Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
Serious Chris

What did you do before joining the Police?

Serious Chris

And what were your reasons?

Just curious as I spoke with a PC a while back whilst he was attending a relative's who was giving a statement.

As I am interested in joining myself we had a bit of a chat and I found out we were very similar in terms of work history before joining and our motivations to work in the Police force.

I personally work a safe desk job in an office for the public sector. Same thing everyday with little interaction with anything other than a keyboard and a screen and very little opportunity for profession or career advancement.

I'm looking for a job that has a lot of variety, career opportunities and something that not only gives me a sense of purpose within the community with which I live but also able to serve that community to make it better in some small way.

Obviously aside from that I've always looked upto the Police from a young age (like a lot of us would've I'm sure) and now that I'm closing in on 30yr old I feel that now is my time to apply and do something I've been thinking about for a few years.

I look forward to hearing your stories if you wish to share them.

Sent from my Pixel XL using the Police Community App

Francish

I worked in IT for the NHS which provided a nice amount of interaction and change but ultimately wasn't too exciting, and police was something I wanted to do for a while now. (Haven't actually started yet, the wait for the training currently is slightly painful).

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

• Like 1

NatNatC

I finished in HR working for the NHS yesterday and start my training Monday.. It's taken 7 months from application to this point.. Excited and nervous right now but ready for this step and like yourself I am similar aged and had similar reasons for taking this step.

Sent from my E5823 using the Police Community App

• Like 3

Ewa

I'm in my early 30's and starting on the 20th. I graduated psychology with masters degree in Poland and worked there in my profession for about a year. Nearly five years ago I moved to England and since then I have been working in a big-busy-hotel behind the hotel bar and in our coffeeshop. After three years I became a resident and was eligible to apply. I took the chance last year end of February when first recruitment opened and succeeded (after 11 months and one day lol). Reasons are similar to all you above : )

• Like 3

Sir Penguin

I did a foundation degree in policing and prior to that I did some sort of public services course at college. I've always known what I wanted to do which made it slightly easier for me. Safe to say if my career in policing ever fell through then I don't think I'd be qualified for much else. 

I've been in the police for just over two years but I've only started as a reg in the past year and it's just as rewarding as I expected it to be despite the stories you will hear. 

• Like 2

Member Achievements

LeSquirrel

Before joining as a PC last August I worked in marketing and web design/development for 9 years doing sales and account management. I completely fell out of love with it and hated being a salesman.

• Like 2

Member Achievements

oli7

Before I joined the police I was a sign maker making signs for large companies.

• Like 1

XA84

I'm still waiting for my chance to be a police officer which I'm hoping will be next month.

I've done a bit of everything.

Worked in Comms for the Police was the main one though, also been a special constable for a number of years. 

Edited by XA84
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

Serious Chris

Thank you everyone for your contributions so far. It's very interesting hearing all your stories and I'm sure other people who're interested in joining the Police will find a lot of common ground.

Too often people forget that those who work for the Police had different lives beforehand.  These kind of background stories help you realise that we're all on the same page more or less before taking that big step towards applying to join.

Edited by Serious Chris

bensonby

Joined straight out of university. Wanted the job because I have a uniform and handcuff fetish. 

Well, no, that's not the reason. I joined because I wanted a stable job where I wouldn't be made redundant every few years with a steady respectable wage, a decent pension and an early and defined retirement date. It's also something I believed in and believed I would be good at. Unfortunately the economic reasons turned out to be nonsense. I do enjoy the job (generally) and really like (most of) the people I work with.

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby

Went to school

• Like 1

Member Achievements

stewie_griffin

Worked in a car factory.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

PCSD

Worked for British Airways. When i look back now I wish I'd stayed there! It was less stressful, pay was worse but work life balance was better and I'd have been entitled to two free business class tickets every year to anywhere I wanted by now.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

shakingOrb

I'm set to start training at the end of May.
I'm a Highways England Traffic Officer

Sent from my SM-G920F using the Police Community App

• Like 1

Member Achievements

H-H

I currently work in the technical/customer services team of a luxury bathroom retailer. I get all the cons of the police (understaffing, low pay and being bawled at on the reg) without the pros!!!

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Paid Membership Required

There are 24 hidden replies in this thread. To unlock the forum you will need to be a registered member and have a paid Membership Plan or Recruitment Pass. Click HERE for full details.

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David