Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

David

Boots on the ground - footwear advice

David

All footwear questions and advice welcome.

Member Achievements

Klaus

I've been struggling to decide what to purchase as I need a set of boots for when I receive my uniform at the end of this month. In the past I've had a couple of pairs of magnums, both of which fell apart within 6 months, so I shan't be buying cheap stuff or them again! For the last 18 months I've been on a pair of Dr Marten Trent boots which have been fantastic but are now coming to the end of their life.

I'm now thinking it'll probably be the Altberg Peacemaker P1 Originals I go for. I've discounted the goretex version, as I'm going to be in an exclusively urban environment (Croydon), so I'd rather take the enhanced breathability of the normal version and have my feet cool, rather than potentially overheating with the goretex lining. If I was in a county force where the chance of me going into fields was higher, I'd probably go for the Goretex version.

Any thoughts? The other option is the Lowa Combats (again, the normal version, not the GTX version).

I also hear Altberg do a police discount. Anybody know how I go about getting that?

Edited by Klaus_ZD

Member Achievements

Steph3n93

I've been struggling to decide what to purchase as I need a set of boots for when I receive my uniform at the end of this month. In the past I've had a couple of pairs of magnums, both of which fell apart within 6 months, so I shan't be buying cheap stuff or them again! For the last 18 months I've been on a pair of Dr Marten Trent boots which have been fantastic but are now coming to the end of their life.

I'm now thinking it'll probably be the Altberg Peacemaker P1 Originals I go for. I've discounted the goretex version, as I'm going to be in an exclusively urban environment (Croydon), so I'd rather take the enhanced breathability of the normal version and have my feet cool, rather than potentially overheating with the goretex lining. If I was in a county force where the chance of me going into fields was higher, I'd probably go for the Goretex version.

Any thoughts? The other option is the Lowa Combats (again, the normal version, not the GTX version).

I also hear Altberg do a police discount. Anybody know how I go about getting that?

I just got my altbergs peacekeeper p1's two days ago, I phoned them and since they didn't have my size in stock it took them about a week to make them.

They phoned me, took payment that day and I actually had them the next day! Were £140 but when I phoned them they knocked it down to £101! Think postage was £8 or £9 and they done me a big tub of ledergris for £2. They need a wee bit of breaking in but are so comfy and you can tell that they should last!

Member Achievements

Response Cop

I swear by my Altbergs P1's. They are the best boots I've had. I went to the Altberg factory to get my boots fitted. Fantastic service and a good price on production of your warrant card.

Member Achievements

JVet

Altbergs P1 for me here. Love them.

Member Achievements

DonJuan999mk2

As a Special good boots are essential.

My choice are Adidas GSG9s.

Pros

Lightweight

Waterproof

Extremely comfortable

Cons

Cost

Durability (if you wear these non stop expect 1-2 yrs)

More trainer like than formal shoe or boot

Member Achievements

Uppy

I have a pair of Danners. Felt like a slipper from day one except the time I didn't do them up properly for a NTE foot patrol and got a blister...

Member Achievements

Gladstoneboots LTD

The Adidas GSG9 is made as a 'mission specific' boot it is a light weight boot that was originally conceived after the Iranian Embassy seige, requested by the SAS,  it was for the most part a boxing boot with a custom sole, it has now evolved into what we see as the 2nd generation boot - ideal for occasional use but not built with enough under foot padding to be used everyday or as a high mileage boot.

Just my 2 cents :)

• Like 3

Member Achievements

Shmook

We get issued altbergs, I don't know anyone who has complained about them!

Comfy from day one too :)

Member Achievements

Milankovitch

I have Altberg P1s and my only complaint is I find the sole a bit lacking in grip. This seems to be a common complaint about their skywalk soles.

Member Achievements

rosco

I've got a Responder RF/1 boot with a zip: quite good price vs quality relationship I feel.

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Growley

I have a set of Haix boots. I haven't tried Altbergs, but they're comfortable, waterproof and light as anything, I swear by them.

They are however a bit costly.

Member Achievements

Mikeh2000

I had a pair of Danners, lasted eight years, and the only reason I got rid of them was because I couldn't get them resoled.

Member Achievements

R5!

Altberg P3's for me, they are the most comfortable footwear, they don't look stupid and they meet all the public order standards of my issued boot that i'm not allowed to wear on patrol. 

They also come up clean and shiny after a quick rub.

Member Achievements

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David