Nick Wilde

Pay points question

37 posts in this topic

But who are they taking on? People with no policing experience at all? i.e. never been police staff or specials?
Some forces accept people with no policing experience or qualifications and then in the first few weeks let them study for and obtain a CKP. That then gives them the qualification. The devil here is in the detail and you need to read all the small print, not look at headlines or posters.

CKP is just a qualification in policing knowledge, it doesn't mean you will start on a higher wage, you dont even need it to join hants.

I have experience policing in the military and a level three diploma in policing, yet I'm starting lower than 20k. This conversation seems to have taken a turn with certain people getting funny over something as trivial as pay.

Again, look at the requirements on this page... https://www.hampshire.police.uk/join-us/police-officers/
there's a lot of talk about previous experience in policing organisations or equivalent, the CKP and so on. That again allows the force the flexibility to raise the salary to the £22k based on nationally set down criteria.

Further to my last

"In order to apply to become a police officer, you will need to meet at least one of the following"

The devil is in the detail, it doesn't state that you need anything to start higher than 20k, it just states you need one of pre-requisites to become a Constable with the force.

I'm not going to go round in circles arguing with you. One of those people has full out admitted they misunderstood and were wrong. Their posts do not explain their qualifications or previous policing experience, which would justify the higher salaries, so just saying 'two people claim X' isn't good enough. Get them to come and post on here with their starting salary details, their force names and experience & qualifications and that might help.
If you think you're right, bring us some salary details and force names to the table, so we can look at that. I believe that you are mis-understanding the whole salary structure and not looking and the underlying detail.
QUESTION TO ANYBODY...... Have you started work in the police with no policing experience or qualifications on a base salary of over £20k? If you have, please tell us about it....

Hi PoliceyMan

As I stated, West Yorkshire are heavily recruiting and will continue to do so. Have a look at at the recruitment page - it lists requirements.

No police certificate, no prior police knowledge (e.g. Specials) one A-level. Starting salary of £22890 ish (whatever the 2017 rate is).

Hope that helps.

I'm not going to go round in circles arguing with you. One of those people has full out admitted they misunderstood and were wrong. Their posts do not explain their qualifications or previous policing experience, which would justify the higher salaries, so just saying 'two people claim X' isn't good enough. Get them to come and post on here with their starting salary details, their force names and experience & qualifications and that might help.

If you think you're right, bring us some salary details and force names to the table, so we can look at that. I believe that you are mis-understanding the whole salary structure and not looking and the underlying detail.

QUESTION TO ANYBODY...... Have you started work in the police with no policing experience or qualifications on a base salary of over £20k? If you have, please tell us about it....

The stipulation for Pay Point 1 is from memory either policing experience, CKP, or any Level 3 Qualification (which'd include A-Levels), at discretion of the force.

I joined on £22443, not including extras.

Member Achievements

A question I didn't know I wanted to ask!

Something I've noticed from looking up the pay scales, pay point 1 can be given to any officer (presumably from day 1 of training) who has held IP status or a relevant policing qualification

I was IP in the past and also have a foundation degree in Policing (based around IPLDP) - would this qualify me and how would I go about getting this? I wouldn't want to bring it up and make it look like I see myself as better than my cohort but at the same time it would be nice to have a little more breathing room

Yes. I'm pay scale 1 and have been since I started as I was IP special with Kent. Everyone else who joined up same time as me is pay scale 0.

Member Achievements

I'm starting PC training for Lancs soon and my offer says 22,896, there's no mention of dropping to 19k during training, can I assume that drop won't happen then? Appreciate the help

I'm starting PC training for Lancs soon and my offer says 22,896, there's no mention of dropping to 19k during training, can I assume that drop won't happen then? Appreciate the help

You'll never go down only up. If that's your starting salary then it'll be that from day one

Member Achievements