Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

TallyHo

Having just submitted my application to become a PCSO, I would like to know what career opportunities will be available to me once I have spent time patrolling the community as a PCSO.

Were you once a PCSO and have gone on to do other things?

Or are you a currently serving PCSO with aspirations to become a Police Constable?

I'd just like to hear some thoughts. Anything welcome.

Many thanks.

Member Achievements

Growley

I don't know if it differs in different forces, but where I work it seems to be a case of either becoming a PC eventually, or moving 'sideways' to another staff role of the same band. There doesn't seem to be much scope for career progression.

Member Achievements

TallyHo

Thanks for your post Growley.  The lack of career progression as a PCSO is something I have heard a few times from PCSO's I have spoken to around my area. I would like to apply to become a PC eventually, perhaps two to three years down the line. But from the feedback I have received, I'm feeling more like it's probably worth applying for a PC role sooner rather than later.

Edited by TallyHo

Member Achievements

sparkydale

My team has 50% PCSOs who have been in for 9 years or so and have no intention to move on from there - the shifts are better, the pay isn't that bad, the stress is less and the job is, fundamentally, more fun (you don't have to deal with lots of really griefy stuff) and you get, at least with us, a little more autonomy and flexibility to do what you want (within the confines of area patrol policies etc.).  If you have families etc. that's very attractive.

In contrast, BTP have just had an intake attest that was all ex-BTP PCSOs and they, at least, seem to like the move from PCSO to PC.  I think on my intake, it was probably about 80% that wanted to move into PC roles.  

I think the job is what you make it, and whilst there isn't a Senior PCSO role, over time, you can do lots of courses and gain additional skills and develop yourself.

Member Achievements

Klaus

If you don't feel you're quite ready to be a PC yet, it'd probably be a good role to do for a few years. Then when the time comes, you can apply to be a PC, although you'd have to sit the assessments as an external applicant (generally)

Member Achievements

TallyHo

Great replies and advice people.

Thanks.

Member Achievements

MindTheGap

My team has 50% PCSOs who have been in for 9 years or so and have no intention to move on from there - the shifts are better, the pay isn't that bad, the stress is less and the job is, fundamentally, more fun (you don't have to deal with lots of really griefy stuff) and you get, at least with us, a little more autonomy and flexibility to do what you want (within the confines of area patrol policies etc.).  If you have families etc. that's very attractive.

In contrast, BTP have just had an intake attest that was all ex-BTP PCSOs and they, at least, seem to like the move from PCSO to PC.  I think on my intake, it was probably about 80% that wanted to move into PC roles.  

I think the job is what you make it, and whilst there isn't a Senior PCSO role, over time, you can do lots of courses and gain additional skills and develop yourself.

This is true to where I work, we have some of the longest serving PCSOs within the British Transport Police (in fact, PCSO number 1!) - she thinks about becoming a PC, but has grown to think she's too old (despite what I'm telling her!), others have aspirations and try to meet them. I always aspired to become a PC, and applied along with 3 others from my intake as soon as we could!

It depends on what you want really, if you want to do a minimum tenure and become a PC, go for it if you feel ready! If you want to bide your time, do it - become the PCSO the PCs and other police staff members turn to for local knowledge, as well as support!

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Collar

I'm a serving PCSO with the desire to become a Police Officer as soon as possible, having served six years in my role and two years prior as a civvy volunteer.

Member Achievements

Radman

In BTP we tend to use the PCSO role as an 'apprentice to PC' can't comment on London but on my division the PCSOs tend to be young men and women who want to become PCs. I joined the PCSO role at 18 and on my 20th birthday I was training in London having moved on to PC.

Edited by Radman
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

rosco

From my force (same as sparkydale's old force) PCSOs seem to fit in two categories as stated by others:

- more mature PCSOs, who prefer the stability of the role and no night-shifts, that allows them a good work/life balance. A number of these are ex-military or from other public services.

-  younger PCSOs, who see it as a stop-gap until submitting their application for a PC (giving them valuable experience and earning a salary while they gain it).

Neither of the two categories seem to see it as a career to expect progression, which is just as well really!

Member Achievements

TallyHo

Thanks for all your input.

I have managed to secure myself a spot in West Mercia Police as a PCSO and begin my training in February. Very much looking forward to it and seeing what opportunities will arise after getting my foot in the door.

Many thanks

• Like 4

Member Achievements

sparkydale

Well done TallyHo.

Member Achievements

SpecialConstable

Thanks for all your input.

I have managed to secure myself a spot in West Mercia Police as a PCSO and begin my training in February. Very much looking forward to it and seeing what opportunities will arise after getting my foot in the door.

Many thanks

Well done and good luck with the training.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

fruitandveg

TallyHo, I'd say from my own observations that being a PCSO is the best thing to do if you think you might like to become a PC, best of luck chap, hope it all works out well! :)

• Like 3

Member Achievements

Growley

TallyHo, I'd say from my own observations that being a PCSO is the best thing to do if you think you might like to become a PC, best of luck chap, hope it all works out well! :)

I agree with this to an extent.

In my experience, PCSOs come in having gotten used to shift work, being told what to do, being surrounded by officers doing a host of different jobs and being involved with police work almost every day. Specials have more experience in using police powers, but otherwise I think PCSOs are better set up from the off.

The only detriment I've noticed some PCSOs suffer in becoming a PC is that they're used to having what is essentially an easy job (their words not mine), and when they come across they suddenly have a whole lot more responsibility and generally a whole lot more to do. Some find it a shock, some don't.

Then you have BTP PCSOs, who are practically a full time PC-lite already. They must be particularly well-prepared.

• Like 2

Member Achievements

There are 4 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David