Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Sneddon25

Failed Special constable interview

Sneddon25

So I've failed my specials interview for the 2nd time now. I honestly felt like I'd passed this time around as I answered all the questions to the best of my knowledge and was very confident.

I've got 6 months to have a real think about if I want to give it another shot but I'm thinking the job obviously isn't for me if I can't pass the interview stage.

XA84
5 minutes ago, Sneddon25 said:

So I've failed my specials interview for the 2nd time now. I honestly felt like I'd passed this time around as I answered all the questions to the best of my knowledge and was very confident.

I've got 6 months to have a real think about if I want to give it another shot but I'm thinking the job obviously isn't for me if I can't pass the interview stage.

Don't be disheartened, although I'm sure it's upsetting you have to stay strong and look at this from a methodical and analytical point of view. 6 months these days isn't a great deal of time and will allow you to progress the skills further to pass the interview. 

Is there anything you thought you could have done better on?

The key now is to contact take a small break before contacting HR (let the dust settle) for feedback and looking at what it is you were good and bad at. 

Member Achievements

Sneddon25

Hi XA64, I felt like I answered everything clearly and confidently with no hiccups. The problem with the force I've applied for is they don't provide feedback so I don't know were I went wrong.

XA84

@Sneddon25 do you mind me asking which force you've applied for?

If you feel you have done everything appropriately have you looked into whether they have a appeals process?

Member Achievements

Sneddon25

It was for Merseyside police, no I've not looked into if they have an appeals process. Not sure whether it's worth it.

Sir Penguin

Have you ensured you've looked at the competencies and thought of examples that hit each competency?

The interviews aren't easy and that's because it's not an easy job. Don't give up though. If it's what you want then stick at it until you get it.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Sierra_Bravo

Check out blue light consultancy videos on youtube, They are really informative and great for preparing you for police interviews or SEARCH assessment centre days, the videos are up to date and current with what forces are looking for. 

Member Achievements

DB11

Any underlying discrimination or diversity issues that may have cropped up or became apparent? With the specials interviews really it's not about being good it's about not being racist or the type of person that you would not want in the organisation. When it gets to PC interviews is when it becomes more about standing out and problem solving and really hitting those competencies

Member Achievements

Sneddon25

Thanks for all the responses and advice. As far as the core competencies go I had an answer for each one using the STAR method. The diversity question I gave 5 different examples and 5 Different communities within my chosen force.

Merseyside don't provide feedback due to the number of applicants which is a pain as I really don't know what I went wrong on.

DB11
On 8/10/2017 at 09:49, Sneddon25 said:

Thanks for all the responses and advice. As far as the core competencies go I had an answer for each one using the STAR method. The diversity question I gave 5 different examples and 5 Different communities within my chosen force.

Merseyside don't provide feedback due to the number of applicants which is a pain as I really don't know what I went wrong on.

Possibly where you went wrong then. Only one example required but go into a lot of detail and show what you did. Five examples cannot hit enough detail in the time frame you are given.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

XA84
Possibly where you went wrong then. Only one example required but go into a lot of detail and show what you did. Five examples cannot hit enough detail in the time frame you are given.

I agree with DB11, this sounds likely as to why you failed.

Always remember to use the STAR method and only give one answer unless otherwise instructed.

Get yourself back in for it in 6 months and smash it :-)

Member Achievements

sim

Sorry to hear mate. I recommend the How to Become a Special Constable book. There is a lot of faff in it but it also helped me to structure my answers when I did it. STAR method but as the others have said above, detail detail detail. The next 6 months will fly by so make sure you get the practise in, and hopefully 3rd times a charm.

• Like 2

quickdantheman

Sneddon 25 - I'm on your heels my friend, and agree with sim -  in purchasing the "how to become a special book", having ordered it recently myself from amazon :) your determination is inspiring. keep going..........

• Like 1

Sneddon25

I’ve just failed for the 3rd time. Time to have a real think about it.

quickdantheman

I know how it feels each time its worse, especially when you have no feedback to know where you can improve. You have no idea if it is you personally, or a family issue etc.

I have never been fined, or had a speed ticket, never in trouble with the police and am a volunteer that works in a charity that the police are involved with.

I passed all the vetting for this, and in my day job I work for the post office, which took months of clearance, but I passed.

My background is mental health nursing as a support worker, and I cleared all vetting and crb checks for that too.

So Im really at a loss mate. Dan

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK. In 2019 the decision was taken to merge all four forums into this main form of www.police.community

Get in touch

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators