Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
The Undertaker

West Midlands Police staff crisis as 711 officers off work with depression, stress and anxiety

The Undertaker

West Midlands Police has been warned officers are at “breaking point” after shock figures revealed 700 were off work last year with psychological disorders

Full Story - Birmingham Mail

This video is used in the above article, has TM ever admitted she was wrong in respect of cutting police numbers? Has she ever admitted that she was wrong to say the police fed were " crying wolf" over police cuts? Or since 2015 has she had her fingers in her ears saying blah blah blah?

Member Achievements

Hyphen

She will never ever admit that she was wrong. Head in sand comes to mind. That video sums up the last 7 years, refuse to answer the questions and come out with the same mantra. The one that has always wound me up over the years is the usual 'reform is working, crime is down etc.' 

Member Achievements

The Undertaker
6 minutes ago, Hyphen said:

She will never ever admit that she was wrong. Head in sand comes to mind. That video sums up the last 7 years, refuse to answer the questions and come out with the same mantra. The one that has always wound me up over the years is the usual 'reform is working, crime is down etc.' 

TM never seems to give a direct answer to a direct question, she just side steps the question and goes off on a tangent about something else.

All her recent interviews seem to be like that.

Its quite annoying!

Member Achievements

Hyphen
11 minutes ago, The Undertaker said:

TM never seems to give a direct answer to a direct question, she just side steps the question and goes off on a tangent about something else.

All her recent interviews seem to be like that.

Its quite annoying!

Agreed. I suspect this is why she did not want to participate in any actual debate. She doesn't do well when not scripted or a sound bite won't do (more so than most politicians)

Member Achievements

James255

'It's not about the nunber of officers, it's how you deploy them'.

'It's not about the number of officers,it's about what powers they have'. :(

Member Achievements

SD

She also said were police has changed due to the types of offences we police such as CSE, cyber crime and terrorism. Which I totally agree with......but Burglary, ASB and driving offences didn't just go away to make room for the new offences.

That said we have been our own worst enemy. When Windsor told us to bin lower level offences to focus on more serious one we should have. Then made it VERY clear we did as asked but we didn't. We did what we always do which is knuckle down and take up the slack, at the cost of our own health.

PS I do wonder though how many are off with genuine stress and how many are just throwing a tantrum over a complaint are being sent back to response from units being closed. 

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Hyphen
37 minutes ago, SD said:

She also said were police has changed due to the types of offences we police such as CSE, cyber crime and terrorism. Which I totally agree with......but Burglary, ASB and driving offences didn't just go away to make room for the new offences.

That said we have been our own worst enemy. When Windsor told us to bin lower level offences to focus on more serious one we should have. Then made it VERY clear we did as asked but we didn't. We did what we always do which is knuckle down and take up the slack, at the cost of our own health.

PS I do wonder though how many are off with genuine stress and how many are just throwing a tantrum over a complaint are being sent back to response from units being closed. 

To be honest I think this everytime that the usual rhetoric is thrown around. Like you I do agree that these are important areas but to me that would mean more investment rather than reducing numbers as you still need cops to deal with stuff 'on the street'.  It's a flawed argument from the government really.

The point about Windsor I totally agree, we are a victim of our own work ethic so to speak. Rather than take stock and have a grown up conversation about what the police are doing and what the police should be doing the workload just increased and numbers dropped. I guess it's the same with most forces, front line neighbourhood and response teams were cut to the bone particularly when the cuts started biting yet more and more work was taken on picking up from social services and mental health type work from other services who had been cut.

Member Achievements

Sherlock

It's the operational ones I feel sorry for here, being let down by others jumping on the back of the bandwagon driven by the Fed.

There are a number of people off/on restricted with feign illnesses or blatant exacerbating them for an easy ride. They're a disgrace and let not only the public down, but critically their colleagues.

I have sympathy for the ones with genuine mental ill health issues, but certainly not 711. That is not believable by any stretch.

Member Achievements

PC Wannabe
21 hours ago, Hyphen said:

The one that has always wound me up over the years is the usual 'reform is working, crime is down etc.' 

Don't forget the old 'more with less' line too.

Tbh I'm not surprised so many WMP officers are off with things like anxiety, stress and depression. Click on the link to read the article and just look at some of the other headlines that come up at the side and elsewhere on the page, an officer stabbed whilst trying to detain a female suspect, a group of officers who tackled a man with a machete - and were told by one daft bitch to 'leave him alone' - is she for real?

Its hardly surprising they're stressed.

Member Achievements

Zulu 22
2 hours ago, Sherlock said:

It's the operational ones I feel sorry for here, being let down by others jumping on the back of the bandwagon driven by the Fed.

There are a number of people off/on restricted with feign illnesses or blatant exacerbating them for an easy ride. They're a disgrace and let not only the public down, but critically their colleagues.

Is this malingering to your own personal knowledge and if not do you have evidence of that. With the leadership of WMP from as far back as Andy Timpson, are you surprised about morale.

West Mids have been in the firing line for many years now, mainly from Senior Management.  But when the muck is thrown it ends up at ground level so the low morale is understandable.

Edited by Zulu 22

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut
9 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

Is this malingering to your own personal knowledge and if not do you have evidence of that. With the leadership of WMP from as far back as Andy Timpson, are you surprised about morale.

West Mids have been in the firing line for many years now, mainly from Senior Management.  But when the muck is thrown it ends up at ground level so the low morale is understandable.

Over 700 officers off with stress and you are arguing that non are malingering?  Of course some are. 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Sherlock

"Low Morale" isn't an illness.
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

Sherlock
Over 700 officers off with stress and you are arguing that non are malingering?  Of course some are. 

Indeed. It's quite renowned for people to jump on the bandwagon and it's infuriating for the ones left to pick up he pieces - and costly. The respect goes right out of the window where these ones are concerned and, understandably, are not seen as team players but more a hindrance.

If you can't be bothered and/or too tough, do something else.

Member Achievements

Zulu 22
1 hour ago, Sherlock said:

Indeed. It's quite renowned for people to jump on the bandwagon and it's infuriating for the ones left to pick up he pieces - and costly. The respect goes right out of the window where these ones are concerned and, understandably, are not seen as team players but more a hindrance.

If you can't be bothered and/or too tough, do something else.

But you stated "There are a number of people off/on restricted with feign illnesses or blatant exacerbating them for an easy ride. They're a disgrace and let not only the public down, but critically their colleagues".   So are you aware of the numbers, are you aware of how many are malingering. It does not give credit to those who are generally affected by the way that W.M.P. has been run over several decades. I presume that you are an expert on Stress related illnesses.  If the Federation are involved then they are entitled to look after the welfare of their members.

As for some that feign illness, this has always happened and their fellow officers are usually aware of those who are doing so and even managing to eek out an existence on light or back office duties.  Those minority of officers have no respect for their fellow officers, and those same fellow officers have no respect for them.

711 officers is an extremely high number and there must be a reason for that and is not an overnight phenomenon.

So far this topic has sounded like a party political broadcast for the Labour party. Cuts and the destruction of morale have not only just started, it has been happening for 15 years, and more going back through Jack Straw and Jackie Smith, as well as Ms May.

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby

The figure of over 700 is horrendous. There will be some malingering who are adding to the stress, pressure and morale of colleagues still working, BUT there is clearly a massive problem here and elsewhere. Mrs May is reaping what she sowed. The police cover have had to cover every other service shortfall and yet have seen their numbers decimated. Massive resources are directed towards cyber crime, counter terrorism and historic abuse, all the while community and response policing has suffered inordinately. The service is in crisis nationally and the thin blue line is wearing very very thin. I am not going to excuse any officer who malingers at the expense of their colleagues but I am not surprised to find sickness rates going through the roof.

Member Achievements

There are 3 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David