Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
SteveMcS

Altberg boots

SteveMcS

Hi all, 

After scouring google, I decided to buy altberg p1s ready for me starting in January. I ordered them online from the factory to get the discount after trying on in a store to get right size. They arrived this morning and one of the boots has lines going all around it. They look like what it should look like when the leather is broken in. As this is the first pair of boots I've ever bought, I have no idea if this is normal or I should send them back so I thought i'd ask on here first. I would imagine that the lines on the toe cap would make it quite hard to polish up to acceptable? And I don't want to get moaned at on any uniform inspections or anything. Sorry for large images.

koxZx2s.jpg?17tTplKR.jpg

XA84

Hi @SteveMcS

Welcome to our forum. 

I bought P1 Aqua's from the Altberg store directly and had no issues, I don't recall having any of those marks on them. 

If you're in doubt as to whether they should be there then I would contact Altberg directly as they are a fantastic company and dare say that they would change them for you if you asked. The marking on the show from the look down point of view almost makes me think that somebody has used them and has been kneeling causing the front to bend. 

Hope this helps and let us know how you get on. 

Member Achievements

Beaker

My P3s were like that out of the box, but as they're issued I didn't raise it. If you're paying for them I'd be inclined to at least enquire.

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster

Regarding your uniform inspections, maybe spend a tenner on a really cheap pair of cadet shoes (ebay) and polish them up.  If you have any ex-military on your intake they will help you get a good shine.   Atlberg produce their own gloss polish but I haven't used it so can't say how good it is.  For my own boots, I stick by the old army adage of Kiwi being the only polish I will let  near my boots.  I have a work pair and a best pair which are pretty damn good, even if I say so myself (and I just did!)

• Haha 1

Member Achievements

m_Cooper

I would say looking at it from where the creases are that its unlikely to have been caused by someone wearing them in.

I looks like something has been placed on it and it’s got that groove over time.

Having paid for it, as above give them a bell/email and I’m sure they’ll sort you out.

SteveMcS

I have emailed altberg and sent them the photos. Bow awaiting a response. I will post their reply here in case anyone has a similar issue in future.

MerseyLLB

3 and a half years down the line and my altberg PSU boots are still going despite being fully submerged in a river last night they seem to have taken it all. (Unfortunately water above my knees so waterproofing irrelevant!)

They've been scuffed, set on fire, used to kick doors in, through broken glass and all manner of other issues ... plus they are worn daily by me not just got public order duties.

A big thumbs up from me and when they do eventually give up the ghost I will be replacing them with the same - Altberg Peacekeeper P3 VS Aqua.

5*s!

Member Achievements

Beaker
18 minutes ago, MerseyLLB said:

3 and a half years down the line and my altberg PSU boots are still going despite being fully submerged in a river last night they seem to have taken it all. (Unfortunately water above my knees so waterproofing irrelevant!)

They've been scuffed, set on fire, used to kick doors in, through broken glass and all manner of other issues ... plus they are worn daily by me not just got public order duties.

A big thumbs up from me and when they do eventually give up the ghost I will be replacing them with the same - Altberg Peacekeeper P3 VS Aqua.

5*s!

Those are what we've been issued, got a few nicks in the front from rolling round on the floor, but they're just nicely broken in now.  Great boots, wasn't sure about them for the first couple of months as we don't wear them as much as regs, but they're are good. 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

SteveMcS

Altberg got back to me yesterday. They have said that the marks in the boot are just stress lines and to be expected from a natural material. However; they have offered to exchange for a new pair providing I pay return shipping which is reasonable and will be my plan of action.

SteveMcS

Just another update to this thread. As mentioned in my last post, I sent the boots back to altberg last week and they arrived this morning. I got a call from the altberg shop just now saying that the only pair in my size they had left were also "not perfect" (Her words - this time it's just a small dent on toecap and are A LOT better than the last pair) and emailed me a picture that i'll put at the end of this post. She also told me that they would not be getting any more before Christmas so I will probably take this pair as I don't want to risk not having them for when I start training January 8th, and they are, in my opinion, acceptable (though i'm tempted to wait for a response from someone with more experience than myself).

All in all, i'm hoping this is just a rare hiccup for altberg because after all the positive comments I've read about them, I've been left a tad disappointed. Over £100 is a lot of money for something that the seller themselves describes as not perfect.

jp7D5T4.jpg

m_Cooper

I’ve been buying altbergs for the past 12 years since I joined the Army and will fully back them up in saying that this indeed was a probably a hiccup.

Don’t let it put you off again in the future.

SteveMcS

m_Cooper, would you take the "not perfect" pair? I'm also considering seeing if they have an alternative boot. The P1 instead of the P1 Aqua or warrior/sneaker etc

m_Cooper

I certainly would. I’d have bartered for a discount or a free pair of insoles/socks for the mess around mind.

SteveMcS

Well, I took the replacement pair offered. I did try haggling, but the bloke I spoke to (James) wasn't having any of it and kept justifying it saying that the functionality or durability isn't compromised and that it is a natural material so to be expected etc.

I think I will be following advice from MajorDisastor and will buy a second hand pair of parade shoes. My local army/navy has them for £15. I'll bull them up and keep them for any inspections or anything, and have the altbergs as a work boot.

• Like 1

miffy

I wouldn't worry about that little dent, it will be looking fine once broken in and polished highly. Think when you're out on shift and end up in a scuffle and your boots will look a lot worse. Shoes are expected to be battered and think practicality. The dent won't affect the performance of the boot whatsoever. Altberg are a solid company, and you got a smashing deal with the discount compared to full price, and I'm not aware of any of the other brands such as Iowa offering discounts like Altberg

Member Achievements