Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
Mod4246

Strong Smell Of Cannabis Coming From Communal Corridors

Mod4246

Ok so this is a real life problem for me ( I understand the disclaimer) but I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.

I live in a building with communal corridors to which I must walk up 3 floors to my flat.

Each floors mezzanine has a communal door located on each floor stairwell that when opened, leads to 4 flats.

So you effectively have 12 flats in the building.

As you open the ground floor door to the building you are hit with a strong Smell of cannabis and it is strongest on the first floor. You cannot narrow it down which with first floor flat it is coming from however on the following floors the smell weakens & on your floor there is no smell at all.

You have contacted the local borough policing team to investigate as well as make numerous follow up calls to see if anything is done about it, to which you get no normal reply.

You have made small remarks to other residents that you see come and go from other floors regarding the smell to which they also have mentioned it is a nuisance.

You don't want to let other residents know you're a police officer & certainly don't want to get involved personally so close to your own home.

You've contacted civilian authorities such as the local council & building owners to see if they are willing to investigate but they draw a blank as to what to do as you cannot specify which flat it comes from.

What do you do?

Sent from my iPhone

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster

Move?

Seriously, you've done pretty much all you can at this stage, keep putting in intelligence logs to help narrow down the offending flat and then the cavalry can go in

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Mod4246
Move?

Seriously, you've done pretty much all you can at this stage, keep putting in intelligence logs to help narrow down the offending flat and then the cavalry can go in

I love the property, it's just annoying when it's so close to home and tough to act on.

I told the Mrs to listen out for the Big Red Key though.

Sent from my iPhone
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

Sceptre

Is the smell constant day and night, and is it the smell of cannabis being smoked or a cannabis farm? Is the block council or private? 

Realistically your options are limited without knowing which flat, and the only way to work that out is by ruling out the flats with decent people, families etc in them and doing the sniff test outside front doors - . Once you know where it is then action ought to be taken, and if it's not happening properly then you could consider your Community Trigger right of review, but without it then it's very hard to do much about officially.

Member Achievements

SimonT

If you are getting nowhere, I would consider a complaint. 

Nothing gets police movement like a formal complaint. You could always get someone else to put it in. Could easily get some neighbourhood intervention of some sort. 

Or ask your neighbours to report as well. Strength in numbers 

Member Achievements

Mod4246
Is the smell constant day and night, and is it the smell of cannabis being smoked or a cannabis farm? Is the block council or private? 
Realistically your options are limited without knowing which flat, and the only way to work that out is by ruling out the flats with decent people, families etc in them and doing the sniff test outside front doors - . Once you know where it is then action ought to be taken, and if it's not happening properly then you could consider your Community Trigger right of review, but without it then it's very hard to do much about officially.

The smell of cannabis is strongest in evenings when returning from work so I can only assume it's being smoked as opposed to grown, but as most know. If theirs one offence, the likelihood of others is probably true.

The building itself is private and the agency doesn't manage any others within the building especially on the floor where it's believed to be coming from.

As you can imagine, sniffing out the culprit property is hard as the mezzanine where the four flat doors are based is about 8ft by 8ft so you can imagine the close proximity of them.

Others have complained and I've narrowed it down to one property but I'm waiting to get further information from other residents before doing a community trigger or in fact reporting it to the local borough with the exact address.

Sent from my iPhone

Member Achievements

Reasonable Man

... the only way to work that out is by ruling out the flats with decent people, families etc in them...

Except decent people and people with families also use cannabis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Member Achievements

Mazza

Intel logs, contact your factoring company to see if they can help. Short of knocking every door with some kind of excuse until you find the culprit, it's not like you can do much else.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Member Achievements

Hades

I have a neighbour in my block who also smokes weed which makes the corridor smell.  Frankly  I'm not  bothered, though I will be having a word if I put the flat up for sale at some point.

At the end of the day if you suspect that it's possession/personal use only, as you have suggested, then beyond a knock on the door there's nothing that's going to happen - no police force has the inclination or resources to be putting peoples doors in for personal possession of cannabis!  

Maybe stick a note up in the corridor asking whoever it is to be a bit more considerate, and if that doesnt work then go door knocking until you find the culprit and tell them in person.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Cbeebies

You could try asking the local postman.

I'm currently a postman and I know exactly which houses/doors/flats are tainted with the smell of cannabis. 

• Like 4

Member Achievements

chaos4122

Try and get a drugs dog to have a sniff around the corridor.. might pick out the right door.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using the Police Community App

Member Achievements

Sir Penguin
On 17/04/2017 at 19:07, Cbeebies said:

You could try asking the local postman.

I'm currently a postman and I know exactly which houses/doors/flats are tainted with the smell of cannabis. 

That is a good idea. However I imagine in these type of flats all post will either get pushed through the front communal door or left in individual post boxes which are on the way into the property.

If the housing agency aren't willing to do anything and nor are the police then there aren't many more options other than what has already been suggested in this thread.

I assume the most effective way of dealing with this would be for the police to come round, try to locate the smell and then they can give them a knock? I've been called to a similar scenario and we did exactly that. Recall police. 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Sir Penguin

I know you have already noted this, but for the benefit of other users.

Any advice on a specific area of law is from either currently-serving UK police officers, and is offered to the best of their ability, or from members of the public who are perhaps aspiring to be serving police officers and may not hold the necessary level of knowledge to provide such assistance or by any other member who may offer their opinion. Either way such advice can only be treated as an opinion and nothing more. Members should look for the Verified Members Badge that appears on the posters name as advice from members holding this badge are verified police employees. The information is based on their own individual experiences, expertise and training. It is stressed, however, that if any information or advice found in these forums is used by any person or organisation, then the respective police officer(s) and staff can not and will not take any responsibility for any outcome in any investigation in a criminal or civil enquiry. Any advice or opinion offered is to the best of the individuals knowledge and ability based on the information you have supplied, and we will stress that we will never be knowingly misleading or untruthful in content.

[*]Please note, we do not offer advice or assistance in order to avoid penalties that you have incurred or maybe pending. [*]Such requests are deemed to be of an Operational nature and against our main Forum Rules. [*]You should always seek Legal Advice from a Qualified Solicitor in the event of any impending prosecutions or other involved legal matter.

Administration Team Police Community

Member Achievements

Milankovitch
On 20/04/2017 at 09:38, chaos4122 said:

Try and get a drugs dog to have a sniff around the corridor.. might pick out the right door.

I can't imagine that being authorised at all...

chaos4122

Why does it need to be authorised... It's a communal hallway to witch the public have access... The dog is for intel gathering perposes and if it indicates on a door that information may be used for a warrant.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using the Police Community App

Member Achievements

There are 9 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David