Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
Alf Ventress

Animals driving!! Help!

Alf Ventress

So a few thoughts on the best way to tackle this would be helpful and thanks in advance.

Driver has dog on lap and is driving a vehicle whilst operating the pedals but dog has both paws on steering wheel whilst, for decent periods of time, the owner has no hands on steering wheel.

All of this is being recorded by front seat passenger on mobile phone and has inevitably been uploaded to social media, shared to anonymous persons and reported to police.

Driver can be identified from the footage...no ID issues at all.

It is a public road but the exact location can not be identified at this time (no obvious landmarks etc). Driver is on the left side of the carriageway with passing traffic and is doing approx 30mph max for around 2

Minutes on the video. As they are ‘driving’ along the owner keep lifting the dogs paws back on to the steering wheel to ‘play up’ for the camera...you get the idea.

The vehicle cannot be fully ID’d...only have the Make from the steering wheel badge. The driver does not have a vehicle of this make currently registered to him. He has a clean record and all documents are in order.

The date/time this occurred cannot be verified either.

A brief chat with the driver to arrange a possible interview shows him to be quite obstructive/angry that this has come to police attention and he initially has stated that this was 8 years ago in a foreign country and a ‘friend’ recently saw it on his phone and uploaded it to social media without his permission. He states he cannot recall the VRM of vehicle as it was so long ago. I think he is lying regards to the location and this was a panic response initially.

My thoughts in relation to ‘due care’ or ‘not in full position to be in full control’ are there and the clear evidential issues...but I would like to get some thoughts from the forum ....

Member Achievements

Mac7

I’m sure his bark is worse than his bite!! You never know he may roll over and have it!!

You have a witness as well as the video but could the driver have his hands on the bottom of the wheel?

Does the driving fall short of a careful and competent driver? Are other road users affected? Your latter offence seems to fit the best.

You could seize the phone it was filmed on.

It depends how far you want to take it or what is proportionate.

In the grand schemes of things seem like a waste of time if I’m honest.

Member Achievements

Alf Ventress

He wasn’t holding the wheel at all at times. In fact at times he is looking away from the road at the camera to his left.

I appreciate the intent behind it...a joke etc but it certainly is a due care offence. I just cannot establish the time/date/location or vehicle !

Member Achievements

Mac7

Without the phone it was filmed on (for time/date stamp) or the witness who filmed it, I think you’ll struggle.

Member Achievements

SD

Also how do you know it was filmed in E&W? I’d be binning this off ASAP as a waste of time.

Member Achievements

Reasonable Man

I'm amazed that 'the police' have time to spend on such dross. We're always hearing that we don't have enough officers, officers stressed with the volume of work, no officers available to attend emergency situations yet someone finds time to spend on this dross.

• Like 3

Member Achievements

BlueBob

Yes we may have a “big in proper control, due care or perhaps dang driving, BUT, can you imagine the summons - on an unknown date, unknown location, unknown location you did.......”

Member Achievements

Mazza

You need to identify the person who filmed it as a witness and get the raw footage. It could have been cropped or edited so as it stands it’s not “best evidence”. Otherwise there’s essentially no way you can prove the offence.

Member Achievements

Alf Ventress

Don’t shoot the messenger! Thanks for the input ... it was just for some thoughts on the scenario.

Member Achievements