Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
quickdantheman

SC - Appeal Process/Rights On Vetting?

quickdantheman

Hi All,

Firstly a huge thank you to all who are currently serving this Country, under any role that is currently within a police force, I truly admire what you represent.

My joining this site is very recent, and a last port of call if I am completely honest. I have had to many knockbacks now over the years, but most recent is vetting.

I am told as an external applicant that I have no right of appeal, & that section 6 of some type of act 1996 there is no reason to disclose the decision to myself.

Added to this, I am informed that under no circumstances, in any capacity or post am I able to apply to this force again, I am stunned!.

I have sought local assistance via my local MP, which at first looked promising etc, with the avenue of data protection, right of appeal, subject to access form etc..............

Sadly this concluded my MP informed me with the Chief Constable himself explaining via telephone, that the decision was final, that I am not of suitability in the role of constable and there was no right of appeal?

Is there anyone out there, that can look at this ethically and explain to me where I go now. I am confused, as I currently work as a volunteer in an organisation that works from the same office as police. So I can pass a CRB but not vetting? Confused.......................?

Appreciate any advice

Hyphen

Hi @quickdantheman, it sounds awful what has happened and for it to come to an end at the vetting stage particularly after getting through the other stages.

Vetting is a strange beast. Each force can vary and each circumstance is looked at on merit. Sometimes there doesn’t appear to be a rhyme or reason to it from the candidates point of view. You’re right in what has been said, they won’t disclose the reasons usually. 

From what you have said though it certainly sounds like there is something fairly serious that has flagged up. It sounds very final to say that you can’t apply again to the force. Is there any suggestion of dishonesty? Have you overlooked anything during the application/vetting forms? You also need to think about anything that would come from reference checks, is there anything in previous jobs that would raise concern? What about arrests/investigations or any suggestion of being involved in crime? Have you got any friends/associates who are involved in crime? The other major one would be close family, is there anything that would raise concern? (Although if you’re not that close you may not know).

Usually when people have issues with vetting it tends to lead to further interviews or if a failure people can re-apply in the future. It is quite concerning that you’ve been told you can’t apply again. 

I would definitely have a think about the questions I have put in the reply to see if it maybe gives any ideas.

Member Achievements

Mac7

Like Hyphen has said, I would expect there maybe something fairly serious that has been uncovered during the vetting process. I would suggest if it was that serious that you would know about it or have an idea as to what it could be. Maybe it’s time to be honest with yourself and accept that it’s not going to happen. You’ve been all the way to the top and if the Chief is saying no then I’m afraid it’s the end of the road. You’ve probably had more help than most.

I’m not sure where ethics come into it. You’ve been told the legislation the force is using to halt your application and no doubt why they cannot disclose problems with your vetting.

Good luck in your future endeavours but I think it’s time to call it a day.

Member Achievements

quickdantheman

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate it, I genuinely have exhausted all possibilities before joining this site.

I had hoped to walk amongst all of you as a beacon of light, in what is clearly dark times ahead for our Country, not have to present myself this way.

Frontline policing has changed dramatically, and I feel with each rejection on previous applications I have changed for the better too.

I have been very honest with myself, and drawn a line with joining, but then this year Manchester happened, and a local neighbour beaten, so the embers ignite again.

My partner and kids to encourage me to continue, I have a few of my colleagues at work who are SC and have told me to apply.

I am aware that police will have to look at my whole family and life etc, I would not have started out with this if my family etc where known to police.

Policing is something I feel is instilled in me as a person, it's not a whimsy idea I have had last moment or a career change.

I can assure you that my levels of integrity and honesty are genuinely very high, so much so that if an organisation I have respected & looked up to all my life says no, then I appreciate their decision and there systems used to implement it are necessary and just.

However, it is very difficult to accept that I am unable to embark out on a career path with no way to process where I made the error, if indeed it was my making. I would not be wasting my time, an overstretched and underfunded forces time, or indeed either of your time, if I truly had any inclination of what the issue is.

It's confusing that I can serve in the same office as police, sit and have lunch, talk about the weather, be encouraged by officers to apply, that I would be really beneficial to the constabulary. How can I be good enough for a force to have me in an office like some sort of dirty secret as a volunteer, yet in the capacity of a special I am unfit to wear the uniform.

For me it seems a double standard really, and does not make sense, on my journey I have heard of a SC failing vetting to become a regular, but still able to carry out and execute his current duties as a SC? If this is as serious as it presents then I would not be in this current dicey dilemma, full stop.

I am to aware that vetting is a massive requirement. that there are different levels depending on your role, so I can only assume this is the very situation I fall into. The police force in question have not been very helpful at all, when its pointed out to me that I have had more help than most, it was my own presenting of the situation to an MP, professional standards just kept quoting that I have no right of appeal.

I was just dropped like a hot stone, it was even presented to me by the force that declined my services, that it was not to be taken that other forces would conclude my application in the same way. So professional standards (HR) have genuinely confused me. As I have no idea if I am wasting the time and resources of future forces, evidently the force in question is a categorical no.

But ultimately where do I go from here, continue as a volunteer in my current role, but not be seen or help as I wish to help. 

Mac7

Your level of checks to do your current role will be different to that required to be an special. You may sit in the same office, support the police in some way, but every officer or special is privvy to sensitive information that you won’t be regarding current operations, intelligence persons of interest etc. All that information needs safeguarding and we can’t have people in the police that are a risk to that. Then we come onto integrity of evidence that you could gather as a special, or present in statements or assist in other officers gathering. If there is any question mark over an officers integrity then that has massive implications in criminal proceedings.

I don’t think it’s fair to say the force have been unhelpful. I’m sure they have given you as much information as they legally can. Whilst I appreciate that may be frustrating you have to understand we are bound by rules, regulations, policy and law. To be blunt, you have applied and failed the vetting process. I’m not sure what you think they owe you.

I admire you passion for wanting to do the job but I think you need to move on from it. You could apply to another force but you will probably have the same outcome.

Could you approach your family members/partners and have honest conversations with them to see where potential vetting problems lie? Poor financial history is a reason why people fail also.

Something is wrong somewhere with either your past, a family members past or an associates past.

Member Achievements

Hyphen

I think the advice given by @Mac7 is spot on. If you still have no idea why you would have failed then unfortunately it would suggest an issue with family or your partner. I think there needs to be some frank discussions there to try and work out what the issue is.

I genuinely don’t know how easy it is but could you and your partner/family go down the route of a subject access request? Depending what can be disclosed this may give some idea about what information is held?

I think it is disappointing but it doesn’t sound like there is much more you can do, as above applying for a different force would likely end in the same result.

Member Achievements

Sir Penguin
I think the advice given by [mention=4652]Mac7[/mention] is spot on. If you still have no idea why you would have failed then unfortunately it would suggest an issue with family or your partner. I think there needs to be some frank discussions there to try and work out what the issue is.
I genuinely don’t know how easy it is but could you and your partner/family go down the route of a subject access request? Depending what can be disclosed this may give some idea about what information is held?
I think it is disappointing but it doesn’t sound like there is much more you can do, as above applying for a different force would likely end in the same result.

Subject access request for £10 and if you can’t see any issues with the information they have on you then you know it’s someone else!

Member Achievements

XA84

I have to say that I mirror what everybody else has said. 

I would certainly look into other nearby forces though as I'm aware of a friend that applied for once force and got dropped on vetting and then applied 6 months later to the next force to him and got through and this was for a regular position and not special. 

Did you pass your medical, could it be something to do with that? Are your finances ok, you can get your credit score and report these days so it may be worth looking into that. Failing that you may want to have the inevitable chat with your family which I imagine won't be a pleasant experience but if you feel you must know then it's something that you will have to do. 

In terms of the force that you applied to, I wouldn't bring it up with them any further as if the chief constable has got involved it will be final. 

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut

There is clearly something you haven’t disclosed and has been found out or your immediate family have some issue. 

First thing to do is question have you ever been in trouble with the police or any other authority (whether you think it relevant or not) we don’t know your history so answers will invariably be a bit thin. 

After that I would be looking at family and their connections. 

I am aware of s number of ex military who have failed police vetting due to poor and inaccurate record keeping of the military. However once they figured out what the issues were and re-approached the police force they were accepted. 

Member Achievements

Shmook
12 hours ago, Funkywingnut said:

There is clearly something you haven’t disclosed and has been found out or your immediate family have some issue. 

This. 

And it's something rather serious to be told you cannot ever re-apply. 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Lone Wolf

My first suggestion would be to do all you can to gather information that might potentially lead you to your answer.  A Subject Access Request for £10 is an inexpensive start, but don't be surprised if you are just sent a piece of paper which is blank except your name and date of birth on it.

Sign up to a credit reference agency like Experian, and check that.  There could be inaccurate information added by banks etc that you can request to be removed, or even evidence that you have been a victim of identity theft.

There is a reasonable likelihood that the reason you are unaware of why you have been turned down is because it is something completely unknown to you and beyond your control.  Perhaps even relating to something that occurred before you were even born.  Most people would find that really difficult to accept as a good reason, but the Chief Constable doesn't owe anyone a job in much the same way that you could apply to be a bus driver, shop worker, postal worker etc and they are under no duty to offer employment.

As for your comments about Specials failing regulars vetting but being permitted to continue as a Special - well despite a lot of Specials burying their heads in the sand and denying it, there is clearly a gap in recruitment standards even if not officially acknowledged.  I know it's another bitter pill for you to swallow and doesn't help much.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Member Achievements

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David