Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
The Undertaker

Cyclist in spat with police officer 'for driving too close'... but who is in the right?

The Undertaker

Footage of a row between a London cyclist and a Met Police officer over riding in the middle of the road has sparked a fierce debate online over who was in the right.

Full Story - Evening Standard

Member Achievements

Jeebs

Should be in to the side of the road if safe to do so, police officer is right cyclist is wrong.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Milankovitch

Don't think I would pass a cyclist that close to a junction to be honest, better waiting until you are clear of it.

HazRat

That doesn't look that close, but difficult to tell with the lack of vision from the camera.

The cyclist is entitled to room and doesn't want to get boxed in on the near side, but I don't think he was that far into the centre of the road for it to be a problem for the officer to concern himself with.

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

Cyclist can do what they like, they own the whole road. The problem is that 99% of the time they go completely uncontrolled or checked.

Member Achievements

Richhamdo

The questions to consider here is whether or not he was aware of vehicles behind him at the material time and if he was, was he riding inconsideratley I suggest that he wasn't aware of vehicles behind him at the time because if he had been he would have moved to the left a little more until the police car had passed. Seemingly all he was bothered about was himself and getting to work as fast as he could.

At or or about 120 secs into the video it was clear to me that the cyclist behind was much further into the side and allowed the police car to pass easily. The  cyclist we are discussing was well out into the road at this point, a bit too far to my mind, only he knows why. The police officer was correct and polite in this case from what I could see, but it's just a pity we can't see the view taken from the police car if there was one, so that we get two sides of the coin. I actually thought about getting one of those camera things to go on the windscreen but never really got around to it. My brother reckons they won't play on my iPad, I don't know how true that is now.

It's been well over fifty years since I have been on a bicycle but I do appreciate that cyclists sometimes need to avoid potholes/car doors  etc.that didn't seem to be the case here. 

For those who would say "He would say that, wouldn't he" (as per Mandy Rice-Davies) that's not the case,  I like to think I am fair, or as fair as I can be to everyone. That's my fourpennorth on it anyway.Rich.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

PC Wannabe

To be honest my first thought was that the officer didn't seem too close anyway, but I accept cameras can be deceptive sometimes.

The second time I watched it, I was paying attention to how far into the road the cyclist was, and he did indeed seem way too far out, he was almost in the centre of the lane! Perhaps he was just concerned about car doors opening as to be fair some people are careless and don't check their mirrors first, but he appears to stay out in the centre even when there are no parked cars, such as when he goes through the crossing at about 17 seconds into the video, could he not just slow a little and pull in slightly to let traffic overtake? Too many cyclists nowadays seem to have this inconsiderate, selfish attitude. Then again, we seem to have a lot of me-me's in this world.

Member Achievements

NCFPA
That doesn't look that close, but difficult to tell with the lack of vision from the camera.
The cyclist is entitled to room and doesn't want to get boxed in on the near side, but I don't think he was that far into the centre of the road for it to be a problem for the officer to concern himself with.

I think the issue he had was that he was so far over he barely had enough room to do a safe overtake, this can be a problem on short London roads with cars parked either side.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Member Achievements

obsidian_eclipse

When I did my cycling proficiency (and also motorcycle later on) the instructor always said to ride just to the left of the centre of the lane (with obvious changes to Road positions depending on junctions and bends etc). So whilst approaching a junction you'd ride further out to ensure that you were seen by any drivers turning out of the junction and also give you room to maneuver should they smidsy. Similarly you would avoid being too far to the right of the lane due to oncoming traffic obscuring you if someone was to overtake in the on coming lane.

There's also the fact you don't want to upset drivers in their iron boxes when there's nothing between you and the tarmac. So ride like everyone is trying to kill you.

It seems to me from the video. The cyclist was pushing it a bit.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Member Achievements

MerseyLLB

I must admit I've never been much of a cyclist.

However when learning on my motorbike it was drilled into you NOT to ride in the gutter like most cyclists do and that you are entitled to as much room as a car.

I suppose the question is: would the officer overtake a car with the same space? If no its a moot point as you should give solo riders extra room.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

jimmyriddle

Mersey's right, you can't ride in the gutter because of potholes and drains, yes he's probably a bit too far over but 1) you have to give cyclists extra room and 2) if you can't do number 1, you have to wait for a safe time.

Think about it, the PC is saying "i overtook the cyclist dangerously because it was a tight road".

If it's not safe to pass, you do not pass. Simple as that.

Member Achievements

Zulu 22
2 hours ago, jimmyriddle said:

Mersey's right, you can't ride in the gutter because of potholes and drains, yes he's probably a bit too far over but 1) you have to give cyclists extra room and 2) if you can't do number 1, you have to wait for a safe time.

Think about it, the PC is saying "i overtook the cyclist dangerously because it was a tight road".

The point being that the cyclist was riding without reasonable consideration as he was making sure that nothing could get past. The point about motor cyclists is irrelevant as they would be travelling at the same speed as the car.

Member Achievements

Rocket

Am I wrong in thinking it was a 20mph limit which was the speed the cyclist was travelling at so there was no need to overtake him?

Member Achievements

NCFPA

Both of your points are invalid, in this example he is miles away from any gutters and is protected by park cars to his near side.

2, it is a defence to overtake a slow moving vehicle/cycle if it is safe to do so, even on solid whites, the officer did nothing wrong and for you to reference it as dangerous driving is laughable.

I am all for giving cyclists/solos extra room but the cyclist in this video is in my opinion arrogantly rubbing in he doesn't have to pay vehicle tax and can ride where he likes and all it does is frustrate other road users unnecessarily. The police driving was absolutely fine.

Thoughts from both a cyclist and a police response driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

Mod4246

After watching that video a few times it does seem to me that the cyclist is riding too far central in the road.

Although as a motorbike rider myself, I'm cautious at overtaking cyclists as they have a tendency to sway in the road however this cyclist is taking full advantage of a clear road and his comment about the "Highway Code" obviously forgets that cyclists must be considerate of other road users & be aware of traffic from behind.

I've always had issues with cyclists in London regarding their manor of riding such as riding through lights & dangerously filtering through traffic both on the inside & outside as well as obstructing traffic from manoeuvring around them.

I too would of liked to of seen the police cars footage of the cyclists riding to see their perspective as these cameras cyclists use, do make things seem closer than they seem.

Sent from my iPhone

• Like 1

Member Achievements

There are 7 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David