Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
Fedster

The terrifying moment man tries to stab police officer with huge kitchen knives

James255

I'm not a police officer, but if I was, due to the confined space and everything I would not want to open the door. In an ideal world, an ARV would attend, open the door and aim their guns at him. I would hope the AFOs would just aim their sidearms at him and not even try to taser him. I think due to that enclosed space it would be too risky to try taser first with lethal backup. There doesn't seem to be enough space at the door to allow one officer to have lethal and one to aim taser.

Edited by James255

Member Achievements

cookyy2k
1 minute ago, James255 said:

and ARV would attend and aim their guns at him.

So you attend a male under the influence of drugs that are making him paranoid waving around two knifes and the way you'd deescalate that would be aim a gun at him?

Member Achievements

James255
6 minutes ago, cookyy2k said:

So you attend a male under the influence of drugs that are making him paranoid waving around two knifes and the way you'd deescalate that would be aim a gun at him?

Well ofcourse negotiation should be tried first, yes, but surely if he doesn't back down he's a threat to officers. I'm not suggesting not trying to deescalate things.

An officer shouldn't have to be stabbed in the process of ending it.

Edited by James255

Member Achievements

SD
52 minutes ago, cookyy2k said:

Does carrying a firearm prevent people from using tactical communication?

• Like 3

Member Achievements

Mac7
I'm not a police officer, but if I was, due to the confined space and everything I would not want to open the door. In an ideal world, an ARV would attend, open the door and aim their guns at him. I would hope the AFOs would just aim their sidearms at him and not even try to taser him. I think due to that enclosed space it would be too risky to try taser first with lethal backup. There doesn't seem to be enough space at the door to allow one officer to have lethal and one to aim taser.

Shame you didn’t first recognise the bravery, skill and professionalism of the officers involved. You have no idea what has happened prior to the person being “contained” in that area. You have no idea if any of those doors within the communal area are open or if the person will try and get into one of them or if a resident will emerge, not realise what is going on and be seriously injured. The person holding the knifes is also threatening to stab himself. An ARV may be on its way but how long do you wait before you intervene? The actions of the officers involved probably saved lives and ultimately the prisoner has walked out of their with only a barb injury. The officers as far as I can see are uninjured, that is a fantastic result and I applaud them.

What an ARV could have done, should have done, might have done is irrelevant to me. This is a first class job done and one, I may add is all too common.

My only observation is - did the taser connect correctly?

• Like 2

Member Achievements

James255

I hope my post didnt come across as criticism. I think those officers were very brave and did really well.

My point was that unarmed officers wouldn't  be put in to these situations.

Edited by James255

Member Achievements

Zulu 22
5 minutes ago, James255 said:

I hope my post didnt come across as criticism. I think those officers were very brave and did really well.

My point was that unarmed officers wouldn't  be put in to these situations.

You show a complete lack of what could have happened, but then you are not a Police Officer. ARV's were on route but in that time anything copuld have happened. Had the ARV's arrived the man would probably ended up dead and the shooting officer would have spend months possibly years waiting for his name to be cleared. Sometimes  as a Police Officer a situation arises  where the circumstances mean that direct action has to be taken. It is a fact of life that we have to come to live with. The only thing that you have got right is "I think those officers were very brave and did really well".

Your earlier comment6s could have been offensive to officers, perhaps because you lack of knowledge of life threatening  incidents.

• Like 2

Member Achievements

James255
13 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

You show a complete lack of what could have happened, but then you are not a Police Officer. ARV's were on route but in that time anything copuld have happened. Had the ARV's arrived the man would probably ended up dead and the shooting officer would have spend months possibly years waiting for his name to be cleared. Sometimes  as a Police Officer a situation arises  where the circumstances mean that direct action has to be taken. It is a fact of life that we have to come to live with. The only thing that you have got right is "I think those officers were very brave and did really well".

Your earlier comment6s could have been offensive to officers, perhaps because you lack of knowledge of life threatening  incidents.

I don't think my comments could have been offensive at all. 

There's nothing to suggest that ARVs were definitely responding.

That brave officer, unfortunately, could have ended up dead. Taser should bot be used for knife incidents without lethal cover. 

Member Achievements

mike88

Heroic actions from all the officers there. Must've been a brown pants moment watching him fly at the door like that and the taser not putting him down. That could've gone very very wrong, I think the officer by the door being a big unit had a lot to do with it not being any worse. He even manged to get back to his feet after being tasered and with them all on him. BWV is fantastic I think it's great that forces are starting to release footage to show what we have to deal with. That chap should thank the officers for risking their lives to detain him non lethally, I think if it was an ARV instead he would've been shot dead.

Member Achievements

Mac7
Taser should bot be used for knife incidents without lethal cover. 

Not necessarily. It would have been the text book response to this situation to have taser officers or AFO’s with taser and shields with a firearms authority dealing with this incident. However, this is not always possible. The officers decided to intervene after, no doubt constantly spinning the NDM.

The suspect is fortunate to come away with his life.

Member Achievements

CountyCop
59 minutes ago, James255 said:

I don't think my comments could have been offensive at all. 

There's nothing to suggest that ARVs were definitely responding.

That brave officer, unfortunately, could have ended up dead. Taser should bot be used for knife incidents without lethal cover. 

I have to agree with you on this James, again we have situation where officer have just got by on dumb luck again, my opinion an ARV should have been sent to that and thats what I would have been asking for.  I noticed that these officers were carrying the X2 as well it would have been interesting to see how this would have went down with the X26.

The reality is he is waving two knives about I cringed when that officer tackled him at the door, he was lucky not to be stabbed. I mean what would have happened if that was a smaller officer or if he overpowered that officer?

The reality is had that happened the only real force that would have stopped him would have been deadly, from an ARV. I do appreciate we don't all live in the Met with a crew 2 minutes away but that shouldn't override our common sense.

Im not disputing the bravery of these officers it took a lot to confront that man, especially the aforementioned officer pinning him against the door. 

I am sure the attitude would have been different from some of you on here had he stabbed those officers or killed them. I don't agree with the logic of 'oh well no one got hurt and everyone is ok', that to me just seems strange.

• Like 2

Member Achievements

James255
49 minutes ago, Mac7 said:

Not necessarily. It would have been the text book response to this situation to have taser officers or AFO’s with taser and shields with a firearms authority dealing with this incident. However, this is not always possible. The officers decided to intervene after, no doubt constantly spinning the NDM.

The suspect is fortunate to come away with his life.

Senior officers and the government need to take the threat from edged weapons towards officers more seriously. I'm aware that since taser has been rolled out more widely, taser officers have been sent to jobs which ARVs should attend. This needs to stop.

I think sidearms should be issued, at the very least, to a small number of officers on response.

Edited by James255
  • Like 2

Member Achievements

SimonT

I'm just glad the suspect got a reasonable prison sentence for it. 2 years seems entirely reasonable for 3 stabs to the chest. 

Sometimes in policing you have to just get it done, for whatever reason. You have to hope you get through it then that the law, management, pcc, psd, media, cps and everyone else agrees. 

Member Achievements

cookyy2k
3 hours ago, SD said:

Does carrying a firearm prevent people from using tactical communication?

Not my point, the poster specifically said "would attend and aim their guns at him". I don't know about you but someone suffering a drug induced paranoid episode probably won't respond well to someone rocking up and pointing a gun at them.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

There are 47 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David