danswans

Driving courses

85 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MerseyLLB said:

As for your comment regarding the lowest bidder...you might find that could be Kent...they are, against the trend, increasing the size of the driving school.

I don't think we're that desperate ;-)

3 people like this

Member Achievements

Everyone thinks they can drive. Believe me that on the Advanced Course, at the end of the day, mentally and phsyically you are exhausted.

Member Achievements

7 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

Everyone thinks they can drive. Believe me that on the Advanced Course, at the end of the day, mentally and phsyically you are exhausted.

Who said otherwise?

I'm struggling to see the relevance of your post, outside of you trying to tell us ever so subtly that you've been on the advanced course.

4 people like this

Member Achievements

Who said otherwise?
I'm struggling to see the relevance of your post, outside of you trying to tell us ever so subtly that you've been on the advanced course.

I think he means the Advanced basic driver course, a lot of met officers are proud to blah about that qualification.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community
1 person likes this

Member Achievements

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Growley said:

Who said otherwise?

I mistakenly thought that this was a Police Forum and that the topic was driving courses.  It was merely addressing the depth and commitment required in an Advanced Driving course.  People who have not been able to experience one would not necessarily be aware of the mental drain.

Edited by Zulu 22

Member Achievements

15 hours ago, HazRat said:

AFAIK they shouldn't. That force will be operating outside of the pursuit manual. Response drivers can be initial phase, but not tactical.

Perhaps it's just terminology then?....

Member Achievements

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, HazRat said:

Whilst it is a good idea for BOCU to get TPAC I can't see how they can adequately resource a pursuit as my view is when this BOCU assimilation process properly kicks in someone will adjust the fleet profile and there will be a reduction in area cars.

Well I you could look at it like that in terms of each Borough in it's own box, or you could suggest that the BOCU area cars should be a Met-wide resource that can support pursuits that are both on and off their own BOCU. Therefore, when traffic are travelling from miles away or are unavailable, BOCU TPAC vehicles from that or nearby BOCUs should be putting up to assist. If that was the case - which I think it should be - it doesn't matter how many TPAC drivers are on Borough, just that they are there and are willing to get stuck in.

Edited by Policey_Man

Member Achievements

8 hours ago, Policey_Man said:

Well I you could look at it like that in terms of each Borough in it's own box, or you could suggest that the BOCU area cars should be a Met-wide resource that can support pursuits that are both on and off their own BOCU. Therefore, when traffic are travelling from miles away or are unavailable, BOCU TPAC vehicles from that or nearby BOCUs should be putting up to assist. If that was the case - which I think it should be - it doesn't matter how many TPAC drivers are on Borough, just that they are there and are willing to get stuck in.

In fairness there are postings on borough response teams already which require the crew to be listening to Pan London radio channels and be available to be called off borough. If area cars were doing that, I could see it at least boosting their importance back up a bit. It seems like for years now, area cars are just being treated like another IRV.

Member Achievements

Whereas at the moment you get told off for listening on the relevant channel, even if you are the area car!

Member Achievements

In fairness there are postings on borough response teams already which require the crew to be listening to Pan London radio channels and be available to be called off borough. If area cars were doing that, I could see it at least boosting their importance back up a bit. It seems like for years now, area cars are just being treated like another IRV.

I get your point, but I think that how the area cars work depends greatly on the Borough, the supervisors and the drivers themselves. In some places I agree there is a definite lack of prestige, in others it still remains. 

Member Achievements

49 minutes ago, Klaus said:

Whereas at the moment you get told off for listening on the relevant channel, even if you are the area car!

Told off by who?

Member Achievements

Posted (edited)

51 minutes ago, Policey_Man said:

I get your point, but I think that how the area cars work depends greatly on the Borough, the supervisors and the drivers themselves. In some places I agree there is a definite lack of prestige, in others it still remains. 

I can think of a couple of boroughs I've worked on which still seem to keep the 'good old days' attitude, and so the prestige probably still applies there, but other places it almost seems like a waste of an advanced driving ticket. Perhaps there would be some benefit in some central direction on their use in this regard. Having area car drivers acting as a regional resource (NE, NW, SE, SW perhaps) when required could potentially make a great deal more use of what is ultimately a significant and very difficult to attain skillset.

50 minutes ago, Policey_Man said:

Told off by who?

When I was on borough I had the same direction, that cars shouldn't be monitoring the pursuit channels unless involved. I don't know who does the telling off, but it does seem like a very odd direction, considering you could be a couple of streets away from a pursuit and not even know about it.

Edited by Growley

Member Achievements

In North Wales Police officers do their standard, three week, Road Craft response driving course straight after the initial IPLDP classroom training. If you fail to meet the standard for response then you will leave with your basic A to B driving permit - you'd then be on a waiting list to redo your response driving. After three years driving on response, officers are invited back to the driving school for a refresher and their initial pursuit training.

My mate in Notts Police has been in the job for over two years now and is still unable to drive on blues as he's waiting for a course.

Sent from my SM-G930F using the Police Community App

Member Achievements

When I was on borough I had the same direction, that cars shouldn't be monitoring the pursuit channels unless involved. I don't know who does the telling off, but it does seem like a very odd direction, considering you could be a couple of streets away from a pursuit and not even know about it.

We've got to be realistic, with the demand we have and the threat of us having to loose numbers can we really justify having an area car just being kept free for the Gucci jobs and pursuits. On our team the area car drivers take every call, sometimes sudden deaths, that's what makes us a team because ultimately we are response officers not sit around waiting for a good call or pursuit officers. That's probably why we're such a good team as everyone takes everything. No such thing as 'van calls' 'taser calls' or 'area car calls'

Member Achievements

I can think of a couple of boroughs I've worked on which still seem to keep the 'good old days' attitude, and so the prestige probably still applies there, but other places it almost seems like a waste of an advanced driving ticket. Perhaps there would be some benefit in some central direction on their use in this regard. Having area car drivers acting as a regional resource (NE, NW, SE, SW perhaps) when required could potentially make a great deal more use of what is ultimately a significant and very difficult to attain skillset.

CCC now obtains a list every shift of TPAC trained units across the Met, so they know what resources are there and the crew.

I agree with your comments about the 'waste of a driving ticket' but sometimes this also has much to do with the attitude of the driver - there are those Level 1 drivers around who still want to go to every I and S that comes out.  I applaud their keenness, but on the flip side, this allows other units to hide and can result in their skills being tied up when they are actually needed.

I think this depends on what that unit is. It makes no sense for pandas or the recent IRVs who don't have an initial pursuit ticket to listen to the channels. But I would have thought most area cars had it on as a matter of routine.

Member Achievements