Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Simoncole3

(Another) Vetting query

Simoncole3

Hi guys, sorry for another vetting quary/sob story but any optimism/supportwould be hugely appreciated. 

Here goes.. so I applied back in August to become a Special Constable for Avon and Somerset police. Passed the online test, went to open evening; all good. Then had the paper sift; this time last year when I applied I failed at this point however this year the god/s were looking down on me and I got through. Result. Next came the assesment centre at HQ. Was super nervous, didn’t know how I fared. Got my results last Wednesday; I smashed it! 5/15 A’s 9 B’s and 1 C(50% I’m serving the public, very close to failing). 78% overall, 55% is a pass for this constabulary so pretty good I think.

However, here comes the hiccup; the vetting. Issues number 1; back in 2012 I got a fine for drunken disorderly; got caught peeing down an allyway on a NYE night out. Really stupid, biggest regret of my life so far

Issue no 2; about 3 months ago I got caught running a red by a traffic camera. Again so stupid. I took the ‘What’s driving us course’ in lieu of points and a fine. So still have zero points on my licence.

Issue no 3. My dad. He went to Borstal when he was a kid, no idea what for, he’s never told me. We live approx 250 miles away and we only see each other a couple times a year. Small caveat on this; my Grandma is a magistrate and I assumed her and her family woild of been vetted for her role; if so then she passed. So shouldnt be too much of a hiccup I (really) hope.

It does say on the A & S vetting page on their website that the main people that fail vetting are people that have had FPNs within the last 5 years. I clearly fail in this department so is there any point even going to the physical/medical/ biometrical testing in a couple of weeks if I’m likely to fail at vetting? 

any words of wisdom, optimism would be greatly welcomed 

Mac7

First of all, at the moment you haven’t failed. You’ve got it in your head that you’ve failed or going to fail but you don’t know until the vetting starts so there is every reason to go onto the next stage.

In 2012 you would have mostly likely been given a PND (penalty notice for disorder) which will show on vetting. Maybe a covering letter to explain the circumstances would help. Drunk and Disorderly (D&D) behaviour is wide ranging. I would have told you to clear off rather than issue a PND but that’s by the by.

With regards to your red light offence; as you opted for the course and received no fine/points that won’t show anywhere. Haven’t said that, if asked you need to declare it because no doubt there will be a record of you being issued with a NIP somewhere.

Has your Dad has being convicted on anything since Borstal? If not I wouldn’t be concerned.

As a footnote I would add that contravening red lights when applying to the police is not the best idea.

Member Achievements

Simoncole3

Hi Mac7. Thanks for the reply.

Another small caveat on the PND; I paid the fine straight away but received a cheque from the force a couple of weeks later returning all my money. Not sure what this does or doesn’t indicate, had a look on the internet and I couldn’t find anything. It’ll be 5 years since it happened on 1 January 2018(4 weeks time) not sure this will have any bearing on anything either.

in regards to my dad I really don’t know but I don’t believe so. We really don’t talk much.

as for the red light running, it was very silly. I passed my test the month before, it was honestly more a case of inexperience as apposed to impatience.

I wasn’t too worried about vetting till I started reading horror stories about people failing for tiny indiscretions. I also read from another member on here say that half of all applicants are failed at vetting? Christ I’ve got no hope if that’s the case. But on the other hand I’ve read people on here claim to Work alongside regulars who have previous convictions for things as serious as fraud.

What’ll be will be I guess.

Sceptre
1 hour ago, Mac7 said:

With regards to your red light offence; as you opted for the course and received no fine/points that won’t show anywhere. 

It will, it'll be recorded on Pentip for at least a year or two.

Member Achievements

Mac7

You learn something new every day.

I had 6 points on my licence when I joined, so don’t worry about the driving stuff.

I guess you will only know when your are in the vetting process. We can speculate about it but that won’t help you. Focus on the next step of the process and answer everything on the vetting form(s) honestly.

Member Achievements

Simoncole3

I will be declaring everything on the form, would never dream of trying to deceive. I’ll keep you all updated, waiting for my physical test date, will probably be in the next week or two. Thanks for the replies :)

junior_7178

Most people that fail vetting do so because they fail to declare stuff. Then they trot out the old "i honestly didn't think i would need to declare that..." or my favourite "my mates dad is an inspector and he said i wouldn't need to declare it as there would be no record of it"

It's simple...DECLARE EVERYTHING. 

Declare your red light thing, because they will find out about it. If it's not on their list of things to fail for then it doesn't matter.

Your D&D (or more likely a FPN) is more of an issue. I believe there is a standard rule for police vetting that you can't have received a Fixed Penalty Notice in the last 5 years. There is actually a national guideline document online somewhere if you can find it.

I was issued an £80 FPN in 2009 for 'Behaviour Likely to cause alarm or distress'. I rang vetting before i even filled in an application form to ask if this would automatically preclude me from joining. They didn't even care what it was for, just how long ago it was. She said if it was over 5 years ago then it's not an issue. 

If i were you I'd find out exactly what it was you received in 2012 and prepare to be honest about it in case you are asked to give more information. Don't bend the truth, and don't be vague so as to try to hide something. If you were caught having a p*** in an alley, simple as that, then you were unlucky to be formally punished, but i can't imagine you getting much more than a FPN.

If someone (I'm not saying you were) got caught p***ing in an alley, was then mouthy or unruly with the cop who caught them and ended up getting nicked for D&D then thats a different issue. They might try and be vague or omit bits to make it not sound so bad, but all it does is make people think "D&D for just p***ing in an alley, that strange".

I'm not casting aspersions that this is your case, more i am trying to give you en example of the mentality that some people get into when it comes to vetting or explaining their previonion misdemeanours.

When i first got my FPN i tried to dress it up, to justify it to myself and to make it sound like i was hard done by. Now my mentality has changed. I'm quite willing to admit i was a prat. I was a squaddie, in a squaddie town, drunk as a skunk and larging it up with my mates. I deserved it and am now ashamed of my behaviour. I put that on my vetting form.

I passed vetting by the way, and start as a regular in a few weeks.

Member Achievements

Simoncole3

@Junior_7178I Thanks for the reply. I will be declaring everything without a doubt. Yeah the 5 year thing is stated on their website, the incident happened January 1 2013, so it’ll be 5 years since it happened in roughly 4 weeks. Will this automatically disclude me as they’ll deem it as still technically under 5 years. Training and attestation will both be well after the 5 year point and i guess vetting will he undertaken after the physical which I still don’t have a date for. Skin of my teeth stuff. Is there any preliminary vetting at the papersift stage? Thanks for giving me a bit of hope that people with previous FPNs have managed to get into even the regulars. Is regular vetting more stringent than specials?

Simoncole3

Good luck with your first day of being a regular btw

junior_7178

My understanding is that vetting is the same for both regulars and specials. 

Only the force you are applying to will be able to categorically answer your question regarding the 5 year rule, but my opinion is that it would be harsh to sift you out so close to the 'line' so to speak. My advice would be, if you are given the chance on the application form to add further information or a covering letter, i would write something along the lines of "i appreciate the 5 year rule, but please still consider my application on the basis that any further stages of the recruitment process are likely to be after the 5 year point from the date of the offence".

Also unless you are asked for further information I'd spare them the details initially. An offence is an offence no matter how you dress it up. And yes i think they will do initial basic screening/security checks at the initial application stage.

Good luck.

Member Achievements

quickdantheman

Jaysnow, I have read your post and I am in a similar predicament myself, I genuinely hope that you get it resolved buddy, Dan

Simoncole3

Small update: So I passed my fitness test just after Christmas, and on Monday I passed my medical physical exam and also has my uniform fitted. I was quietly and optimistically hoping that my vetting had already been done by this point however I received an email a couple of days afterwards from A&S HR asking for more information regarding my Mother as I'd forgotten to add her Maidan name/s which suffice to say means they are currently vetting as I write.  

Thanks @quickdantheman, hope your appeal goes well. 

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David