Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
H-H

Cop show gripes

H-H

Was catching up on The Force:Essex this morning and one of the things that caught my ear was when a drug driver was locked up "on suspicion of section 5a RTA" rather than "on suspicion of drug driving". It all means the same but doesn't it make more sense to call a spade a spade and avoid having to explain what s5 RTA is?

I can understand a bit more s5 POA, where it's a mouthful to explain, especially when someone's kicking off in a s5 POA kinda way. But does this kind of thing grate anyone else? Or am I being over sensitive and a bit shudda cudda wudda (as a former Special with no doubt less experience than those I criticise)

Any other suggestions for things about these shows that make others cringe welcome! Apart from the Sky Sports esque posing for Police Interceptors

Member Achievements

Hyphen

I am a bit sad and do enjoy catching up on these shows :lol: guilty pleasures and all that.

The main thing that I do have a bit of a gripe with is usually Police interceptors though, lots of random shots of cars blue lighting when they are clearly a different vehicle. For example road shots of an Astra blue lighting around when the driver is in a BMW, that kind of thing. Lots of filler. Other than that I quite enjoy them. 

I have to say though one of the best cop shows I've watched recently is the Met: Policing London. Seems to be a well made show and a bit more serious than some of the other ones.

• Like 3

Member Achievements

Sherlock

I had TWO 5A's yesterday with a total 'on-road' time of around 15 minutes! I must admit I did ask for clearance for "5A Road Traffic over prescribed limit". I guess its preference. I don't say "drug driving" so as to avoid it sounding like "drink/drunk driving" or for it being construed as it being "driving whilst unfit" which is a bit more complex than the "specified drug over the prescribed limit".

Having said that, I'll try "drug driving" next time and let you know how I get on. I seem to have a penchant for 5A and lose the will to live every time. 7 hours of my life was taken up dealing with 5A's yesterday.

I agree with Hypen - the continuity is dreadful sometimes.

I guess one of my main gripes is the end of the shows: "In relation to X offence, no further action was taken"...

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Hyphen
2 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

I guess one of my main gripes is the end of the shows: "In relation to X offence, no further action was taken"...

Yeah I do notice that quite a lot with those shows. The force Essex seems to be quite bad for it actually, most jobs seem to result in no further action taken

Member Achievements

Sherlock
Yeah I do notice that quite a lot with those shows. The force Essex seems to be quite bad for it actually, most jobs seem to result in no further action taken

Indeed. Actually, thinking about Force:Essex, for me it has to be the number of adverts! Irritating!

Member Achievements

JulietAlpha1
21 minutes ago, Hyphen said:

I think the worst I've seen is last week's The Met. Guy gets caught with a loaded firearm in his glovebox. Found not guilty?!?!?! What on earth?

Member Achievements

Hyphen
Just now, JulietAlpha1 said:

I think the worst I've seen is last week's The Met. Guy gets caught with a loaded firearm in his glovebox. Found not guilty?!?!?! What on earth?

Yeah I did see that. There was some definite head scratching at that one 

Member Achievements

Sherlock

I missed that one. Was there any reason given / suggested ?

Member Achievements

Hyphen
1 minute ago, Sherlock said:

I missed that one. Was there any reason given / suggested ?

As far as I recall it was just the usual sort of sum up at the end of those shows. Didn't really go in to detail

Member Achievements

Sherlock
As far as I recall it was just the usual sort of sum up at the end of those shows. Didn't really go in to detail

Ah! I wish they'd give more context sometimes. It doesn't make our justice system look good - not that I think it's much good anyway. Unfortunately the public often blame police and fail to recognise the role of CPS and the Court.

Member Achievements

H-H
I am a bit sad and do enjoy catching up on these shows :lol: guilty pleasures and all that.

The main thing that I do have a bit of a gripe with is usually Police interceptors though, lots of random shots of cars blue lighting when they are clearly a different vehicle. For example road shots of an Astra blue lighting around when the driver is in a BMW, that kind of thing. Lots of filler. Other than that I quite enjoy them. 
I have to say though one of the best cop shows I've watched recently is the Met: Policing London. Seems to be a well made show and a bit more serious than some of the other ones.

Touche! I haven't watched the Met yet so that will be on the list, did enjoy Rookies when that was on a few years ago but not sure whether that's being continued!

Can see what you mean about the continuity! I've also noticed sometimes they'll have road shots of a car making G1 and then once inside the car there's no sirens/light flicks and vice versa, little things I guess!

I had TWO 5A's yesterday with a total 'on-road' time of around 15 minutes! I must admit I did ask for clearance for "5A Road Traffic over prescribed limit". I guess its preference. I don't say "drug driving" so as to avoid it sounding like "drink/drunk driving" or for it being construed as it being "driving whilst unfit" which is a bit more complex than the "specified drug over the prescribed limit".

Having said that, I'll try "drug driving" next time and let you know how I get on. I seem to have a penchant for 5A and lose the will to live every time. 7 hours of my life was taken up dealing with 5A's yesterday.

Yeah I get what you're saying@Sherlock - I guess when someone's failed a drug swipe they can guess what they've been arrested for!

Member Achievements

HobnobGTi

Police Intereceptors and the like that show officers blue lighting in a diesel Astra with the sound of some V8 Mustang engine dubbed over it!

• Like 2

Member Achievements