Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
fat-albert

My options

fat-albert

Hello everyone

I've recently gone through my application with Derbyshire constabulary and was awaiting a start date which I was told would be between October 2018 to the end of 2019. I was offered a place on the new police constable degree apprenticeship scheme which would of started in September but due to being mobilised with the RAF until October I had to turn down the opportunity.

I've since had an email saying I've now been placed in a pool of reserves awaiting a start date between October and the end of 2019 but I don't have a guaranteed place on any intake and if I don't get in before 2019 they will just terminate my application. Obviously this is a bit of a blow as it was the first I've heard throughout the whole process that after passing everything I still might be rejected. I've asked for information on another PCDA course to see if I could apply as they had already offered me the chance to do one course but they don't have any info on another course and told me just to check the website and they also can't tell me where I am in the pool of reserves so I don't know if I even have a realistic chance of getting a place.

Are there any options here? My local forces of West Midlands and West Mercia aren't recruiting at the moment but my friend who starts with West Mercia in May said when it happened to him they offered him a place in a different force, is it worth asking my two local forces if that's an option?

While I know there is still a chance for me to start with Derbyshire I don't just want to sit around till the end of 2019 just to find out I've wasted all that time.

Thanks in advance

Edited by fat-albert

Member Achievements

scary100

If you have taken your assessment centre within the last 12 months contact West Mids! They are due to open recruitment again within the next few weeks. Pretty sure they are looking at transfers also as we had a lot come from West Mercia and Staffs. Ring 101 and ask to speak to recruitment to explain your situation. 👍🏽

fat-albert

Cheers

I've emailed West mercia and Leicestershire and will give west Midlands a call on my day off Wednesday. 

Pretty sure my I did my assessment within 12 months but I'll double check on my results email.

Thanks for your help

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Reece

Leicestershire are recruiting from the 30th of April so there should be an opportunity to transfer scores. Important to look at your options, from my understanding the PCDA is around 18k per year for the 3 years, where as you'll start on a higher wage and move up quicker going through the traditional probationary phase.

Member Achievements

Mac7
Cheers
I've emailed West mercia and Leicestershire and will give west Midlands a call on my day off Wednesday. 
Pretty sure my I did my assessment within 12 months but I'll double check on my results email.

Thanks for your help

Don’t bother emailing. You will find your email in someone’s inbox along with tens or even hundreds of other messages. My advice would be to ring and get answers there and then. Waiting for an email response could take weeks. I appreciate you may be overseas but it could be worth the cost.

Member Achievements

fat-albert

Thanks for the help, will call around Wednesday for advice.

To be honest the info they sent me on the PCDA scheme was poor. They didn't know anything about the pay increments, whether you'd have to sit another assessment or where you'd have to go for the higher education part so it didn't really appeal to me anyway regardless of me being mobilised. 

What's annoyed me is that there was no mention of the fact I might not get a start date at all until this last email otherwise I would of took the PCDA course and worked out something with the RAF about being released early.

Member Achievements

Sir Penguin

Is GMP too far? I hear they are recruiting a lot at the moment.. 

Member Achievements

DB11

Leicestershire & Derbyshire share HR so you'll be dealing with the same people that haven't been able to help you for Derbyshire

Member Achievements

fat-albert
12 hours ago, Sir Penguin said:

Is GMP too far? I hear they are recruiting a lot at the moment.. 

It is unfortunately, I live in the West Midlands so it would be quite a journey to work.

I received another email off Derbyshire yesterday saying they are planning 9 intakes with around 16 people on each once the force "confirms" they are going ahead. So now I'm not sure if I'm on a reserve list waiting for the intakes to be confirmed or if they already have those intakes filled and I have to hope people drop out before I get a place.

I did think that DB11, I'll see if I get any response before I call Wednesday.

Member Achievements

Sir Penguin
It is unfortunately, I live in the West Midlands so it would be quite a journey to work.
I received another email off Derbyshire yesterday saying they are planning 9 intakes with around 16 people on each once the force "confirms" they are going ahead. So now I'm not sure if I'm on a reserve list waiting for the intakes to be confirmed or if they already have those intakes filled and I have to hope people drop out before I get a place.
I did think that DB11, I'll see if I get any response before I call Wednesday.

Sounds promising to me. Maybe call them for some clarification.

Member Achievements

fat-albert

It does sound a bit more positive with the last email.

West Midlands are recruiting again soon but as my SEARCH result went over 12 month's on the 24th April I'd have to redo the assessment centre, I don't really mind that to be honest but its just typical my result ended before Derbyshire sent me the original email. West Mercia aren't recruiting and don't know when they will be so that's a dead end at the moment.

Just waiting for Derbyshire to call me back with confirmation of whats going in with regards to the whole reserve pool situation so fingers crossed it might be good news.

On top of that I've applied for the UK Border force and West Midlands Fire service because those cats won't rescue themselves from a tree.

Thanks for all your help so far

Member Achievements

fat-albert

Well pretty much had it confirmed that I've wasted my time with Derbyshire now and that I'd need a miracle to get a start date so now I'll wait for West Midlands to start recruitment and start the process all over again.

So glad I didn't take thier advice they gave me in my interview to buy a house closer to Derbyshire to make commuting to work easier.

Member Achievements

Hyphen
1 hour ago, fat-albert said:

Well pretty much had it confirmed that I've wasted my time with Derbyshire now and that I'd need a miracle to get a start date so now I'll wait for West Midlands to start recruitment and start the process all over again.

So glad I didn't take thier advice they gave me in my interview to buy a house closer to Derbyshire to make commuting to work easier.

I know the feeling, it is really tough to take. When I first applied for the job I got through the whole process including final interview and started the vetting process. I was in the pool for nearly 3 years. I then got told thanks but no thanks and was left with nothing. This was at the time of the comprehensive spending review.

I then applied for another force which took a further year or so.

It seemed like it would just never work out, however, I’m now in the original force I had applied for after transferring and couldn’t be be happier, I’ve got about 6 and a half years in as a PC in total.

The main point I’m getting at is keep your chin up, recruitment is a strange thing and some people are luckier than others. A family member applied about a year ago and started within about 9 months.

Although it’s a set back I’m sure it’ll work out in the end.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

fat-albert

Cheers

I think this next one will be my last attempt, I'm 34 this year so a career move was the last thing I planned for but after getting this far I was looking forward to it. Something might work out with the border force or fire service yet as well but can't follow Derbyshire's advice of sit around till the end of 2019 and hope for the best.

Member Achievements

Beaker

I'm 34 this year

I'm 41, and I'm applying to my local force next year. I'll not even be the oldest person to apply that I know of.
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

Paid Membership Required

There are 12 hidden replies in this thread. To unlock the forum you will need to be a registered member and have a paid Membership Plan or Recruitment Pass. Click HERE for full details.

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David