Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
Sign in to follow this  
BaldingDad

Familiarisation event Avon and Somerset

BaldingDad

Hi again,

I was applying last year for Avon & Somerset specials but decided that I couldn't commit to the time so withdrew my application. However, I have had some things change and am now in a position to be able to make the commitment (if successful).

I have been invited to a familiarisation event this week and am looking forward to it. Has anyone else been to one of these and what can I expect? Also, would I be right in thinking that we will all be under assessment during our time at such events?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Member Achievements

Richhamdo
2 hours ago, BaldingDad said:

Hi again,

I was applying last year for Avon & Somerset specials but decided that I couldn't commit to the time so withdrew my application. However, I have had some things change and am now in a position to be able to make the commitment (if successful).

I have been invited to a familiarisation event this week and am looking forward to it. Has anyone else been to one of these and what can I expect? Also, would I be right in thinking that we will all be under assessment during our time at such events?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

BaldingDad, I haven't been to any events arranged  by your force so haven't the foggiest as to what they do, but for what it's worth I've been to plenty in my force and done them for years as well. The purpose of these events is generally speaking to make applicants aware of what they are letting themselves in for. (Those who passed the first paper sift in our case)It is also an opportunity for the potential applicant to ask any questions they like, we often had a few specials at the meeting to help answer them, privately on a one to one basis  at the end of the meeting if that is what they wanted. It's usually made very clear the spare time needed to do justice to the role and maybe someone will ask if the applicant really has plenty of spare time to be a special and under take the considerable training involved, given any other commitments they might have, such as work or golf/football  etc :).

They might ask you if you are sure you don't want to change your mind before all the assessments /paper work  is started etc. I remember asking this question a few times but I can only recall one lady changing her mind. I used to tell them exactly how the role was, warts and all. I sometimes thought it all went in one ear and out of the other, they were determined to join up come hell or high water. . From the time I joined to the time I retired last year training never stopped. I say never but it did stop for a couple of months usually during the summer school holidays and bank holidays etc.

I suppose  most, usually ten out of every twelve wanted to make policing their day job eventually so they didn't seem to be too bothered about the training. As for assessing people, I guess most wouldn't make any inappropriate remarks about people but it made no difference to me what they wore to the meeting  suits or jeans and flowery shirt,all the same to me.I remember back in the day when we used to do this after we got an enquiry from someone it was called a "home visit" of course this isn't politically correct now supposedly . Anyway, I went to see this young man at his home in the back of beyond and asked him what he knew about the specials and how he found out about it. He told me all he knew about the special  constabulary was what he read in a small newspaper advert encouraging people to join so thought he would apply. I was a bit taken aback at the time.he was absolutely fine as it turned out.  You will be better informed before putting your hand to the plough I am quite sure. All the best.Rich.

Member Achievements

Sign in to follow this  

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David