Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Chief Bakes

BBC: Bigamist spotted on Ant and Dec TV show with 'second wife' is jailed

Chief Bakes

Bigamist spotted on Ant and Dec TV show with 'second wife' is jailed

• 10 January 2018
Daniel Gundry (third from left)
Image caption Daniel Gundry had married a second woman in the Seychelles by forging documents

A bigamist who was caught out when his wife saw him on live television with another woman has been jailed.

Daniel Gundry's wife Helen Gundry was watching Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway in March 2016 when she spotted him with Susan Brooker.

Gundry, 39, of Ashford, Surrey, initially denied he had married Ms Brooker but later admitted bigamy.

Magistrates sitting in Warrington said he was guilty of deceiving both women and causing them "humiliation".

Image caption Helen Gundry said she is "glad" her estranged husband had "finally been found out"

As Gundry was jailed for six months, Helen Gundry, from Warrington, and their daughter left the court in tears.

Daniel and Helen Gundry married in 1998 and had lived apart for several years but the court heard Gundry had told his wife he wanted to get back together.

While watching the ITV show with their daughter, Helen Gundry was shocked to see her estranged husband, who they thought was working in Dubai, appear in one of the items.

He was among the guests being taken to the surprise live wedding of Ms Brooker's sister.

Image copyright Getty Images
Image caption Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway had staged a surprise wedding, which Daniel Grundy attended

Following the programme, Mrs Gundry discovered through social media that he had married again and both women made complaints to Cheshire Police.

Gundry initially said he had only had a blessing in the Seychelles with Ms Brooker but the court heard he had married her by forging documents.

The court was also told he deceived both women over money.

In a victim impact statement, Mrs Gundry told how she had suffered sleepless nights and depression.

"He has been lying for a long time so I'm just glad that finally he's been found out," she said after the sentencing.

Ms Brooker said her whole world had caved in and her life was "going in slow motion."

The district judge said he had caused both women "embarrassment, shame and humiliation."

Gundry, who was not legally represented, told the court he accepted in full the damage he had caused.

View the full article

Member Achievements

ParochialYokal

Is it really proportionate to send someone to prison for six months for this?

Member Achievements

Hyphen
On 11/01/2018 at 22:52, ParochialYokal said:

Is it really proportionate to send someone to prison for six months for this?

Just seen this article, absolutely unbelievable. I would agree that it is absolutely not proportionate, particularly with some of the sentences given for fairly serious offences where recidivists are involved. 

He of course is in the wrong but it seems a bit of an outdated sentence.

Member Achievements

Reasonable Man

I'm wondering what he was sentenced for. The story says he 'deceived both women over money'.
Was he imprisoned for the fraud element rather than the bigamy in isolation?
Fraud cases are ten a penny but bigamy only comes along once in a while so makes good press.

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

I hope that you are not implying that Bigamy is not a serious offence. By his actions he has destroyed  serveral  lives.

Member Achievements

Hyphen

Well it is an offence. He has rightly been convicted for it. I don’t believe that it warrants such a penalty, particulalry when far more serious and damaging offences bring about lesser sentences.

I am not condoning it, however when you say ‘serious offence’ I would say not, when compared with many other serious offences.

If we are saying it is because he has destroyed several lives through this then cheating on a partner should surely be an offence? That too deceives partners and causes a lot of damage to the lives of those involved.In essence this is what we have just with the marriage certificates thrown in to the mix.

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

Nonsense, married is a legally binding agreement between two people in the eyes of God, and is still the bedrock of society. Legal partnerships have the same protection.

Member Achievements

Hyphen
28 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

Nonsense, married is a legally binding agreement between two people in the eyes of God, and is still the bedrock of society. Legal partnerships have the same protection.

I am saying I agree that is an offence and I did say he has rightly been convicted. It just seems to be a heavy sentence. 

Member Achievements

PC Wannabe

If people aren't responsible enough to get married (and that's not an insult - I don't consider myself responsible enough) then they shouldn't get married in the first place. There was also a daughter involved - again, if people can't get their act together, they shouldn't settle down and have kids.

I do agree though that the sentence is severe considering that in today's news alone, I've read of two violent crimes which have resulted in suspended sentences. One domestic related, the other an attack on a neighbour, both involved substantial levels of violence. To my mind, the men concerned in both those cases would be far better candidates for a custodial sentence. 

• Like 1

Member Achievements