Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
Bacon_sandwich

Who owns swans?

Bacon_sandwich

Now most people have probably been told that the queen owns all the swans in the U.K.

Others have probably been corrected and told it is only mute swans that are owned by the queen.

Finally some may have been told that it is only unmarked mute swans in certain parts of the Thames and its tributaries that the queen owns.

So who if anyone can give a definitive answer?

If you were called to a swan killing what would you crime it as?

Is it criminal damage? If yes who owns it?

Please when answering point to relevant legislation as there are plenty of myths surrounding this and I want to try and establish what is right.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Member Achievements

Chief Cheetah

Legal Disclaimer

This area of the forum is intended for members to seek advice on Law and Police Procedures applicable to England & Wales. Just like you would pop into your local police station to should the need arise. Any advice on a specific area of law is from either currently-serving UK police officers, and is offered to the best of their ability, or from members of the public who are perhaps aspiring to be serving police officers and may not hold the necessary level of knowledge to provide such assistance or by any other member who may offer their opinion. Either way such advice can only be treated as an opinion and nothing more.

Members should look for the Verified Members Badge that appears on the posters name as advice from members holding this badge are verified police employees. The information is based on their own individual experiences, expertise and training. It is stressed, however, that if any information or advice found in these forums is used by any person or organisation, then the respective police officer(s) and staff can not and will not take any responsibility for any outcome in any investigation in a criminal or civil enquiry. Any advice or opinion offered is to the best of the individuals knowledge and ability based on the information you have supplied, and we will stress that we will never be knowingly misleading or untruthful in content.

• Please note, we do not offer advice or assistance in order to avoid penalties that you have incurred or maybe pending.
  • Such requests are deemed to be of an Operational nature and against our main Forum Rules.
  • You should always seek Legal Advice from a Qualified Solicitor in the event of any impending prosecutions or other involved legal matter.

Police Community Team

Member Achievements

danswans

I do....... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member Achievements

Bacon_sandwich
I do....... _.b6cc4848906ce2bea58b7c9308bb8799

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny you should pipe up. It's your force I'm in dispute with

Perhaps you can take on the case and resolve it all for me.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Mazza

The legislation is the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 I think, according to Google/RSPB. We have similar legislation up here for sheep worrying which is a similar type of crime.

Protection of wild birds, their nests and eggs.E+W

(1)Subject to the provisions of this Part, if any person intentionally—
(a)kills, injures or takes any wild bird;
[F2(aa)takes, damages or destroys the nest of a wild bird included in Schedule ZA1;]
(b)takes, damages or destroys the nest of any wild bird while that nest is in use or being built; or
©takes or destroys an egg of any wild bird,he shall be guilty of an offence.

Member Achievements

PoliceDoge

According to a publication by Parliament,  The Royal Prerogative

Some powers are best described as “archaic” prerogative powers of little relevance in the modern age. These typically cover small, specific issues, like the Crown’s right to sturgeon, wild and unmarked swans and whales. Legislating in these cases would be a questionable use of Parliamentary time.

It was held in the aptly named The Case of Swans  [1591] 77 E.R. 435 that:

All white swans not marked, having gained their natural liberty, and swimming in an open and common river, may be seized to the King's use by his prerogative.

because

a swan is a Royal fowl; and all those, the property whereof is not known, do belong to the King by his prerogative: and so 2whales and sturgeons are Royal fish, and belong to the King by his prerogative.

but

*Every one who hath swans within his private waters hath a property in them.*

*A man may prescribe to have a game of swans within his manor, and may prescribe that his swans may swim within the manor of another.*

As for offences, the RSPB say:

As native wild birds, swans enjoy statutory protection under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and it is an offence to intentionally injure, take or kill a wild swan. 

Member Achievements

chaos4122

Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981

It is an offence to kill a wild bird.

Are you saying that becouse the swans belong the queen they are not wild?

I think I would still crime it as that.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using the Police Community App

Member Achievements

PoliceDoge
4 minutes ago, chaos4122 said:

Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981

It is an offence to kill a wild bird.

Are you saying that becouse the swans belong the queen they are not wild?

I think I would still crime it as that.

I can only imagine that this post is directed to me, but I'm not 100% sure as you haven't quoted :)

Section 27 says  

“wild bird” means any bird of a species which is ordinarily resident in or is a visitor to the European territory of any member State in a wild state but does not include poultry or, except in sections 5  and 16, any game bird;

So I'd agree that it applies to swans! I was simply answering the first question that @Bacon_sandwich asked with regards to the extent that the crown owns swans, and then going on to answer the second part with regards to offences.

Member Achievements

Bacon_sandwich

The majority of replies have gone along the lines of my thinking.

Wildlife and countryside act offence of killing a protected wild bird.

The people I am debating with are stating that the offence should be criminal damage with the queen/crown as the victim because apparently she owns all swans.

I disagree with this assessment but am open minded.

I'm looking for any factual evidence that would support the criminal damage argument or anyone that has dealt with similar cases and secured a conviction of criminal damage or simmer based on the fact a swan is owned by the queen.

Without anything like that I still think my trail of thought is correct and the criminal damage is based or myths legends and outdated laws.

Member Achievements

chaos4122
The majority of replies have gone along the lines of my thinking.

Wildlife and countryside act offence of killing a protected wild bird.

The people I am debating with are stating that the offence should be criminal damage with the queen/crown as the victim because apparently she owns all swans.

I disagree with this assessment but am open minded.

I'm looking for any factual evidence that would support the criminal damage argument or anyone that has dealt with similar cases and secured a conviction of criminal damage or simmer based on the fact a swan is owned by the queen.

Without anything like that I still think my trail of thought is correct and the criminal damage is based or myths legends and outdated laws.

But what would the value of the damage be?

Prohaps both offences would for the crime... But I think your assessment is correct.

Member Achievements

Sceptre

@Bacon_sandwich, have you emailed your crime registrar to ask which crime they think you should record? Personally I think the protections to wild birds being more recent replace medieval laws to do with Royal Prerogative. 

Member Achievements

Bacon_sandwich
[mention=667]Bacon_sandwich[/mention], have you emailed your crime registrar to ask which crime they think you should record? Personally I think the protections to wild birds being more recent replace medieval laws to do with Royal Prerogative. 

I haven't and I think that might be a good call.

Member Achievements