Jump to content
Notice Board
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Great Deals

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
Zulu 22

Custody Suites Derbyshire

Recommended Posts

Zulu 22

https://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/buxton-police-station-could-lose-its-13-custody-cells-1-9160961

It is hard to believe that Derbyshire are considering closing their Custody Suite at Buxton and sending prisoners to Chesterfield, and/or renting space for custody in GMP at Ashton Under Lyne. It certainly makes you wonder what is going on in Command's minds. Ok, we are controlled by PACE but I do not believe that when PACE came in anyone envisaged prisoners being transported many miles, wasting Police time, Solicitors time, or anyone else involved in the justice system. It is little wonder that officers are discouraged from exercising  their Powers of Arrest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

Radman
33 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

https://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/buxton-police-station-could-lose-its-13-custody-cells-1-9160961

It is hard to believe that Derbyshire are considering closing their Custody Suite at Buxton and sending prisoners to Chesterfield, and/or renting space for custody in GMP at Ashton Under Lyne. It certainly makes you wonder what is going on in Command's minds. Ok, we are controlled by PACE but I do not believe that when PACE came in anyone envisaged prisoners being transported many miles, wasting Police time, Solicitors time, or anyone else involved in the justice system. It is little wonder that officers are discouraged from exercising  their Powers of Arrest.

Chesterfield as a custody covers a massive area as is incorporating Buxton aswell seems silly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

MindTheGap
5 hours ago, Radman said:

Chesterfield as a custody covers a massive area as is incorporating Buxton aswell seems silly.

Surely this would just cause severe delays to the arrested person. 

One could argue the arrest wouldn't be in compliance with PACE, I am no geography expert but it's hardly going to be "as soon as practicable after the arrest" as required by s30? Maybe if they were on the border but what if they're halfway between Chesterfield and Ashton? Nightmare!

But custodies cost a fortune, and rather looking at more realistic savings to be made such as reducing the rank structure, or selling off force assets that cost a fortune we'll close a vital facility that enables policing to function smoothly. It's reminding me of when we leased cell space to CoLP at one of our custodies in London, City loved it to an extent but it was awkward for them to get to and from passing through the city and MPS ground before reaching it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

Mac7

My force has closed a number of custody suites meaning a huge increase in time of arrest to time of arrival. I always wondered how this was PACE compliant and thought solicitors could have a field day with it, especially significant statements. I’m not sure if this have legally been challenged yet??

 

Custody suites may cost a lot to operate but they are probably cheaper to keep open than moth ball as most forces seem to do. Sometime in the near future the suites are re opened and the cost required to be in them up to standard are huge.

 

I’ve never been sure what savings are actually made. The biggest cost, I.e Salaries still have to be paid.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

Hoofing

Our cells closed down and we have to travel 30+ minutes down the motorway to a centralised custody suite for the southern force area. It’s ridiculous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

Zulu 22
3 hours ago, MindTheGap said:

Surely this would just cause severe delays to the arrested person. 

One could argue the arrest wouldn't be in compliance with PACE, I am no geography expert but it's hardly going to be "as soon as practicable after the arrest" as required by s30? Maybe if they were on the border but what if they're halfway between Chesterfield and Ashton? Nightmare!

But custodies cost a fortune, and rather looking at more realistic savings to be made such as reducing the rank structure, or selling off force assets that cost a fortune we'll close a vital facility that enables policing to function smoothly. It's reminding me of when we leased cell space to CoLP at one of our custodies in London, City loved it to an extent but it was awkward for them to get to and from passing through the city and MPS ground before reaching it.

I' am in total agreement with you. regarding Section 30. Yes custody suites are expensive but they are required by law.  However the cost is miniscule  compared to the loss of Man hours, and excessive travel costs. An old colleague who is still serving at Ashton Under Lyne tells me that you cannot always get into the Custody suite there. I will have to ask him how they justify that with Section 30.

There are some things that you cannot economise with but it seems that the Police are not only the Governments whipping boy, but now the target for Command.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

MerseyLLB

There's not going to be a breach of PACE

It has been quite standard even in the 80s for people nicked in rural areas to be an hour or more to the nearest designated custody suite.

Merseyside had I think 7 designated suites when I left, just not all open at the same time - quite a lot for a small area. But even then you worked on a centralised custody control and the way the cards fell you could end up travelling to a custody suite 20 odd miles away. 

From the article, the real reason it's looking at being closed is:

The suite is staffed by a custody sergeant and a detention officer 24-hours a day. The staff there regularly have no detainees to look after for more than a day at a time.

 

No prisoners for more than a day at a time?!? That is unimaginable for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

Beaker



No prisoners for more than a day at a time?!? That is unimaginable for me.


I wasn't sure if I was the only one surprised at that. I'm often told to lay off arresting unless absolutely necessary because we're approaching full.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

  • 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

    Meet The Team

  • Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David
    David Global Moderators
  • Fedster
    Fedster Global Moderators
  • Devil
    Devil Global Moderators
  • MindTheGap
    MindTheGap Global Moderators
  • Sir Penguin
    Sir Penguin Global Moderators
  • Remmy
    Remmy Global Moderators
  • Techie1
    Techie1 Global Moderators
×