Notice Board
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Great Deals

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Adele Germishuizen

Recruitment of South African Police members by UK police

Adele Germishuizen

Good day

I am currently a Captain in the South African Police Force. I work in a specialized unit dealing with forensic, photographic and fingerprint investigations of crime scenes. I have  a degree in Policing as well as various courses that was done through the South African Police service for the specific field I am employed in. 

I would like to fine out what the requirements for a police member from outside the UK are to apply to join one of the police forces in the UK.  

I would appreciate any feedback from someone that has knowledge of this process

Kind Regards

Adele Germishuizen

Growley

One of them is that you need to have indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

Member Achievements

Indiana Jones

If I remember correctly you need to have been resident in the UK for three years also.

Member Achievements

Mac7

I would have thought all your questions could be found on most forces website or a phone call to the force you are interested in applying to.

Member Achievements

C. Spencer
On 09/01/2018 at 16:50, Indiana Jones said:

If I remember correctly you need to have been resident in the UK for three years also.

Not for all forces.

Your statement would definitely be correct for the Metropolitan Police Service of London Boroughs (ex. City). where you need to be a resident for 3 of the last 6 years.

Indiana Jones
33 minutes ago, C. Spencer said:

Not for all forces.

Your statement would definitely be correct for the Metropolitan Police Service of London Boroughs (ex. City). where you need to be a resident for 3 of the last 6 years.

I'm not talking about the Met's requirement to be a resident so you 'better represent Londoners'. I'm talking about having a verifiable time period which is easier to check if you've been in the UK for a certain period of time. Check the CoP's APP on vetting and the Vetting Code of Practice.

• Thanks 1

Member Achievements

obsidian_eclipse

I can imagine there's quite a few people considering their future in South Africa at the moment, it's not going to be particularly pleasent. We have had a few ex South African cop's up this way and they have all been very dedicated indeed.

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut

I imagine it will be a case of starting from the bottom again. 

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster

Coming a bit late to the thread but some information which  may be relevant.  Back in the early 2000s the SA Govt introduced a law that anyone serving in a foreign military had to give up their SA citizenship.  I knew two officers who were affected.  One chose to give up his SA passport and revert to his British one, the other decided that he would leave the British Army and return to SA where he has been very happy.  I mention this in case there is a similar restriction on police activity given the closeness to Government.

Member Achievements