Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Klaus

Met Recruiting PCSOs

Klaus

For the first time in several years, the met has opened recruitment for 100 new PCSOs.

Applications are open now:

https://www.met.police.uk/careers-at-the-met/pcso/pcso-overview/

I for one am surprised, as I thought they were going to be letting the role slowly die off and not recruit into it anymore.

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby

For the use the Met make of PCSOs it doesn't make sense to me. If they delegated the full range of powers I can see an argument but as they are currently used, I think not.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

NCFPA

This is funded by the mayor and TFL, who wants one (1) pcso per ward and TFL wants pcso's to keep the roads open assist with traffic management etc.

Member Achievements

HazRat

WTF is going on? Boroughs just offloaded at least that amount to traffic as they couldn't afford them. 

Member Achievements

HazRat

That webpage is not very accurate. This role doesn't exist for PCSO's:

• Commercial Vehicle Unit – focussing on HGV offences, both from a reaction and prevention perspective.

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby

So what they really need are Traffic Wardens

Member Achievements

HazRat
41 minutes ago, Cathedral Bobby said:

So what they really need are Traffic Wardens

No we don't. It would be easier if TfL employed them directly and used CSAS powers.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Radman
On 9/6/2017 at 14:59, NCFPA said:

This is funded by the mayor and TFL, who wants one (1) pcso per ward and TFL wants pcso's to keep the roads open assist with traffic management etc.

What is the point?

The Met doesn't allow its PCSO's to do much of anything - Byelaw enforcement under the TFL Byelaws? Nope.

Report on summons for simple offences? Nope.

Power of ejection or to detain using reasonable force? Nope.

I don't understand why the Met even bothers employing these people.... Worthless... Only not so worthless on wage of: Circa £28,000 (basic salary + shift allowance + location allowance).

@Cathedral Bobby how much is a warranted Cathedral Constable on with arrest powers?

Edited by Radman

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
1 minute ago, Radman said:

What is the point?

The Met doesn't allow its PCSO's to do much of anything - Byelaw enforcement under the TFL Byelaws? Nope.

Report on summons for simple offences? Nope.

Power of ejection or to detain using reasonable force? Nope.

I don't understand why the Met even bothers employing these people.... Worthless.

You know Radman I think I would transfer all PCSOs to local authority control, making the police a constable only service, then attest all the PCSOs and make them community specific constables with a limited jurisdiction, working only within a LA area and to LA priorities.

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Radman
7 minutes ago, Cathedral Bobby said:

You know Radman I think I would transfer all PCSOs to local authority control, making the police a constable only service, then attest all the PCSOs and make them community specific constables with a limited jurisdiction, working only within a LA area and to LA priorities.

They're being paid  £28,000 plus London/shift allowance...

It's a complete waste of money.

Get them doing something worthwhile, warrant them and get them out on the street with the powers to actually do something when they come across issues - I totally agree with you.

Edited by Radman
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
6 minutes ago, Radman said:

They're being paid  £28,000 plus London/shift allowance...

It's a complete waste of money.

Get them doing something worthwhile, warrant them and get them out on the street with the powers to actually do something when they come across issues - I totally agree with you.

How much :angry: What a crazy world. But I do think so that they can genuinely support communities they should be subject to local authority priorities. There is little local accountability in policing now. In fact today's policing model creates conflict in priorities. Young people entering the service soon become bored with the mundane elements of community policing, but nothing prevents a very close working relationship between LA constables and territorial force police officers. They exist now between HO forces and the national forces and private constabularies.

Member Achievements

Policey_Man

The roles being advertised are all for within the roads and transport policing command, so they aren't going to be doing community engagement or neighbourhoods work as part of safer neighbourhood teams, they going to be one the transport network and doing enforcement activities for TfL.

Like @Radman, I don't see the value of PCSOs at present on Borough, so I'm glad they aren't being recruited for those roles. But I don't understand why we need PCSOs when TfL could employ people, as @HazRat suggests...

Member Achievements

SOP
35 minutes ago, Policey_Man said:

The roles being advertised are all for within the roads and transport policing command, so they aren't going to be doing community engagement or neighbourhoods work as part of safer neighbourhood teams, they going to be one the transport network and doing enforcement activities for TfL.

Like @Radman, I don't see the value of PCSOs at present on Borough, so I'm glad they aren't being recruited for those roles. But I don't understand why we need PCSOs when TfL could employ people, as @HazRat suggests...

I seem to recall that when the road and transport enforcement officers were recruited by TFL it was on 30k plus a final salary pension. It's cheaper to employ a PCSO.   I'd personally much prefer to see PCSOs out within the community then these accredited TFL employees. Although met PCSOs do not carry PPE, I'd argue they are a lot more effective at disrupting anti social behaviour then someones wearing a TFL hi vis just by being a uniformed member of the police. 

TFL pay for an enhanced police service from both BTP & the MET which sees more uniformed police officers and PCSOs on the transport system and Street. In these times of cut backs I think the police service would just be doing it self no favours saying no we don't want your money, do it yourself. If these officers that are paid for under enhanced police service agreements weren't in post demand would still be there and the remaining officers would have to pick up the slack.

Member Achievements

HazRat
21 minutes ago, SOP said:

I seem to recall that when the road and transport enforcement officers were recruited by TFL it was on 30k plus a final salary pension. It's cheaper to employ a PCSO.   I'd personally much prefer to see PCSOs out within the community then these accredited TFL employees. Although met PCSOs do not carry PPE, I'd argue they are a lot more effective at disrupting anti social behaviour then someones wearing a TFL hi vis just by being a uniformed member of the police. 

TFL pay for an enhanced police service from both BTP & the MET which sees more uniformed police officers and PCSOs on the transport system and Street. In these times of cut backs I think the police service would just be doing it self no favours saying no we don't want your money, do it yourself. If these officers that are paid for under enhanced police service agreements weren't in post demand would still be there and the remaining officers would have to pick up the slack.

It is not cheaper to employ a PCSO. TfL pay more than you think as it is a full cost recovery which. Is more than just staff salaries.

I don’t see that PCSO’s are effective on the London bus network as it is rare to find them actually riding the network. Instead they get deployed to just about anything else that isn’t on the bus. From acting as loggist / stoppers on Op Cubo to running community road watch.

A one point in time the safest place in London was Snowhill Police Station canteen where numerous STC (as it was back then) PCSO’s used to hide away. I haven’t seen any hard evidence that they’ve actually made a difference.

You talk about demand but haven’t supplied any information to back this up. I worked on borough before Transport OCU came into existence. There wasn’t a massive demand to bus network calls then much like now. PC’s on STT’s are increasingly finding themselves dealing with other non bus related calls to fill the void. For a lot of the boroughs overall bus crime is down.

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby

Complete waste of money, no wonder the Government think there are efficiencies to be made. Instead of these PCSO posts why not employ 0.7 fte of a constable for each PCSO

Member Achievements

There are 8 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David