Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
obsidian_eclipse

A professional rugby player, Tasered six times after driving at 150mph in a police chase, has been jailed.

obsidian_eclipse

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-43306423

A professional rugby player, Tasered six times after driving at 150mph in a police chase, has been jailed.

Scott Moore crashed into a house in Leigh and fought officers, threatening one with a Taser he stole from them.

The ex-England rugby league star, 30, used "his size and experience on the rugby field" to evade arrest, Greater Manchester Police said.

He was jailed for 23 months at Bolton Crown Court after admitting dangerous driving and assault.

Moore, of Ranworth Drive, Lowton, Wigan, was disqualified from driving for two years.

Police spotted Moore in the early hours of 14 October 2016 driving a black Mercedes at speed along Chaddock Lane towards the East Lancashire Road.

He refused to pull over, sparking a pursuit during which he overtook a lorry at 100mph on a stretch of roadworks which had a speed limit of 30mph.

He then accelerated at more than 150mph into a housing estate in Leigh and crashed into the wall of a house before stopping at a dead end, police said.

'Tug of war'

Moore elbowed an officer and "violently resisted arrest in a struggle lasting 50 minutes" during which he was Tasered six times but "kept rising to his feet to fight and charge at officers".

At one point, the former St Helens, Widnes and Wakefield hooker grabbed the Taser's wires after being stunned and removed them from his body.

He then grabbed the Taser in a "tug of war" with the officer, shouting: "You're getting it now!" while pointing it at the officer's face, police said.

The terrified officer fought with Moore to release it from his hand and the other officer struck him numerous times. Moore eventually dropped the Taser and, following a further struggle, was detained.

The officers had never in their careers "been so scared nor witnessed such a violent individual", Det Con Lynsey Watson-Perry said.

One officer had to undergo surgery.

"Whatever level of force he is used to displaying on the pitch, this was not a game - people's lives were in danger", she added.

mike88

Pathetic sentence as usual.

I wonder why he didn't stop? It sounds like a drink/drugs/mental health episode of some kind but there's no explanation in the article? I'm certain in many other countries he would've been shot dead after threatening an officer with a stolen taser and justifiably so.

Edited by mike88

andi

He was absolutely high as kite on ecstasy and cocaine, and had been drinking.

I know the officer quoted in the article, and I know a bit of the job, and it was apparently utterly insane. The cops did a great job and he should have got much longer.

The only way to stop him was to baton him repeatedly to the head. It was made out immediately afterwards locally to be a case of police brutality [emoji849]

Pavillion
1 hour ago, mike88 said:

Pathetic sentence as usual.

I would have thought 23 months for dangerous driving and  assault is about right.

Why do you think it is pathetic?

andi

Two assault to resist arrest, actual bodily harm, dangerous driving, and possession of a prohibited weapon.

I think it was pretty lenient, 1 cop is still unable to work after his arm was broken.

You'd get 6 months just for the speed he was doing, so it doesn't seem much extra for that level of violence.

Beaker

Hasn't this tool been binned from every team he has ever been on? 

mike88
3 hours ago, Pavillion said:

I would have thought 23 months for dangerous driving and  assault is about right.

Why do you think it is pathetic?

Because there's a plethora of offences there, ABH on it's own carries a maximum 5 year sentence and he managed to assault three police officers. Not to mention driving at 150 mph while under the influence of drugs and the danger he posed to other road users.  I hope he's learned his lesson for everyone's sake, but I don't think under 2 years in prison is enough time to dramatically change someone's behavior who is capable of this level of violence. He won't serve 23 months anyway, how long will it take the officers to recover from their injuries?

Edited by mike88

Pavillion
9 hours ago, andi said:

Two assault to resist arrest, actual bodily harm, dangerous driving, and possession of a prohibited weapon.

I think it was pretty lenient, 1 cop is still unable to work after his arm was broken.

You'd get 6 months just for the speed he was doing, so it doesn't seem much extra for that level of violence.

6 hours ago, mike88 said:

Because there's a plethora of offences there, ABH on it's own carries a maximum 5 year sentence and he managed to assault three police officers. Not to mention driving at 150 mph while under the influence of drugs and the danger he posed to other road users.  I hope he's learned his lesson for everyone's sake, but I don't think under 2 years in prison is enough time to dramatically change someone's behavior who is capable of this level of violence. He won't serve 23 months anyway, how long will it take the officers to recover from their injuries?

So the both of you are not suggesting the sentence for the offences he was charged with and found guilty of are lenient, you are suggesting the charge for his offences was incorrect?

Thereby resulting in less a lesser custodial sentence.

Edited by Pavillion

andi

Those I listed were the offences he was charged with.

Pavillion
1 hour ago, andi said:

Those I listed were the offences he was charged with.

So the question is, of those charges, what offences did the court find him guilty of? 

Do the offences the person was guilty of warrant your statement that the the sentence was pretty lenient?

andi
So the question is, of those charges, what offences did the court find him guilty of? 
Do the offences the person was guilty of warrant your statement that the the sentence was pretty lenient?
All of them. He pled guilty.

IrateShrike
12 hours ago, Pavillion said:

When the sentencing guidelines are considered, it probably is "about right".

In much the same way that sentencing within the guidelines for people convicted for drugs offences is "about right", as I am sure you also completely agree.

Pavillion
3 minutes ago, andi said:

All of them. He pled guilty.

The article (quoted below) only appears to state he admitted to dangerous driving and assault.

13 hours ago, obsidian_eclipse said:

He was jailed for 23 months at Bolton Crown Court after admitting dangerous driving and assault.

Do you have any sources I can review in order to confirm your version of the story?

Pavillion
4 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

When the sentencing guidelines are considered, it probably is "about right".

In regards to the Rugby players admission of guilt of the apparent offences given in the article, yes I agree. The sentence appears normal.

6 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

In much the same way that sentencing within the guidelines for people convicted for drugs offences is "about right", as I am sure you also completely agree.

I would agree with the guidelines for drug offences where one person was causing harm to another.

I do not think that you or I would agree on the sentencing guidelines for those who use drugs responsibly on a personal level in the privacy of their own home. I am a reasonable person though.

andi

https://www.wigantoday.net/news/crime/rl-star-awaits-fate-over-assaults-1-8988601

Also had charges of fail to stop and no insurance.

The court decided that the dd and firearms charge would lie on file, then gave him 23 months for the rest. He'll serve less than a year, and the cop he assaulted still can't work 18 months on. It's poor.