Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Techie1

Liverpool Echo: How you could LOSE your driving licence - just for paying for your drive-thru meal

Hyphen

It is an interesting point that has been raised and I am sure a lot of people do this. I don’t tend to use Apple Pay to be fair, I just use the usual contactless with a card.

Im guessing Apple Pay accesses the internet to process the payment? I ask because it would only fall foul if it is for some sort of communication via the internet ie sending and receiving. 

Even then, who on earth would stick someone on for the mobile phone offence if they are stationary with the handbrake on and swipe their Apple Pay like contactless when ordering their food but happen to leave the engine running. It would take some sort of jobsworth.

Plus it would prevent me from getting my meal :D

Burnsy2023
2 minutes ago, Hyphen said:

It is an interesting point that has been raised and I am sure a lot of people do this. I don’t tend to use Apple Pay to be fair, I just use the usual contactless with a card.

Im guessing Apple Pay accesses the internet to process the payment? I ask because it would only fall foul if it is for some sort of communication via the internet ie sending and receiving. 

Even then, who on earth would stick someone on for the mobile phone offence if they are stationary with the handbrake on and swipe their Apple Pay like contactless when ordering their food but happen to leave the engine running. It would take some sort of jobsworth.

Plus it would prevent me from getting my meal :D

Contactless payments don't use the Internet. You can still use it in airplane mode.

Hyphen

Cheers @Burnsy2023 I didn’t know that.

I guess this is the problem with a lot of legislation. It is from a time when things like this weren’t even imagined let alone being common place on smartphones.

I would say that it might be a struggle to prove the offence then particularly if someone did have the phone in airplane mode.

MerseyLLB

The question is... yet again... who are these officers who are issuing tickets in these circumstances?

They may as well walk round local pubs and issue tickets for being drunk on licensed premises!

Hyphen
18 minutes ago, MerseyLLB said:

The question is... yet again... who are these officers who are issuing tickets in these circumstances?

They may as well walk round local pubs and issue tickets for being drunk on licensed premises!

Don’t give people ideas, I’m sure there are some queuing up for the extra ticket books

Conor James

Hardly enforceable unless of course we have a bobby at each pay booth, not sure it’s even worth awareness, as it would probably not be in the public interest to prosecute.

Member of Public

I suppose its all down to the lawful definition of 'driving' - simply having the engine running, even while parked with the handbrake applied. If the vehicle is parked, handbrake applied and in neutral (or 'park' if an automatic) then from a commonsense perspective it does seem incredibly unnecessary and disproportionate. But having said that, it is of course the officer's prerogative should they choose to uphold the law to the very letter, and so I wouldn't criticize them for it if that's the way they choose to operate, although a little discretion/commonsense would be appreciated in a situation like that, in my own personal opinion. 

Techie1
Author of the topic Posted

Merseyside's Road Traffic dept have replied to our tweet on the article

Plus we had a twitter poll as below.