Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
Clear Left!

Rucksacks?

Clear Left!

Hello!

Does anyone here use a rucksack instead of the standard patrol bag which you carry or an over the shoulder bag?

I think that they look quite smart and will be a bit easier to carry the weight of everything I keep in there.

This is the one I'm looking at:

https://www.police-supplies.co.uk/police-bags/patrol-duty-tactical/protec-tactical-3-day-rucksack

Currently looking for suggestions :) 

Edited by Clear Left!

Member Achievements

Klaus

I have both and use the patrol bag almost all the time. The backpack just isn't as practical or easy to get your stuff out of.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Member Achievements

Growley

Depends on how much you actually carry. When I was on response team I carried a hold-all rather than a rucksack; the latter simply didn't hold all the paperwork I might need.

Now I'm off borough and use less paperwork I just carry a backpack with my refs, headache pills and a bottle of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Member Achievements

Indiana Jones

Now I have an MDT,  I need to carry much less paperwork than before.  In fact I rarely go to my bag at all these days.

An eBay £12 copy of a much more expensive backpack works just fine for me.

Member Achievements

Milankovitch

I use a kit bag and a rucksack in the winter in case we need to ditch the vehicle, rucksack carries essentials (food, water, batteries, torches, dry clothing etc) and kit bag has stuff like . Cheap rucksack I picked up in a sale at an outdoors shop does for me.

Clear Left!

Mhm... Maybe I'll take a look round for some cheaper rucksacks and then make sure all my stuff fits in there!!

Thanks for the help

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut
4 minutes ago, Clear Left! said:

Mhm... Maybe I'll take a look round for some cheaper rucksacks and then make sure all my stuff fits in there!!

Thanks for the help

One with compartments will make life much easier...

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Policey_Man

I'd strongly recommend Mil-Tec rucksack, they seem quite popular. Plenty of separate compartments too, which are really handy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mil-Tec-Military-Tactical-Rucksack-Backpack/dp/B004LSBYR0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488405461&sr=8-2&keywords=mil+tec+backpack

I'd search Amazon carefully as although that's the official link, the prices can be quite variable with other suppliers.

• Like 3

Member Achievements

Shmook
29 minutes ago, Policey_Man said:

I'd strongly recommend Mil-Tec rucksack, they seem quite popular. Plenty of separate compartments too, which are really handy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mil-Tec-Military-Tactical-Rucksack-Backpack/dp/B004LSBYR0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488405461&sr=8-2&keywords=mil+tec+backpack

I'd search Amazon carefully as although that's the official link, the prices can be quite variable with other suppliers.

I have the same bag as this, unbranded off eBay. I paid £12 delivered, but believe it's about £18-19 now. Lasted me maybe 3 years in my day job as a contractor, carrying loads of heavy stuff and being thrown around vans all day. I retired it for another, but not because it died, and it's still going strong now. Couldn't recommend it enough!

for coppering, I use a £3 small black hold-all from tesco. Got it when I attested, and it lasted the test. Again full of rubbish, but there's nowt wrong with it. I didn't fancy forking out for a 'proper' patrol bag as I don't get paid for it...

It takes a flat cap, paperwork folder, FAK, high vis, traffic book and tons of odds and ends I rarely use but am glad are there when needed :)

Edited by Shmook
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

XA84

As a previous special I only ever used a kit bag as opposed to ruck sack. I used to see people with rucksacks and they were always spending ages rooting right to the bottom of the back to find something. 

Member Achievements

Policey_Man
54 minutes ago, XA84 said:

As a previous special I only ever used a kit bag as opposed to ruck sack. I used to see people with rucksacks and they were always spending ages rooting right to the bottom of the back to find something. 

That's the beauty of buying a bag with compartments....

To be honest, I really do need to sort my bag out. There's stuff in there that I never use..... but I might one day lol...

• Like 1

Member Achievements

ldb225

I used a rucksack for a good 6 months when I had to travel on the tube or walk to get vehicles from other stations as it was so much easier than carrying on one strap or in my hand, now that I'm back on response i almost exclusively use my patrol bag

Member Achievements

TangoOne

I'm issued with that bag. It's a good bag, hard wearing and will carry more than you need.

I don't carry much paperwork anymore but there's lots of other stuff in there.

Three roomy pockets.

I have a patrol bag as well and that's even easier to organise but I got fed up of moving stuff around between jobs so that's been retired for now.

Sent from my iPad using Police Community

Member Achievements

Cuddles

I have this one - https://www.police-supplies.co.uk/police-bags/patrol-duty-tactical/special-operations-backpack_rucksack

Holds lightweight hi-vis, waterproof trousers, traffic chalk, a few plastic evidence bags, map book, collision care packs, emergency MG11s in case I have a tech failure, micro USB lead and power bank, electric screwdriver, spare Euro profile lock cylinders, screws, 2xTaser evidence recovery packs, Windstopper gloves, woolly hat, offence code printouts, gaffer tape, D cell torch on outer loops, printer on Klickfast dock attached to Molle loops, latex gloves, one way valve for CPR, map book and probably some other stuff.

So yeah, holds a decent amount of kit.

Member Achievements