Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

XA84

Driving Other Vehicles

XA84

Afternoon all, 

Just a quick one. 

I note from shows such as Traffic Cops and Police Interceptors that if a civilian vehicle needs to be moved the officers are able to get inside and move it under Police Insurance. 

Is this limited to advanced police drivers or can any officer providing they have a driving entitlement through the police force? 

Thanks in advance. 

XA84

Member Achievements

Milankovitch

Anybody with the correct bits on their licence can do that where I work, will be force specific I imagine.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Traffic Rat
Afternoon all, 
Just a quick one. 
I note from shows such as Traffic Cops and Police Interceptors that if a civilian vehicle needs to be moved the officers are able to get inside and move it under Police Insurance. 
Is this limited to advanced police drivers or can any officer providing they have a driving entitlement through the police force? 
Thanks in advance. 
XA84

Check your force policy, dont just assume you can.

Ive known policies of Advanced Only, Vehicle similar to current level eg Basic Driver cant move a Bentley

Sent from my PLK-L01 using the Police Community App

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Policey_Man

As above, this very much will be force specific as with most things driving. Check and don't get caught out!

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Hyphen

Yeah definitely worth checking, to be fair it's a really good question as I've never really thought about it Policy wise.

There is an exemption in law though re the insurance providing it is a Constable or someone under their direction and it is for a Policing purpose.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Richhamdo
45 minutes ago, Hyphen said:

Yeah definitely worth checking, to be fair it's a really good question as I've never really thought about it Policy wise.

There is an exemption in law though re the insurance providing it is a Constable or someone under their direction and it is for a Policing purpose.

Hyphen, I recall being asked to drive a police car back in the seventies, it was a long time before we specials were allowed to drive any police car.  Our inspector arrived at  a night club in the next town which was subject to a bomb scare one night and left his Ford fiesta opposite the building. He must of thought better of where he had parked his newish car and asked me to move it about a hundred yards up the road just in case it got damaged by the blast should it go off. Don’t think that would happen now.

Incidentally I often took cars which had been driven by  drink drivers over the prescribed limit back to the station car park for safe keeping. Rich.

Member Achievements

Sir Penguin

Can’t recover vehicles belonging to members of the public here as a basic/a-b driver. Only standard and above.

Member Achievements

Klaus

As has been said, it depends on the force in question. In the Met only an Advanced driver may drive a non-police vehicle. However, if there are no Advanced drivers available, a response driver is allowed to do it instead, if authorisation from a supervisor is given. Basics can under no circumstances drive a non-police vehicle.

In regard of motorbikes, a response solo officer may drive a member of the public's bike if required.

Member Achievements

getmeouttahere

This is one of those topics (in my force at least) where the policy is very non-specific and is open to a lot of manoeuvring by the bosses if something goes wrong and they don't want to stand over you. In practice, it is something that cannot be avoided, but I would be wary of doing it unless absolutely necessary. 

PCSD
On 27/09/2017 at 08:45, Sir Penguin said:

Can’t recover vehicles belonging to members of the public here as a basic/a-b driver. Only standard and above.

And when you say recover, even us standard drivers aren't supposed to do more than move it to the side of the road to prevent it being an obstruction. Recovering it back to the station for forensics/search is meant to be done by the AADL agent. 

Member Achievements

Sir Penguin
And when you say recover, even us standard drivers aren't supposed to do more than move it to the side of the road to prevent it being an obstruction. Recovering it back to the station for forensics/search is meant to be done by the AADL agent. 

So would a basic driver be able to move a vehicle from the side of the road? ‘Recover’ isn’t defined in the policy so seems to be a grey area.

Member Achievements

HazRat
19 minutes ago, Sir Penguin said:

So would a basic driver be able to move a vehicle from the side of the road? ‘Recover’ isn’t defined in the policy so seems to be a grey area.

It all depends on the risk that your force wishes to accept. Mine will will allow response drivers to reposition vehicles to the side of the road if an advanced driver is not available. In traffic trained drivers / steersmen may tie to reposition. If it is to be moved any great distance the driver needs to make sure that the vehicle is safe to be driven. Only an advanced vehicle examiner can confirm that a vehicle is safe to be moved.

Basic drivers in my force can’t do much other than drive a police vehicle.

Edited by HazRat

Member Achievements

Richhamdo
14 minutes ago, HazRat said:

It all depends on the risk that your force wishes to accept. Mine will will allow response drivers to reposition vehicles to the side of the road if an advanced driver is not available. In traffic trained drivers / steersmen may tie to reposition. If it is to be moved any great distance the driver needs to make sure that the vehicle is safe to be driven. Only an advanced vehicle examiner can confirm that a vehicle is safe to be moved.

Basic drivers in my force can’t do much other than drive a police vehicle.

@HazRat Re the last couple of sentences of your letter, maybe that’s no bad thing sometimes. I still haven’t forgotten the time about in the mid seventies when my reg partner pulled over this car one Friday night /Saturday morning a few miles from our home station. This driver blew over the line and to cut a long story short he asked me to follow him in this guys car and bring it back to our station where the camic was. We did this all the time then in all sorts of posh cars. We put the vehicles in the back yard for the night for safe keeping and there it stayed till the driver proved to be under the prescribed limit . 

Even though I had been driving  about ten years by then I was a nervous wreck when I got back to the station. The brakes were practically none existent, the indicators didn’t work and the steering was nothing to write home about either, there was even a hole in the floor, it was a heap of junk. I didn’t notice all this till a few hundred yards down the road but by then the die was cast so i just went slowly, very slowly. I have never been so glad to get where I was going and includes driving in thick fog. I can’t recall when all this sort of thing ended but we started to leave them pretty much where they were stopped in some safe part of the road. Then a few years after that the recovery people took them back (one way or the other) to their depot. 

I suppose this policy is all driven by litigation/compensation/force insurance etc should anything untoward happen to someone’s pride and joy. Who can blame the boss for putting in place such an order. It’s just one bit of aggro less for them that they can avoid. Rich.

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster

As a Special I recovered a couple of vehicles back to the station - at the request of the Sgt on the ground.  In the last year as a regular the guidance we have had is that we may drive a vehicle if we have the relevant category on our licence only so far as to make it safe, to the next lay-by or off the main road.  We no longer take vehicles back to the nick, though we might give the driver a lift back to pick it up depending on a. what they've done and b. their attitude.

Member Achievements

PCSD
4 hours ago, Sir Penguin said:

As far as I understand it, having been a basic driver for 4 years before getting my standard you can't do anything other drive Police vehicles A-B, respond to non-emergency jobs and prisoner transport in MerPol as a Class 5 (albeit compliant stops is being rolled out). If you get your Basic, I would highly recommend against even moving someones car to the side of the road. 

Member Achievements

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David