Serious Chris

What did you do before joining the Police?

32 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, H-H said:

I currently work in the technical/customer services team of a luxury bathroom retailer. I get all the cons of the police (understaffing, low pay and being bawled at on the reg) without the pros!!

Wanted to be a cop since I was 16 and did a foundation degree in Policing. I'm just tired of dealing with the kind of people who spend £7k on a shower room for their dogs...

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

asserting that someone in luxury bathroom fittings deals with "all the cons" of the police is a bit of a stretch.

i'm guessing you don't deal with quite as many dead babies, people spitting in your face, risk of getting stabbed/shot/stuck by needles whilst selling toilets..

Member Achievements

asserting that someone in luxury bathroom fittings deals with "all the cons" of the police is a bit of a stretch.

i'm guessing you don't deal with quite as many dead babies, people spitting in your face, risk of getting stabbed/shot/stuck by needles whilst selling toilets..

It was intended as a tongue in cheek comment, apologies if I caused you any offence

Member Achievements

31 minutes ago, H-H said:

It was intended as a tongue in cheek comment, apologies if I caused you any offence

my bad

Member Achievements

my bad

Having said that I was out and about and tried to stop it posting just after I hit the send button to no avail

I did edit it later to try to make it seem less obnoxious but can see where you were coming from Pete

Member Achievements

Army for 27 years

Teaching for two - students great but ultra toxic management.  Special at the same time.

2 people like this

Member Achievements

Start on the 24th with MPS. I've been working as a hairdresser in the family company whilst I met the living requirement and before that I was in the Army.

Sent from my iPhone

1 person likes this

Army for 27 years
Teaching for two - students great but ultra toxic management.  Special at the same time.

Hope you don't mind me asking but how old were you when you joined? The reason I ask is that I've recently joined Gwent and there are quite a few people in their 40's on my intake....I'm not sure why but that kind of surprised me a little bit at first - but having spoken with them at length I now see how naïve I was to expect everyone to be mid 20's like me. They have so much more life experience than me and clearly lots to offer the job....and I think it's great that they've decided to completely change their careers at a time when a lot of people wouldn't!!

55 minutes ago, Gpr2016 said:

Hope you don't mind me asking but how old were you when you joined? The reason I ask is that I've recently joined Gwent and there are quite a few people in their 40's on my intake....I'm not sure why but that kind of surprised me a little bit at first - but having spoken with them at length I now see how naïve I was to expect everyone to be mid 20's like me. They have so much more life experience than me and clearly lots to offer the job....and I think it's great that they've decided to completely change their careers at a time when a lot of people wouldn't!!

I was 51 when I started training.  There's another ex-soldier who is 47.  The youngest on our intake celebrated their 20th birthday not long after we started.  As for the career change, mine was pretty much forced on me.  I left the Army at 47, I could have stayed another couple of years but it was the right time.  The college job had reached a point where I couldn't stand the dichotomy between the supine junior management and the bullying senior level that refused to listen to staff concerns.

I won't say the police are the perfect employer - politics are never far from the surface but I'm enjoying it so far.

1 person likes this

Member Achievements

I was 51 when I started training.  There's another ex-soldier who is 47.  The youngest on our intake celebrated their 20th birthday not long after we started.  As for the career change, mine was pretty much forced on me.  I left the Army at 47, I could have stayed another couple of years but it was the right time.  The college job had reached a point where I couldn't stand the dichotomy between the supine junior management and the bullying senior level that refused to listen to staff concerns.
I won't say the police are the perfect employer - politics are never far from the surface but I'm enjoying it so far.

I'm full of admiration for you....and I very much hope that if anyone else reads this who may be reluctant to join because they feel that maybe the time has passed then I would urge them to just go for it. There are 16 on my intake and 4 are in their 40's so exactly 25%....the wide range of ages and backgrounds brings so much to the group and even at this early stage of training my eyes have certainly been opened to how invaluable life experience is to policing.

I worked in the same pub since I was young and when I dropped out of university five months in, I worked there full-time for a few months while going through the application process before joining as a PC at 19. 

Member Achievements

I have worked part time in retail for the last 3 years whilst studying at university for a joint honours degree and volunteering what little free time i had as a special. I am now set to join the regulars very soon just a few days after my 21st birthday.

Worked a desk job at a University. Pay was better, but paper shuffling wasn't for me! Happier now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using the Police Community App

Member Achievements

Mental health support worker for a medium secure forensics mental health unit.

Member Achievements

I'm in my late 30's. I'm a coal merchant, own Ltd company. Was in the RAF Regiment all my life before that. I have my Assessment Centre in a few weeks.

I'm in my late 20s. I'm joining the BTP in just over 3 weeks. I was a BT engineer for nearly 9 years, then I went to work for one of the London Borough Councils on the highways department for nearly 18 months. Then just before joining the Police I've been working at a wireless technology company for a few weeks.