Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Buck

Calling Specials in for a State of Emergency

Buck

I've long "known" that were the Prime Minister or Home Secretary to declare a "State of Emergency" for the United Kingdom then Special Constables could by virtue be "activated" as full time Police Officers in order to deal with said emergency. Does anyone know where I've got this from and if it is in fact in any legislation or regs or is even true in any way?

Wikipedia seems to suggest it is actually HRH who declares it and it may have a relation to the Civil Contingencies Act 2004 but short of reading the whole thing I'm not so sure...

Member Achievements

Chief Cheetah

Legal Disclaimer

This area of the forum is intended for members to seek advice on Law and Police Procedures applicable to England & Wales. Just like you would pop into your local police station to should the need arise. Any advice on a specific area of law is from either currently-serving UK police officers, and is offered to the best of their ability, or from members of the public who are perhaps aspiring to be serving police officers and may not hold the necessary level of knowledge to provide such assistance or by any other member who may offer their opinion. Either way such advice can only be treated as an opinion and nothing more.

Members should look for the Verified Members Badge that appears on the posters name as advice from members holding this badge are verified police employees. The information is based on their own individual experiences, expertise and training. It is stressed, however, that if any information or advice found in these forums is used by any person or organisation, then the respective police officer(s) and staff can not and will not take any responsibility for any outcome in any investigation in a criminal or civil enquiry. Any advice or opinion offered is to the best of the individuals knowledge and ability based on the information you have supplied, and we will stress that we will never be knowingly misleading or untruthful in content.

• Please note, we do not offer advice or assistance in order to avoid penalties that you have incurred or maybe pending.
  • Such requests are deemed to be of an Operational nature and against our main Forum Rules.
  • You should always seek Legal Advice from a Qualified Solicitor in the event of any impending prosecutions or other involved legal matter.

Police Community Team

Member Achievements

Beaker

As I understand it only in the event of war can SCs be compelled to duty.

Member Achievements

Richhamdo

@Beaker  Talking of war duties ,I know that I when I joined the specials to help out on Friday/ Saturday night etc I was told that we must do war duties training, we did a lot it seemed to me, map reading etc. We remained special constables and never ever heard any talk of us being made into regs then (which is going back a bit admittedly)but hopefully we would have been given some remuneration. 

In the event of a four minute warning of a nuclear blast we were to take cover along with the regulars and when the all clear sounded the specials would supposedly go outside from the station (wearing our issued personal docimetre) and taking the main Geiger counter with us to take readings. This machine was a bit like the one JB had in Dr No to test where the rock samples taken  from Crab Key had been. 

I can’t remember what the roentgens safety reading had to be now but I was told that the idea was that the regs were going to stay put inside while we did this, it all sounds a bit weird now but we had at least ninety or a hundred specials then in our div. In those days  our job was to plot damage and also maybe guard the food/ petrol outlets etc, how we were supposed to do this I’m not quite sure, and I don’t think our trainer was either.   I did about      years of all this until something happened abroad and they knocked it all on the head virtually overnight, much to the regulars annoyance, (they liked the day off when they had their training at Hq. A few told me  it was a nice steady day)

After this time I never heard another word about it or had any more training for such like other than the JESMIP of course (joint emergency services major incident procedures) . We seemed to get that every year till it was coming out our ears. That’s all I know about specials war duties training and such like so it isn’t much and probably worth zilch. I wonder if someone has a cunning plan for special constables to follow hidden away should the wheel come off big time.  :D. Rich. 

Member Achievements

Mac7

I had images of Dads Army in my head when I read that

• Like 1

Member Achievements

BlueBob

Wasn't that the 'Nuclear Ned' training and visits to the shelters etc?

Member Achievements

obsidian_eclipse

I was told years ago that in the event of war we would be classed as a restricted occupation and be used to support the regular force. I guess in a nuclear blast we could don our hi visibility jackets and deflect the blast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Member Achievements

Richhamdo
On 10/01/2018 at 07:23, Mac7 said:

I had images of Dads Army in my head when I read that emoji121.png

@Mac7 talking of dad’s army, actually most of us in the class weren’t too old. I was about twenty one or just over, but there was a few about fifty or thereabouts and had been in for ages or it seemed to me at the time. I remember one who was asked to resign who still had a high collar tunic jacket. :D.

The retirement  age then was fifty five for specials, (they weren’t as forward thinkng in the  early seventies as they are now.) I don’t think they started the extensions until a bit later but I just forget now . Even then it was only for  five years and I can recall quite a few who weren’t happy campers when told their time was up.

Anyway I’m sure the specials would stand up and be counted if the “bomb drops”. Personaly I think it’s more likely to be chemical/ germ/ telecommunications problems but then what do I know, ha. Rich.

Member Achievements

Posh

I've had a look, but can't find anything. The College Special Constabulary manual also confirms there is no statute to mandate us to turn out for duty. 

However I'm grateful for a good employer who would release me without a second thought if it really hit the fan. 

Member Achievements