Jump to content
×
×
  • Create New...

Recommended Posts

It’s very obvious well at least it is if you know how ABS breaking system works
To put it simply for you
Instead of of locking the breaks it pumps the breaks faster than you or I would be able to,
if you watch the video you will see the car does not shudder at all, as it would if he had his foot on the breaks, also at that angle the car would have just went straight forward. The reason it turned and didn’t shudder is because the hand break was locked. 
I can explain it in more detail if you like?


I know how ABS works. Just amazed at how you can see into the car to know he pulled the hand break.
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Conor James

    15

  • Reasonable Man

    5

  • andi

    4

  • Indiana Jones

    4

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think we've reached a point where this topic is not going to get back on track, so it is now closed. Thank you for your contributions. 

So what's 'reasonable'? What he did amounts to inconsiderate/dangerous driving. But for the grace of God the car didn't hit anyone or anything but if it did would that mean the outcome should be any

It really isn't intentional. You can see the counter steer being attempted but it didn't work and ends up going into the slide. With respect if you can't see how it happened then you probabl

junior_7178
30 minutes ago, Conor James said:

 

I can explain it in more detail if you like?

Please don't. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Conor James
37 minutes ago, Mac7 said:

 


I know how ABS works. Just amazed at how you can see into the car to know he pulled the hand break.

 

Well if you know how the ABS system works then I’m very surprised that you have asked how I know of this.

also if you knew how it worked you wouldn’t be saying that your amazed how I can see into the car to see him pull up the hand break as you would well know that one would not need to be in the car, as one can very well see if the car shudders (breaks pumping ) or if the cars skids (breaks locked) from the outside, or in this case from a screen 

i do hope I’ve broken it down enough for you to understand, however I’m more than happy to answer any other questions you may have regarding this matter.

Edited by Conor James
Link to post
Share on other sites
Jimjam651
35 minutes ago, Conor James said:

Well if you know how the ABS system works then I’m very surprised that you have asked how I know of this.

also if you knew how it worked you wouldn’t be saying that your amazed how I can see into the car to see him pull up the hand break as you would well know that one would not need to be in the car, as one can very well see if the car shudders (breaks pumping ) or if the cars skids (breaks locked) from the outside, or in this case from a screen 

i do hope I’ve broken it down enough for you to understand, however I’m more than happy to answer any other questions you may have regarding this matter.

Ultimately the driver approached the bend too fast for the conditions, quite easy to do considering they were responding to colleagues requesting assistance.

Fortunately newer police vehicles are fitted with black box devices recording the drivers actions taken at the time so we can discount the handbrake being used

There is a lot we can all learn from this video as police drivers around the risks of 'seeing red' and not driving to the conditions, it's fortunate really that no one was hurt.

I'm not sure if you're a police officer or not but I can assure you that when a colleague, or member of public for that matter, needs my help urgently the very last thing on my mind is showing off in the car, it's getting there as quickly and safely as possible, this will reflect the attitude of most if not all police officers.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Conor James
16 minutes ago, Jimjam651 said:

Ultimately the driver approached the bend too fast for the conditions, quite easy to do considering they were responding to colleagues requesting assistance.

Fortunately newer police vehicles are fitted with black box devices recording the drivers actions taken at the time so we can discount the handbrake being used

There is a lot we can all learn from this video as police drivers around the risks of 'seeing red' and not driving to the conditions, it's fortunate really that no one was hurt.

I'm not sure if you're a police officer or not but I can assure you that when a colleague, or member of public for that matter, needs my help urgently the very last thing on my mind is showing off in the car, it's getting there as quickly and safely as possible, this will reflect the attitude of most if not all police officers.

 

No the breaks clearly locked 

Even if your theory was correct the car would have in no way shape or form have skidded for that long. That is a fact my friend.

if it was an old ford sierra then maybe I would inclined to agree with you however it was not, it is a modern vehicle NOT one of the newer ones however it is fitted with ABS breaks.

as for you theory for he was going to fast on the bend, if he had hit the pedal that hard on the bend things would have been a lot worse you can bet your bottom doller on that.

to put it as simple as I can for you

if he was going double that speed the ABS breaks still would not have skidded for that long, also the car would not have done a 180 as the ABS would not have locked for long enough to allow it.

im glad I could be of some assistance in this topic

Edited by Conor James
Link to post
Share on other sites
Jimjam651
56 minutes ago, Conor James said:

No the breaks clearly locked 

Even if your theory was correct the car would have in no way shape or form have skidded for that long. That is a fact my friend.

if it was an old ford sierra then maybe I would inclined to agree with you however it was not, it is a modern vehicle NOT one of the newer ones however it is fitted with ABS breaks.

as for you theory for he was going to fast on the bend, if he had hit the pedal that hard on the bend things would have been a lot worse you can bet your bottom doller on that.

to put it as simple as I can for you

if he was going double that speed the ABS breaks still would not have skidded for that long, also the car would not have done a 180 as the ABS would not have locked for long enough to allow it.

im glad I could be of some assistance in this topic

ABS will not stop the rear wheels losing traction when you're heavily braking in to a bend you've approached with too much speed.  The vehicle is unbalanced as all the weight has shifted to the front and the rear wheels, especially in the wet conditions, just can't find the grip.

Thanks for putting it as simply as you can for me, but you're still wrong :rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Conor James
2 hours ago, Jimjam651 said:

ABS will not stop the rear wheels losing traction when you're heavily braking in to a bend you've approached with too much speed.  The vehicle is unbalanced as all the weight has shifted to the front and the rear wheels, especially in the wet conditions, just can't find the grip.

Thanks for putting it as simply as you can for me, but you're still wrong :rolleyes:

I’m afraid you grossly WRONG  it might not stop it losing traction for a split second however it will shudder the car as the front  breaks take most of the hit and will be Continuously pumping and this time and would never ever ever ever allow the car to skid that long, to put it very simply  for you as you really don’t seem to get it.

you could not do that manoeuvre with the break pedal even  if you have god driving (so long as the car has ABS ) ?

Edited by Conor James
Link to post
Share on other sites
I’m afraid you grossly WRONG  it might not stop it losing traction for a split second however it will shudder the car as the front  breaks take most of the hit and will be Continuously pumping and this time and would never ever ever ever allow the car to skid that long, to put it very simply  for you as you really don’t seem to get it.
you could not do that manoeuvre with the break pedal even  if you have god driving (so long as the car has ABS ) [emoji4]



I’m afraid Connor that there are many other valid explanations but as all you seem to what to do is argue, ram your point home and be shouty about it then other forum members won’t discuss them or other topics with you. Claiming people are grossly wrong and “simply don’t get it” isn’t the way to act. Another thread that I won’t be discussing anything further with you.
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
andi

Trying to be a smart #### and make out other people are stupid whilst not able to spell brake. Irony.

And ABS won't stop you losing the back end. Source: the Subaru I stuck up an embankment backwards as a teenager.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Conor James
1 hour ago, andi said:

Trying to be a smart #### and make out other people are stupid whilst not able to spell brake. Irony.

And ABS won't stop you losing the back end. Source: the Subaru I stuck up an embankment backwards as a teenager.

No one on this forum has stated it will stop you losing the back end although it’s a scientific fact you one lose it for that long. You will also see car shudder. If you notice in the video you see the car skid for quite sometime, that would never happen with abs brakes NEVER. ?

Edited by Conor James
Link to post
Share on other sites
andi

Yes. Yes it would.

ABS brakes are designed to allow you to steer whilst in a skid. It will not prevent a loss of control. Stability control may assist, but not ultimately prevent. How many single vehicle rtcs have you investigated?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Indiana Jones

Once you're in a sideways skid, ABS won't help you - you've already lost traction. ABS is useless where the road surface/tyre friction is inherently poor.

You must have some kind of second-sight. I can't make out of the car is shuddering or not based on the quality of the footage. Maybe it's the same ability that lets you KNOW that the handbrake has been applied.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Conor James
1 hour ago, andi said:

Yes. Yes it would.

ABS brakes are designed to allow you to steer whilst in a skid. It will not prevent a loss of control. Stability control may assist, but not ultimately prevent. How many single vehicle rtcs have you investigated?

Thank you very much for destroying your very own argument 

you say ABS brakes are designed to allow you to steer whilst in a skid ?

thats the funniest thing I have ever heard from someone who claims to have knowledge in the subject they are discussing 

to be frank you are very WRONG 

infact ABS brakes were indeed designed to

allows the wheels on a motor vehicle  to maintain tractive contact with the road surface according to driver inputs while braking, preventing the wheels from locking up (ceasing rotation) and avoiding uncontrolled skidding. It is an automated system that uses the principles of threshold braking  and cadence braking which were practiced by skillful drivers with previous generation braking systems. It does this at a much faster rate and with better control than many drivers could manage.

check mate ❄️

Also you ask how many rtc I have been to,

how many ABS systems have you ripped out and replaced hmmmm ?

Edited by Conor James
Link to post
Share on other sites
Conor James
55 minutes ago, Indiana Jones said:

Once you're in a sideways skid, ABS won't help you - you've already lost traction. ABS is useless where the road surface/tyre friction is inherently poor.

You must have some kind of second-sight. I can't make out of the car is shuddering or not based on the quality of the footage. Maybe it's the same ability that lets you KNOW that the handbrake has been applied.

That’s all well and good however if it was a side skid but as you can see it skidded way to long  before it was anywhere near it’s side

also you say ABS is useless if the road surface is poor, I’d say that’s not true at all, I mean how could it be when the abs pumps much much faster than we possibly can.

I’d say that’s pretty useful not useless at all.

Edited by Conor James
Link to post
Share on other sites
andi

Before copy and pasting Wikipedia, and telling people how clever you are, ensure you understand what it says. I'll help.

"maintain tractive contact with the road surface according to driver inputs while braking"

Driver input being steering.

"The purpose of an anti lock braking system is to retain steering potential during harsh or emergency braking. ... It does not increase the grip of the tyres on the road, nor can it prevent skidding"
Roadcraft chapter 5: Skidding.

See, I reference my quotes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Techie1 + locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Police Community is a forum that is supported financially through advertisements. It is a breach of our standard use policy to use Adblock plugins/software on our site. 

In order to continue using our site you will need to disable Adblock across our site. Alternatively you can purchase a membership package from our online store to remove adverts as part of the membership subscription. 

https://police.community/remove-adverts/

Thank you for your support.

I have disabled Adblock