Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.

MollyBC94

Hi is there anyone that has gone through this process that could shed a little light on what happens while we there. such as any exams and what happens when begin Sworn in.

MindTheGap

Firstly don't worry about being sworn in, you're gonna be a PCSO/civvy staff

usually you'll be given your ID card and an Oyster card to allow you to travel to or from training hassle free

exams - we only did 2 when I was there and they weren't hard, but that was nearly 5 years ago now

just expect parades twice weekly, bull those boots and don't fall foul of the inspection!

Member Achievements

Radman
On 10/27/2017 at 12:35, MindTheGap said:

Firstly don't worry about being sworn in, you're gonna be a PCSO/civvy staff

usually you'll be given your ID card and an Oyster card to allow you to travel to or from training hassle free

exams - we only did 2 when I was there and they weren't hard, but that was nearly 5 years ago now

just expect parades twice weekly, bull those boots and don't fall foul of the inspection!

When I was 'sworn in' as a PCSO it was with a Magistrate but on our intake we simply 'promised' rather than took an oath of office.. I even have my old attestation certificate which was signed by a JP for my PCSO powers conferred to me under the Police Reform Act (bizarre I know.)

Ironically the paper my PCSO 'promise' was printed on was far nicer with an embossed coloured BTP Badge than the black and white stretched mess I received for my PC attestation... This was 2007 though.

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
14 minutes ago, Radman said:

Ironically the paper my PCSO 'promise' was printed on was far nicer with an embossed coloured BTP Badge than the black and white stretched mess I received for my PC attestation... This was 2007 though.

Cathedral constable attestation certificates are really lovely. The oath is typed in a really nice script. It has the cathedral constable crest at the top and has the seal of the cathedral embossed at the bottom. Two copies of the attestation certificate are created, one for our records and one for the officer. Both are signed by the officer and Justice of the Peace. We also hold a short religious ceremony with family present and have lunch and drinks after the attestation.

Officers of the York Minster Police take not only the oath of attestation, but also an accustomed oath, which is similar to the oath taken by the cathedral's clergy. It is taken while holding their hand over the thousand year old York Gospels. We make the occasion at whichever cathedral a special one. Where possible we use either a cathedral's consistory court (if they have one) or the Chapter House. Interestingly, the JPs who perform the swearing in are always the Chair/Deputy Chair of the Bench.

Member Achievements

Radman
5 minutes ago, Cathedral Bobby said:

Cathedral constable attestation certificates are really lovely. The oath is typed in a really nice script. It has the cathedral constable crest at the top and has the seal of the cathedral embossed at the bottom. Two copies of the attestation certificate are created, one for our records and one for the officer. Both are signed by the officer and Justice of the Peace. We also hold a short religious ceremony with family present and have lunch and drinks after the attestation.

Officers of the York Minster Police take not only the oath of attestation, but also an accustomed oath, which is similar to the oath taken by the cathedral's clergy. It is taken while holding their hand over the thousand year old York Gospels. We make the occasion at whichever cathedral a special one. Where possible we use either a cathedral's consistory court (if they have one) or the Chapter House. Interestingly, the JPs who perform the swearing in are always the Chair/Deputy Chair of the Bench.

That is how things should be done.

At the minute we seem to be heading towards a very 'corporate' way of doing things, every is overly tacky, on the cheap and done without much thought to tradition or custom - Tunics aren't issued anymore in many forces (including BTP - My intake was one of the last to get them.)

I find it all very sad, we've lost our way a little.

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
17 minutes ago, Radman said:

That is how things should be done.

At the minute we seem to be heading towards a very 'corporate' way of doing things, every is overly tacky, on the cheap and done without much thought to tradition or custom - Tunics aren't issued anymore in many forces (including BTP - My intake was one of the last to get them.)

I find it all very sad, we've lost our way a little.

Given that powers are bestowed at an attestation ceremony to an office over a millennium in years, I think like you Radman more should be made of it. I know the job changes but progress can go hand in hand with tradition.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Rogue One

Can't be any worse than passing out in a back yard by the smoking area! 

• Haha 1

Member Achievements

heddlu1

Didn't get sworn in, just got our ID cards with uniform on the second day.

Exams, One final one at the end of the course, and two track safety exams and a track walk. Enjoy the training, your trainer is excellent and is very knowledgeable. Seems to have done anything and everything to do in the police! 

• Like 1

Member Achievements