Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jedi Knight

Police officer sacked for having sex with 'vulnerable' teenager

Recommended Posts

Jedi Knight

A police officer has been sacked for having sex with a "vulnerable" teenager after "inappropriate" contact with the person through Instagram. 

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/police-officer-sacked-for-having-sex-with-vulnerable-teenager/ar-AAr3ZRm?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartandhp

Would he have used his own personal account for instagram in the first instance or do some forces have accounts with all these social media portals?  How can someone in this day and age be so stupid as to go down this road?  

Edited by Rocket
Edited to comply with forum news item posting guidelines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zulu 22

Poetic journalism licence. It was a Special Sergeant who should have known better than to abuse his authority. No sympathy for him at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
obsidian_eclipse

It's not good at all. Getting involved with anyone you've had official dealings with is a dangerous road to go down. It's a sad state of affairs but it's best not to even try and be friends with people, just keep it separate at all times.

It's important to note that although described as 'vulnerable' the IP was 17 and so I don't think there's any nefarious intent. Virtually anyone these days can be described as vulnerable. It's quite possible you could start a relationship with someone you meet on a night out only to discover a hole rubbish storm of history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cathedral Bobby
31 minutes ago, obsidian_eclipse said:

It's not good at all. Getting involved with anyone you've had official dealings with is a dangerous road to go down. It's a sad state of affairs but it's best not to even try and be friends with people, just keep it separate at all times.

It's important to note that although described as 'vulnerable' the IP was 17 and so I don't think there's any nefarious intent. Virtually anyone these days can be described as vulnerable. It's quite possible you could start a relationship with someone you meet on a night out only to discover a hole rubbish storm of history.

You're right, vulnerability is a term over used. The addict desperate for a fix is vulnerable if we take it to the extreme. What is clear is he overstepped the mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zulu 22

It sounds very much as if someone is trying to justify his actions. The age of 17 alone is vulnerable and he knew that and took advantage. He was lucky not to be facing a Court because he would have, rightly, been sent down.

He knowingly did wrong and in reality got off lightly. The service does not need predators.

Edited by Zulu 22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sceptre
30 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

It sounds very much as if someone is trying to justify his actions. The age of 17 alone is vulnerable

No it's not. The definition of vulnerability is someone who for due to personal and situational factors is unable to protect themselves from harm or exploitation, which is certainly not true for all seventeen-year-olds some of whom might be parents, married, living alone or in the forces by then. Vulnerability is dependent on the context.

Nobody I can see is justifying what is clearly a breach of professional standards of behaviour and potentially amounts to misconduct in a public office against a child who probably is vulnerable according to the above definition, but rather taking issue with the broad way in which the word gets used at times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cathedral Bobby
1 hour ago, Zulu 22 said:

He knowingly did wrong and in reality got off lightly. The service does not need predators.

He absolutely did wrong in the job context. But when it comes to vulnerability it is very much of a context. And I have worked safeguarding for most of my career, and on this subject I know way more than you Zulu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hyphen

Totally agree, sounds like he was a pretty sad individual who clearly abused his position. No excuses and glad he's gone.

In respect of the 'vulnerability' comments I completely agree. It is very over used particularly within Policing and the safeguarding world. It's unfortunately just become a throw away sound bite and dilutes the actual vulnerable individuals.

I find it very offensive though to suggest being 17 makes you vulnerable. When I was 17 I had a job, coached children's football and had a lot of responsibilities. Might have been daft sometimes but not vulnerable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cathedral Bobby
4 minutes ago, Hyphen said:

Totally agree, sounds like he was a pretty sad individual who clearly abused his position. No excuses and glad he's gone.

In respect of the 'vulnerability' comments I completely agree. It is very over used particularly within Policing and the safeguarding world. It's unfortunately just become a throw away sound bite and dilutes the actual vulnerable individuals.

I find it very offensive though to suggest being 17 makes you vulnerable. When I was 17 I had a job, coached children's football and had a lot of responsibilities. Might have been daft sometimes but not vulnerable.

You're so right. I know and addict who got his mate on the gear, another lad and then pimped him out. Yet he claimed he was vulnerable and it was accepted because he, of choice,:blink: decided seeing what his mate was making decided to rent himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rocket

He was a police officer though. He should have known that keeping it in his pants was the appropriate course of action. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cathedral Bobby
Just now, Rocket said:

He was a police officer though. He should have known that keeping it in his pants was the appropriate course of action. 

I have no chuck with what he did, you're right he had to go, totally unacceptable. My gripe is the over use of the word vulnerable, which is not always as reported.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rocket
4 minutes ago, Cathedral Bobby said:

I have no chuck with what he did, you're right he had to go, totally unacceptable. My gripe is the over use of the word vulnerable, which is not always as reported.

As a police officer, I personally regard everyone I deal with as vulnerable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cathedral Bobby
10 minutes ago, Rocket said:

As a police officer, I personally regard everyone I deal with as vulnerable

That doesn't make sense to me. The problem is there is genuine vulnerability which is contextual based on a number of measures relating to age, disability, mental health etc. Vulnerability is often used by those who aren't to excuse their behaviour as in the case given above. I do not see the yob who has mugged an old lady, threatened to stab a cop who arrests him. The cop unless sufficiently equipped is possibly more vulnerable in this situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zulu 22

 

3 hours ago, Cathedral Bobby said:

He absolutely did wrong in the job context. But when it comes to vulnerability it is very much of a context. And I have worked safeguarding for most of my career, and on this subject I know way more than you Zulu.

Are you sure about that?

She had been reported  as a missing person so certainly was vulnerable, and he contacted her on Instagram knowing this. There is also no further information on the report but there is always some form of vulnerability in a missing person. The fact is that he clearly abused his position and was lucky not to have been prosecuted over his abuse of authority. His actions would also reverberate through all his colleagues.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...