Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
danswans

Driving courses

danswans

So was watching an old episode of "Rookies" from ITV this morning. I noticed all of their recruits leave the training school with response driving permits.

Just out of interest, in Kent we have basic, standard and advanced + TPAC. All new recruits will leave training school with a basic driving permit which is restricted to non response. It normally takes a long time / waiting list to get your standard response course. I'm slightly jealous as it may take me 3-4 years before I get mine!

I was wondering how many other forces give new recruits response training whilst at training school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member Achievements

HazRat

I thought they left training school as A to B, basic or non response (however your force defines untrained police drivers).

Member Achievements

Sir Penguin

I know that Cumbria incorporate response driving. 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

gremindahouse

It makes sense to me that it's incorporated into the training to be honest. I know officers on response who have had to respond to incidents single crewed that haven't done the response course, therefore couldn't use blue lights. It's ridiculous. This has caused a massive back log of people waiting to get on the course.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

MindTheGap

Of course in the 70s and 80s there was no response course, that was the basic. Advanced training was what everyone wanted! 

My skipper joined in 1976 as a cadet at 16. The job did his driving test in 77, then he did his response course in 78 after his foundation training, which in his own words was 2 laps Northants HQ with a plantpot and two tone on... How things change! (He left Northants as an advanced, TPAC, pursuit trained officer and still maintains his qualifications)

Should it be basic training now? Yes - will it be? Unlikely! It costs money.

Member Achievements

Bob123

South Wales don't even give you a guarantee of a basic A to B. I was lucky to carry mine over from being a rural PCSO. Response courses are normally done with probation although it's a free-for-all for courses. Dyfed Powys do their response in initial training

Member Achievements

Policey_Man
3 hours ago, danswans said:

So was watching an old episode of "Rookies" from ITV this morning. I noticed all of their recruits leave the training school with response driving permits.

I'm familiar with both series of Rookies, but never picked up on the fact they left training school as response drivers. What makes you think this? I saw a couple of them driving on blues but figured that they'd gone back in between filming... doesn't really matter, I guess but just curious.

Edited by Policey_Man

Member Achievements

danswans
I'm familiar with both series of Rookies, but never picked up on the fact they left training school as response drivers. What makes you think this? I saw a couple of them driving on blues but figured that they'd gone back in between filming... doesn't really matter, I guess but just curious.

Because on the first series the narrator says "the rookies will now spend their last shift with their tutors before taking to the streets tomorrow... On their own" then the next day comes and it shows them responding on blues. This suggests to me they already had their courses before becoming independent.

Member Achievements

PCSD
10 minutes ago, danswans said:

Because on the first series the narrator says "the rookies will now spend their last shift with their tutors before taking to the streets tomorrow... On their own" then the next day comes and it shows them responding on blues. This suggests to me they already had their courses before becoming independent.

But you'll notice 'The Lump' doesn't blue light to the stabbing, and takes 20 minutes to get there before manning the scene. Some of the blue light footage may have been on private/closed roads for dramatic effect or as you say, filmed weeks/months later.

In MerPol when I joined everyone got A-B Basic permits, I carried mine over from being a Special and others did their assessments during training. Now current recruits come out as complete non-drivers. Response courses are taking about 3-4 years to come through at present. I got mine slap bang on the 3 year mark but there's others who are at three and a half going on 4 years now who haven't got a date.

Cheshire on the other hand either do it during training or after their 10 week tutor phase. I enjoyed going to their HQ for refs on my driving course!

Member Achievements

danswans
But you'll notice 'The Lump' doesn't blue light to the stabbing, and takes 20 minutes to get there before manning the scene. Some of the blue light footage may have been on private/closed roads for dramatic effect or as you say, filmed weeks/months later.
In MerPol when I joined everyone got A-B Basic permits, I carried mine over from being a Special and others did their assessments during training. Now current recruits come out as complete non-drivers. Response courses are taking about 3-4 years to come through at present. I got mine slap bang on the 3 year mark but there's others who are at three and a half going on 4 years now who haven't got a date.
Cheshire on the other hand either do it during training or after their 10 week tutor phase. I enjoyed going to their HQ for refs on my driving course!

That's series 2. I'm talking about series 1. It's either north or West Yorkshire police for series 1. It shows a new recruit driving on blues and he's giving commentary whilst on route to the scene and you can clearly see blue lights in the background / street signs etc. I'm the same as you. My basic A-B was carried over from specials. In Kent, were allowed to stop vehicles using blue lights and sirens but nothing else. I know some forces don't even allow that for basic drivers.

Member Achievements

PCSD
Just now, danswans said:

That's series 2. I'm talking about series 1. It's either north or West Yorkshire police for series 1. It shows a new recruit driving on blues and he's giving commentary whilst on route to the scene and you can clearly see blue lights in the background / street signs etc. I'm the same as you. My basic A-B was carried over from specials. In Kent, were allowed to stop vehicles using blue lights and sirens but nothing else. I know some forces don't even allow that for basic drivers.

Ah roger, I was working my way through season two of Rookies last week, hence the confusion! 

As Class 5/A-B drivers in MerPol there's no compliant stopping, initially we weren't even deployable to jobs! But eventually they allowed us to go to Grade 2s/Priorities. Much more enjoyable as a Class 3/Response driver. Now awaiting my carrier medical/theory/course and initial pursuit. 

Member Achievements

danswans
Ah roger, I was working my way through season two of Rookies last week, hence the confusion! 
As Class 5/A-B drivers in MerPol there's no compliant stopping, initially we weren't even deployable to jobs! But eventually they allowed us to go to Grade 2s/Priorities. Much more enjoyable as a Class 3/Response driver. Now awaiting my carrier medical/theory/course and initial pursuit. 

Ahh right fair play. No compliant stops? Bet that's annoying. If you see someone on their mobile phone etc, what can you do about it?! Bet it's much better on response for you.

Member Achievements

Sir Penguin

Looks like I've got a long wait for my driving course then

Member Achievements

PCSD
1 minute ago, danswans said:

Ahh right fair play. No compliant stops? Bet that's annoying. If you see someone on their mobile phone etc, what can you do about it?! Bet it's much better on response for you.

Can't do anything, a few basic drivers used to pulled alongside and pull them over but got their hands slapped for 'stopping' vehicles. 

Funnily enough, 3 weeks after my response course I was taken off response and put on a non-emergency team. Still get to do blue light runs though when response are struggling so still do a few blue light runs and had plenty of TOR/OSCOs to issue. 

Member Achievements

Policey_Man
1 hour ago, danswans said:

Series 1 was Lincolnshire, although I appreciate if you're a southerner that "up north" is just all one big thing north of London :P

I remember the gay chap going to a stabbing and the others doing blues runs quite quickly.  

Any Lincs officers around to confirm when you get your response driving?....

Member Achievements

There are 70 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David