Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
Nick Wilde

Pay points question

Nick Wilde

Evening all. I appreciate these things can vary between forces, but I noticed on most force's pay scales that a student officer usually starts on pay point 0 and moves to pay point 1 'after initial training'. Is initial training the (circa) 14 to 20 week 'classroom' part or the entire two year probation period?

• Like 1

Member Achievements

gremindahouse

Evening all. I appreciate these things can vary between forces, but I noticed on most force's pay scales that a student officer usually starts on pay point 0 and moves to pay point 1 'after initial training'. Is initial training the (circa) 14 to 20 week 'classroom' part or the entire two year probation period?

With d&c it's 18 weeks training followed by 12 week tutorship. Once tutorship is finished you move to pay point 1.

H-H

A question I didn't know I wanted to ask!

Something I've noticed from looking up the pay scales, pay point 1 can be given to any officer (presumably from day 1 of training) who has held IP status or a relevant policing qualification

I was IP in the past and also have a foundation degree in Policing (based around IPLDP) - would this qualify me and how would I go about getting this? I wouldn't want to bring it up and make it look like I see myself as better than my cohort but at the same time it would be nice to have a little more breathing room

Member Achievements

gremindahouse
A question I didn't know I wanted to ask!

Something I've noticed from looking up the pay scales, pay point 1 can be given to any officer (presumably from day 1 of training) who has held IP status or a relevant policing qualification

I was IP in the past and also have a foundation degree in Policing (based around IPLDP) - would this qualify me and how would I go about getting this? I wouldn't want to bring it up and make it look like I see myself as better than my cohort but at the same time it would be nice to have a little more breathing room

Ask HR at a guess, or wait to ask when you start training.

I already have to diploma level 3 in policing, which is the same as what you do on probation... I was told to ask when I start training, I may go on a fast track to get it done again with this force.

H-H

Ask HR at a guess, or wait to ask when you start training.

I already have to diploma level 3 in policing, which is the same as what you do on probation... I was told to ask when I start training, I may go on a fast track to get it done again with this force.

Nice one! I was told my degree is equivalent to diploma level 5 but I don't know if it's 'equivalent' or 'officially recognised' - two very different things, and I want to treat this as a blank page as I've been out of the game for 2 years!

Whereabouts did you get the diploma? Cheers for the advice, I'd be more keen to ask HR as I don't want to put noses out of place at college but I'll wait until after I get the all important email confirming I'm not a crack dealing serial killer!

Member Achievements

H-H

May be force specific, below is from Surrey's website

This year (2017-18), new police constables are welcomed to Surrey Police on a full time starting salary of £25,396 (base pay £22,896 plus £2,500 South East allowance). Our police constables who have successfully completed their two-year probation period are currently earning £26,431

Not that £25k is anything to sniff at but maybe differs force to force - still too low taking into account the risks and sacrifices of the job, but that's for another thread...

Member Achievements

gremindahouse

Nice one! I was told my degree is equivalent to diploma level 5 but I don't know if it's 'equivalent' or 'officially recognised' - two very different things, and I want to treat this as a blank page as I've been out of the game for 2 years!

Whereabouts did you get the diploma? Cheers for the advice, I'd be more keen to ask HR as I don't want to put noses out of place at college but I'll wait until after I get the all important email confirming I'm not a crack dealing serial killer!

Haha, yea wait until your getting a job offer

I did it as part of an apprenticeship in the military police, the course was run by babcock, despite rumours around its legitimacy I've been told that as long as you're in a role that is policing based it will be accredited. The force hasn't questioned it either, it's a edexcel level three diploma so much be legit.

• Like 1

gremindahouse

Not that £25k is anything to sniff at but maybe differs force to force - still too low taking into account the risks and sacrifices of the job, but that's for another thread...

Jesus christ, I'm joining the wrong force,
  • Like 1

Francish

Jesus christ, I'm joining the wrong force,

Which force are you joining? My northern force starts us on 22.8k for new trainees but I think that goes further up here

gremindahouse

D&C, pay point 0 for first 30 weeks before hitting pay point 1.

SD

All depends on the content of the course so a lvl 3 might have more 'police based' content than a lvl 6 so not always a great guide for how much you can  APL across. 

Member Achievements

H-H
All depends on the content of the course so a lvl 3 might have more 'police based' content than a lvl 6 so not always a great guide for how much you can  APL across. 

Cheers@sd, as I say it was sold to me on that so I'm not sure if it IS level 5 or whether it's equivalent to level 5 in the same way that a Whopper is equivalent to a Big Mac. The course delivery was all relevant to policing, but I'm guessing it was sold at level 5 because they had to stretch the classroom based training out over 2 years (less 10 weeks to mirror the tutor stage) to justify it having the foundation degree tag.

Essentially IPLDP in fine (and at points unnecessary) detail
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

gremindahouse

The level three I did was all practical policing based on stop amd search, statements, arrest, search and interview etc etc, the same way I'd imagine the probationers one is too.
  • Like 1

SD

To put it in context officer in GMP get 20 weeks classroom based by which time there expected to have completed 30% of their lv 3 diploma in policing. However, there's probably only about 2 week of it that covers Diploma content the rest is crime/offence knowledge. 

Member Achievements

Policey_Man

Just so you're all aware, police pay in England and Wales is a national pay scale, set out for all forces exactly the same by the Home Office. The only differences allowed are regional allowances for London and then a smaller one for certain South East forces. The base salaries and the rules are the same for all of us. This is slightly complicated by the fact that there are currently two pay scales running, depending on whether you joined before or after April 2013.

If your chief constable can justify putting you on pay point 1 due to having a certain policing qualification or recent policing experience (this is where the independent patrol special thing comes up), then they can choose to do so. They do not have to. They are also allowed to make arguments for increases due to regional difficulties such as recruitment and retention issues, but I don't think anyone has ever tried that yet and given the fact that police recruitment has been limited over the past few years and there are loads of people applying for PC roles, I don't see that happening any time soon given the current economic climate.

Member Achievements

There are 25 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David