Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
pilky01

Full of questions!

pilky01

Hi PolCom Forum!

I have recently received a start date for PCSO training and I am of course very excited ( wanted to do a police job since I was very young!). I would however like the answers to a few questions that I don't want to bug the HR department with! 

Firstly one of my biggest pet hates is mobile phone use whilst driving and this seems to be a hot topic with  most forces across the UK right now. Does a PCSO have any powers that can combat this problem? Where a PC can offer fines, points and stop vehicles can a PCSO do similar? 

Does a new recruit have any input into the specific area they work in or is it frowned upon to work in an area that you also live close to or in?

Whats the Polices' take on social media, do they prefer you not to have it, or not use it so much?

How long does PCSO classroom and out of classroom training usually take and are there any tests/exams that you have to take that are potentially fail-able!

Will a newly recruited PCSO be allowed to work weekend nights in the bar/clubbing  areas alongside other PCSO's or PC's. As someone who's worked in the nightlife industry for many years I feel my knowledge  on the area and my contacts could make me a valuable resource but don't know if its out of bounds for a PCSO or a new recruit!

Thank you all!

XA84

Hey @pilky01

Firstly congratulations on the new job, always good to hear. 

I can't answer all of your questions as I'm not sure but I'll answer what I can :)

• If you haven't already been asked you'll be given two choices as to where you wish to be based however this will be districts rather than police stations. Generally speaking you won't be posted near to where you live for your own security and safety however you can be give somewhere that's close to there. 
  • Generally from a force professional standards point of view social media is a no no. However I've personally not heard of anyone being disciplined as a result of having an account providing it's not used to show the force in a bad light. 
  • The training tends differ in terms of amount of time it lasts, this can be from force to force. In terms of what to expect. The course is based around learning standards as required by the College of Policing and incorporates subjects such as information technology systems, health & safety, diversity, basic conflict management training, officer safety skills, basic policing skills, first aid and PCSO powers. Incorporated into the programme is an attachment to District where students familiarise themselves with local policing procedure and the communities they will serve. The course requires a high degree of commitment both in and out of the classroom environment. Following designation as a PCSO officers are posted to district, where they are tutored by an experienced PCSO Tutor before commencing independent patrol.

I'm certain you'll get more information from PCSO's who use this forum, or your force will email you everything you need to know.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

pilky01

XA84, Thank you for your response! It's good to be on a forum that helps one another instead of one full of keyboard warriors like most forums are these days!

• Like 1

alicing

I'm not sure about some of the stuff you've asked and hopefully a PCSO can answer your questions, but you should be asked your preferences of where you'd like to work but as far as I know you're put where you're needed and it's up to you whether to accept the offer of employment after that. For my force, there's a mileage/journey length commute limit of 30 miles or 1 hour.

As a PC, we were advised to keep our social media private, don't identify yourself as job on there and recently we've been told that we shouldn't sign petitions or post things that could be used against us if members of the public found them (e.g Trump stuff). I've kept all my social media accounts, made them all private and just consider if I'd want a randomer to see what I'd posted - if not, delete or don't post. No uniform selfies haha.

Again, in my force, PCSO training includes knowledge checks and role plays but unless you continuously fail these miserably you won't fail the course - there's lots of chances to try again as there is for us in PC training. As far as I know PCSO's don't work nights, I think the limit is 11pm or maybe 12.

Good luck and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Member Achievements

SammyB

Obviously each force will be specific as to what they will allow their PCSOs to do / not do, however I can offer my view based on my experiences:

- You may be allowed to work where you live, I've known it happen and it's not as rare as people would have you think.

- In respect of traffic offences, PCSOs can, dependant upon the force, issue Traffic Offence Reports (a ticket) for some offences but not all. I do not think the use of a mobile phone whilst driving is one of those offences. That being said, I have known PCSOs approach PCs to inform them of the offence they have seen and the PC has stopped the vehicle and dealt with the offence, using the PCSOs evidence.

- As I understand it, PCSOs can stop a vehicle whilst on foot but not when they're inside a patrol vehicle. Again this may be force specific but I've not known it happen.

Member Achievements

pilky01

Thank you all for your responses, very helpful!

XA84 - 12th June is my start date so got a couple of months of painful waiting!

XA84

Oh right, I was going to say if it was soon then you would no doubt be given all the information from the course admin and HR. 

But yeah, it appears you have an agonising wait.  :(

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Don1983

@pilky01 i am starting my pcso training on Monday. My training is 6 weeks classroom training at the head quartets then 5 weeks being tutored at my station. My previous job was working in a pub and I've been told I've got to give up my personal licence so i guess in answer to your question, you are not allowed to work in pubs. If i get any more answers ill let you know :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using the Police Community App

Member Achievements

pilky01

@Don1983 Thank you for that info! I didn't realise that you got told what station you would get before training! I start in 8 weeks...Very excited!