Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

LcWoodward

Vetting

LcWoodward

Good afternoon Ladies and Gents,

Long time member first time poster here. I've recently applied and been success for all stages of recruitment at the first time of asking.  There is one major worry I've got and that is the vetting, Mainly the financial part. I've got a default from a couple of years ago when I was in a debt management plan with stepchange. Despite paying all the payments on time the company neglected to advised that the amount I owed was on an account with 2 loans on and why one was being paid and more they put a default notice on the other part.  The reason for the debt was a break down in a previous relationship and despite trying to juggle the payments at the time I end up not being able to manage and made the choice to seek help.

My main concerns is I've been debt free for over a year now, and i'm slowly rebuilding my credit rating which was shot to pieces after my DMP. Would the default(which is now closed and showing a £0 Balance) mean the end of my application? 

I've phoned vetting and all they have advised is that if I do get rejected I could always appeal and see what happens. I just wondered if anyone had been through anything similar.

Thanks

Liam

junior_7178
1 hour ago, LcWoodward said:

I've got a default from a couple of years ago when I was in a debt management plan with stepchange. Despite paying all the payments on time the company neglected to advised that the amount I owed was on an account with 2 loans on and why one was being paid and more they put a default notice on the other part.  The reason for the debt was a break down in a previous relationship and despite trying to juggle the payments at the time I end up not being able to manage and made the choice to seek help.

I'm going to get straight to the point here. That paragraph is irrelevant to the vetting department. Most people have a reason or excuse that they use to justify the debt to themselves and others. Search for some similar threads on here and you'll see what i mean.

The vetting people won't care why or how a default came about. A debt is a debt. 

That said, it looks like you've taken steps to take responsibility and sort yours out and that can only go in your favour. As to whether you'll pass or not, i don't think anybody on here can tell you if you will or not.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

LcWoodward

Thanks for an honest reply. I’ve had a look few and I know it’s on who I get on the day my application hits the desk. 

So it’s just a fingers crossed, I was just looking for a cross reference of people who could have been in a similar position and how the faired. 

Lone Wolf

When I joined (admittedly it was over a decade ago) the guidance on defaults was that as long as they were settled it was not a problem.

Member Achievements

XA84
I'm going to get straight to the point here. That paragraph is irrelevant to the vetting department. Most people have a reason or excuse that they use to justify the debt to themselves and others. Search for some similar threads on here and you'll see what i mean.

The vetting people won't care why or how a default came about. A debt is a debt. 

That said, it looks like you've taken steps to take responsibility and sort yours out and that can only go in your favour. As to whether you'll pass or not, i don't think anybody on here can tell you if you will or not.

Junior has hit the nail on the head with his reply to you, as forward as he may have been the force don't have any care as to why something happened only that it has taken place.

You have done the right thing in contacting vetting to inform them and get further assistance. Unfortunately now it's just a waiting game which in itself can be stressful.

Best of luck with your situation and keep us posted.

Member Achievements

LcWoodward

Cheers for the input guys, I know its in the hand of the gods so to speak now.  Only thing is I waited until all debts had been paid off before applying and when I got through the first few rounds of recruitment to check and find the default on there was a bit of a kick in the teeth . Managed to pass the assessment centre with a decent score first time 

I've done what I can do by being open and honest about it and trying to correct it in the best way possible.  If not it's back to the grindstone for a few year and then reapply. 

• Like 1

LcWoodward

Just a quick update.....

Despite thinking I would be down for the January intake i was advised i'd been put down for the March intake. 

So finally got confirmation yesterday that I had successfully completed all pre-employment checks and they where looking to appoint me by the end of the month once they had completed a few last bits at their end. 

Looking to work towards a start date of 19th March.

m_Cooper

Brilliant to hear!

What force is that for?

LcWoodward
40 minutes ago, m_Cooper said:

Brilliant to hear!

What force is that for?

South Yorkshire 

MajorDisaster
3 hours ago, LcWoodward said:

South Yorkshire 

I know a few serving and ex SYP - mad as hatters the lot of them, good luck!

Member Achievements

LcWoodward
17 hours ago, MajorDisaster said:

I know a few serving and ex SYP - mad as hatters the lot of them, good luck!

Haha Thanks Major...Can't wait to get started now. 2 months is going to be a long slog.

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David