Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Techie1

Guardian: England and Wales police in need of £1.3bn to tackle crime and terrorism

RISK OF CLOSURE

Hyphen

1.3 billion, and the rest! I fear that this just scratches the surface. This is the cliff edge problem we have.

The article states that the money would pay for 5000 new officers to deal with new types of crime.

We keep coming back to the same points, what about existing crime, what about the huge numbers of high priority incidents which have nothing to do with crime and the lack of resources? The silliest thing was also to get rid of support staff who enabled officers to be out there actually policing.

The problem we have is even if we magically had a couple of billion to try and sort the mess out it would take years to get to near where we were, probably a decade.

Pavillion

Lots of emotive clap trap. The APCC should start a go fund me campaign, maybe that will test the will of society who is asked to support such endeavours. What do they mean "fears funding shortfall may lead to rise in crime". There are plenty of people who fear being mugged, it does not make more or less likely.

Just a bunch of amateur politicians making noise to inflate their own worth.

MerseyLLB

What i find truly astonishing is that policing/terrorism is, to me at least, one of the core issues I expect the Government to provide for in the covenant between citizens and the state.

The projection for 2017/2018 was 30.3 million income taxpayers.

If income tax thresholds/tax rates were ignored for arguments sake... a £1.3 billion funding increase would only cost £45 per tax payer.

That's without considering any kind of businesses and other such revenue streams.

If income bands etc were to be considered in rationalizing costs it would be a mere few quid for the lowest earners and probably £100 for the very wealthy.

I consider myself a conservative (small C) politically and am against wealth redistribution via taxation and artificial state intervention however I am a little more liberal when it comes to funding what I consider core Government functions like health, security, defence and infrastructure.

When you look at the kind of figures I illustrate I simply cannot see why we have a policing funding crisis? Being in the job and knowing how broken the system is I would happily pay an extra £3.75 per month in income tax if it improved the service to the public. Hell, I'd pay a £5 a month to round it up nicely and boost prison funding as well.

So back to my point - why are we deliberately choosing to underfund public services? The welfare system continues to be an unsustainable gravy train in many quarters yet core services are ever more being squeezed to death.

Cathedral Bobby

I would also be willing to see a penny for policing, a penny for social care on income tax.But what would be fairer would be a levy on the banks. They caused this crisis and I would particularly enjoy seeing a big levy on bankers bonuses to pay for police and social care.

MajorDisaster
19 minutes ago, Cathedral Bobby said:

I would also be willing to see a penny for policing, a penny for social care on income tax.But what would be fairer would be a levy on the banks. They caused this crisis and I would particularly enjoy seeing a big levy on bankers bonuses to pay for police and social care.

A bit broad brush there - don't forget that bankers already pay tax on their earnings.  I believe the top 1% of earners pay around 25% of all UK tax revenues.  What would be ideal is a comprehensive review of how all the big spenders in Government actually spend their money, health, education, police, defence etc but that is discussion for another forum.  

Radman

Far too much money is being funneled through the welfare system paying for people who take advantage of the system day after day and as a society we have collectively enabled people to take advantage of the system.

This is usually where someone will bring up corporations or the rich elite avoiding tax but what is rarely mentioned or countered is that these corporations are responsible for thousands of jobs within Britain... Do I believe corporatione should pay their tax bills? Of course but someone sat on state benefits, in a state granted house raising child after child on the benefit system is a drain the society with very little being paid back into the system.

Couple this with the cost on social services they may use, national health, criminal costings etc and you're talking potentially millions being spent on one individual throughout the course of their lifetime.

State benefit has fallen into the same bracket that immigration was in a few years ago, where anyone who broached the subject was given a label of being 'un-politically correct' - what we need to do is have a frank discussion over how our taxes are spent, Britain after all pays some of the highest taxes the world over.

Pavillion

I have to agree, far to many people taking money from hard working tax supplied government coffers and do not meet the expectations that society would like to have from them. I am no doubt the government will see this and start restricting the money to those who do not make a contribution to the well being to society.

Edited by Pavillion
Still learning the English language.

Zulu 22

The £1.3 billion could come from the Foreign Aid budget instead of being wasted on unscrupulous foreign governments. Them Foreign Aid budget never gets to the causes it is meant for.

Beaker

Our PCC puts up the police precept by the max every year, and has been for the past few years. 3% I think. Means a few extra quid, but not something I mind. He actually offered a vote to the county a couple of years back to raise it by 5% to cover the drop in central government funding. Think it is about 10p per week extra they put it up by over the past 2 years. Personally I'd be happy enough with an extra £20-£40 per person per year going to policing rather than the minimal increases they have been doing.

obsidian_eclipse

In response to Radman. My personal view is that very few people exploit the welfare system, the percentage is tiny compared to the numbers in legitimate need. Often in policing out experience is limited to the minority who are or by the 'controversial' television shows which use the stereotypes for outrage and viewing figures. No one wants to watch a program where people are legitimately disabled and shivering in cold homes eating beans for every meal, they would rather watch the 0.01% who sit smoking 2 packs a day and drink litres of cider watching their sky multiroom or doing acrobatics out the bedroom window and mini motoing around the estate - yet somehow wrangling disability benefits. Sometimes it's easier to come down hard on the wrong people because they can't defend themselves but look away from the real troublemakers.

The real faces of benefits and welfare are not the ones you see in the paper.

Pavillion
1 hour ago, obsidian_eclipse said:

In response to Radman. My personal view is that very few people exploit the welfare system, the percentage is tiny compared to the numbers in legitimate need. Often in policing out experience is limited to the minority who are or by the 'controversial' television shows which use the stereotypes for outrage and viewing figures. No one wants to watch a program where people are legitimately disabled and shivering in cold homes eating beans for every meal, they would rather watch the 0.01% who sit smoking 2 packs a day and drink litres of cider watching their sky multiroom or doing acrobatics out the bedroom window and mini motoing around the estate - yet somehow wrangling disability benefits. Sometimes it's easier to come down hard on the wrong people because they can't defend themselves but look away from the real troublemakers.

A particularly well articulated statement for those who have a stunted view of the real reality of those who receive benefits. Its a shame that there are those who purport to say they wish to help society but do not understand the true reality of hardship and blinded by petty nonsense about funding for their particular gain.

Reasonable Man

Post of the month!!
The percentage of the welfare budget spent on the type the Waily Fail would have its readers hate is tiny. The biggest cost to the public coffers is the elderly. State pension and associated benefits account for 50% of all benefits and the triple lock increases that every year. The only way to save significant money on welfare is to take it from the elderly, and no party is going to commit political suicide.

sunbeam

The problem with being prepared to pay more, is that it is on top of already very significant levels of taxation. I simply don't feel that taxing people more is a solution and tends to lead towards the state being wasteful. 

Reasonable Man
The £1.3 billion could come from the Foreign Aid budget instead of being wasted on unscrupulous foreign governments. Them Foreign Aid budget never gets to the causes it is meant for.

Not ever. Not one penny of British Aid has ever got to the people who need it. It all goes to corrupt governments.
Oh. Except for the help we gave in the Caribbean a few weeks ago when the Royal Navy helped in the humanitarian effort.

This thread is at 'Risk of Closure' - A member of the Police Community Team has identified content in this thread that may lead to it being closed without any further notice. If you are involved in any trolling or other behaviour that is against the forum rules then please refrain otherwise sanctions will be issued against any members that continue to breach any of these standards.