Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Rupert88

Failed vetting - Appeal in 7 days

Rupert88

Hello

I am unsure from the letter provided by a non Met force whether it is myself that has failed the vetting or a third party, so it is very difficult for me to write the appeal. The letter is from the recommended letter which forces now issue following the new guidance issued in Oct 2017.  app.college.police/uk/app-content/professional-standards/vetting/

'The purpose of vetting is to provide an acceptable level of assurance as to the integrity of individuals who have access to police data etc. Detailed checks are carried out on the applicant, family members, associates and their addresses.' (I live with my parents during university time and in halls at Uni, I have no siblings or step parents).  'Any information held on police systems will be considered when looking at an individual's suitability.

Information has come to light during the examination of all of the particulars supplied by you for this process to be undertaken, which has been risk assessed and has resulted in your application being terminated'.

I have been allowed 7 days in which to appeal.

My parents have not had any dealings with the police apart from speeding points on their licences over 10 years ago, these were not declared. None of us have any debts, bad credit scores etc., so we are confident it is not financial.

The only other thing I could think of is that it could be a friend in my FB profile which I know nothing about, or I have forgotten to disclose an old social media account like you-tube. How far does vetting extend in the family?  I am wondering whether I have anyone else cousins, aunts/uncles who may have convictions/points/fines etc.

Can anyone shed any light on the failed vetting please?  Because of the Christmas holidays, I am unable to make contact with anyone in the vetting department now and time is running out.

Many thanks for the relies.

HazRat
36 minutes ago, Rupert88 said:

The only other thing I could think of is that it could be a friend in my FB profile which I know nothing about, or I have forgotten to disclose an old social media account like you-tube. How far does vetting extend in the family?  I am wondering whether I have anyone else cousins, aunts/uncles who may have convictions/points/fines etc.

I haven’t been through the vetting process in a long while. Do you have to declare FB, Twitter, YouTube etc etc? Is it likely you have an account you’ve forgotten to declare?

If you genuinely don’t know then I’d suggest doing some research yourself. Do the online driving licence check, subject access request in case your details have been used on police systems and an Experian credit check.

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut
42 minutes ago, HazRat said:

I haven’t been through the vetting process in a long while. Do you have to declare FB, Twitter, YouTube etc etc? Is it likely you have an account you’ve forgotten to declare?

If you genuinely don’t know then I’d suggest doing some research yourself. Do the online driving licence check, subject access request in case your details have been used on police systems and an Experian credit check.

Social media accounts are certain to form part of the open source checks. 

This is why I would close my accounts, some argue against that but it’s the easiest way to avoid issues. Who hasn’t said something daft on social media when much younger. 

Member Achievements

Policey_Man

To be honest, it's really hard to say. If you've been fully honest and open with them, it's worth having a conversation with them to see if they will disclose any more information. Ask them if there is any chance of you passing in future? That might give a hint. Ask them if it would help for you to provide references?

Do you trust that your parents and family members, such as brothers and sisters, have not hidden something from you?

Are your finances all ok?

It is worth noting that if you fail with one force, it does not mean you'll fail with every force. I'm not sure why you mention specifically that this is non-Met, but what I can say about the Met is that people who often fail with other forces do sometimes get in in the Met, so it might be worth applying there? It seems the Met is more willing to look at things on a case-by-case basis.

Member Achievements

Rupert88

Thank you for the replies.

i have no siblings, the only people listed on my form were my parents.  I also live away at Uni, so potentially it could be there.

i am very confident that it was not my parents and there have never been any financial problems for any of us at home.

Do the Police vet your wider family, maybe there is a skeleton we do not know about?  Or is it just the people on your form? The letter mentions associates.

I will give them a ring after the bank holiday. I have drafted the appeal and asked the question about applying again at the end and also given them permissions on look at the references provided to HR.  I don't have copies of those and I will not have time now with it being Christmas to ask for copies.

My parents are willing to ask for their info under a subject access request.

Edited by Rupert88

Jeebs

Maybe a uni housemate?

Member Achievements

TheCopman123

I'm sure they do check your social media such as facebook and twitter,

How many friends do you have on facebook?

It's been said before that someone failed vetting due to having a crazy amount of facebook friends, a lot of which they barely know, something to think about

Also YouTube I'm not sure about, quite possibly could check it but it is just a basic check.

When I was informed that my vetting was started I took the time to go through my entire social media account and removed anything that could be seen in a bad light as well as a massive reduction in my friends list (mainly school friends who I know but wouldn't say they're my friends)

Hopefully you can sort it out, all the best

Member Achievements

Mazza

Have you declared all your uni addresses? Could be a uni housemate. Social media profiles are also big pitfalls if you’ve posted something dodgy or you’ve “liked” certain pages.

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster

I was told that at least as far as Special recruiting went, 60% of applicants failed vetting and 90% of those were down to social media.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

PinkSparkle

Hi. Having failed MV vetting, i am currently going through the appeal process for a police staff vacancy. Would be interested to hear how you got on and the outcome of any appeal.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Funkywingnut
3 hours ago, PinkSparkle said:

Hi. Having failed MV vetting, i am currently going through the appeal process for a police staff vacancy. Would be interested to hear how you got on and the outcome of any appeal.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

You dont need to post in multiple places

Member Achievements

blakey

it is mad to think, if police stuff/officers fail vetting for a different role. I had a friend who was a PC applied for CPO role, which he needed a MV vetting level. and he failed

Member Achievements

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David