Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
Sign in to follow this  
Chief Rat

PFEW: Chief Constable thrilled as officers win national prize

Chief Rat

17 July 2017

Northumbria officers with Home Secretary Amber Rudd

Northumbria officers with Home Secretary Amber Rudd who presented their award

Chief Constable Steve Ashman spoke of his pride after three of his Northumbria officers were named overall winners at the Police Bravery Awards.

PC Sarah Currie, PC Michael Otterson and Sgt Elliott Richardson were presented with the big prize by Home Secretary Amber Rudd at Thursday’s event after their efforts in stopping a man armed with an arsenal of weapons in a pub in Gateshead.

And CC Ashman was delighted for his three officers.

“I’m massively proud of them,” he said. “I’ve been to a few of these awards now, we won a regional award a couple of years ago and that was special, but this is amazing.

“We’re a big force but we’re a long way north. We sometimes feel a little bit isolated but we’re a proud region and I’m just hugely chuffed for all three of them. It’s their night and I’m really pleased for them.

“They are humble people and it’s humbling to be in their company.”

The three officers were among 71 nominees from 40 forces across England and Wales who enjoyed a reception at 10 Downing Street before the awards ceremony.

And CC Ashman added: “When you sit here and watch and listen all of the other stories from around the country it’s truly humbling – you genuinely feel as though you are in the company of heroes.

“Our three that have won it were quite exceptional. They fought for their lives with a guy who has discharged a gun into the ceiling and goodness knows what his intentions were. I’m massively proud of them, they’ve done an amazing job.

“There’s a thousand and one reasons why you could be miserable to be a cop but you remember the reasons why you joined, to help people, and stand up for what’s right and we’ve seen so many examples of that tonight.

“I’m massively proud of each of them. These nights are the highlight of the year, it’s a massive occasion.”

More information on our Bravery Awards web page.

View the full article

Member Achievements