviously smart enough to know the law and so should be smart enough to know it's not a good idea to be filming outside of a military base...
  • Like 2
MerseyLLB

If you think that videos of the entrance of an establishment coupled with their resource numbers, sentry locations, visitor protocol and intruder response (as well as police response time and type ie. Unarmed) is not useful to terrorists then you really aren't very switched on.

Just as BTP have always had to try and assess the difference between  rail enthusiasts and hostile reconnaissance...

As for whether this is fanciful or not... whilst I've been a police officer I know of two cases which i can point to because I know they are in the media:

Hostile recon of Merseyside FHQ

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/northern-irish-couple-charged-over-4695154

Hostile recon in West London of police station and barracks 

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/five-men-charged-in-connection-with-london-terror-plot-30672093.html

• Like 2
Indiana Jones
5 hours ago, Pavillion said:

The reality is filming objects such as tanks and army bases etc, whilst one is located in a public space, is perfectly legal. Thats the reality of the situation

Not necessarily.

Beaker

Funky is Service Police aren't you? While Mersey and Mac are HO forces. It is just different approaches here, and both can be justified in their operational environments, which are very different.

I'd admittedly be looking to arrest if I was called to this, but I'd likely want a word with the Provost or MPs on site to see what they wanted us to do as well (assume MPs are still responsible for site security in their remit?). All these dudes are doing is trying to get a rise, and they managed it.

Edit, I'd also be curious why MOD Police didn't get involved, it is certainly within their remit.

Pavillion
19 hours ago, Funkywingnut said:

Read the full post

I did, now what?

Pavillion
18 hours ago, Chaos said:

Filming a playground full on children from a public place is also leagal....

I believe it to be legal as long as there is not a nefarious motive.

Should that also be classed as not suspicious....

Unanswerable without further information.

I remember a job at my station were 2 young girls were stoped and spoken to outside by officers and they thought it was strange that they were using their mobile phones to record / take pictures of police and private vehicles going in and out of the station...

These young girls were local to the area and openly admitted to the officers that they had been asked by their foreign boyfriends, who they had only known for a week, who they had only communicated over a chat app, who they have never met or spoke to over the phone or even seen a picture of, to take pictures of police / private vehicles and of the station and send them on to them.

It's safe to say that these two young girls were very naive, but never or less they were arrested under the terrorism act so enquires can be made.

Totally different circumstances, absolutely no relevance to the filming taking place in the video.

So yes, what could seem like a genuine, lawful reason could be in fact be a part of something a whole lot bigger.

yes it could, but what led the Police to think they were conducting hostile reconnaissance in the video?

In the case of these two, they don't help themselves and becouse of their obstructive and argumentative behaviour it only rouses suspicion from the officers. And where there is suspicion accompanied with the refusal to provide name address, the arrest was lawful and the officers did nothing wrong.

You are completely ignorant at how the law works. Astonished at your view of how the Police should treat citizens, are you a Police Officer?

The two men are obviously smart enough to know the law and so should be smart enough to know it's not a good idea to be filming outside of a military base...

Why is it not good?

Pavillion
13 hours ago, Indiana Jones said:

Not necessarily.

Yes it is.

Indiana Jones
4 hours ago, Pavillion said:

Yes it is.

No. You're wrong.

One can be in a public place and commit an offence contrary to s1 of the Official Secrets Act 1911.

So depending on the circs, you are not necessarily correct.

Pavillion
4 hours ago, Indiana Jones said:

No. You're wrong.

One can be in a public place and commit an offence contrary to s1 of the Official Secrets Act 1911.

So depending on the circs, you are not necessarily correct.

An offence of filming in public?

How does that legislation apply to filming?

Are you just being ignorant for the sake of it?

How does that legislation apply to the topic at hand, filming from a public space as described in the video is perfectly legal.

Edited by Pavillion
Indiana Jones
39 minutes ago, Pavillion said:

Are you just being ignorant for the sake of it?

Mind your manners.

You stated, "The reality is filming objects such as tanks and army bases etc, whilst one is located in a public space, is perfectly legal. Thats the reality of the situation". I've pointed out that this isn't necessarily the case 100% of the time. 

Pavillion
5 minutes ago, Indiana Jones said:

Mind your manners.

My manners are fine, use the block facility if you are easily offended by my impression of your post.

6 minutes ago, Indiana Jones said:

You stated, "The reality is filming objects such as tanks and army bases etc, whilst one is located in a public space, is perfectly legal. Thats the reality of the situation". I've pointed out that this isn't necessarily the case 100% of the time. 

Yes, and in the context it has been stated is completely true. You just tried to be smart and clever for nothing more than childish reasons.