Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

GotTheBlues

Anyone due to be starting their PC training in the coming months with Notts?

I'm on the January intake. I have passed everything, just waiting for vetting confirmation.

Member Achievements

gaLcH

Congrats. They seem to be leaving that a bit late. Have you had your formal offer of appointment yet?

Member Achievements

GotTheBlues

Thanks!

No formal offer yet, as I say, I am waiting for vetting to clear which should be a couple more weeks at the most. I've had a provisonal offer of employment based on passing all the subsequent criteria ie drug testing, references etc.

There's a few of us with planned intakes in January, February and April.

It's been almost 2 years having applied in Feb 2013.

Member Achievements

Mark

Thanks!

No formal offer yet, as I say, I am waiting for vetting to clear which should be a couple more weeks at the most. I've had a provisonal offer of employment based on passing all the subsequent criteria ie drug testing, references etc.

Wow that's a long time! If it's not too personal (do tell me to swivel if it is) but can I ask why it's taken that long? I applied in March 2013 and started training in Jan 2014 - also with Notts. 

Member Achievements

GotTheBlues

When the applications were initially released if you remember we were told if you hadn't heard anything in 6 weeks assume you've been unsuccessful.

Apparently they worked through them in clusters passing so many, filling the vacancies and then moving to subsequent batches as needed.

We've just been unlucky that we were in one of the last batches to be sorted through.

Coupled with us being on hold for several months whilst they got their finances in order has lead to this 2 year wait.

Edited by GotTheBlues

Member Achievements

Mark

When the applications were initially released if you remember we were told if you hadn't heard anything in 6 weeks assume you've been unsuccessful.

Apparently they worked through them in clusters passing so many, filling the vacancies and then moving to subsequent batches as needed.

We've just been unlucky that we were in one of the last batches to be sorted through.

Coupled with us being on hold for several months whilst they got their finances in order has lead to this 2 year wait.

Yeah I do recall them having to go through far more applications than expected. Well hopefully, it'll be plain sailing from now on and you get your date asap. 

Member Achievements

GotTheBlues

Hopefully. I have a confirmed start date for January. Passed everything apart from waiting for vetting to clear... I'm positive it'll be okay though :)

Member Achievements

Mark

Glad to hear it mate. I'll look forward to seeing you update this thread with your start date then. Any preferences on where you'd like to be based? 

Member Achievements

GotTheBlues

I would ideally like to be in the city - somewhere which is busy ie St Anne's, Radford. Alternatively I wouldn't mind Mansfield.

Any tips/advice?

Member Achievements

Mark

With regard to placement it's a free-for-all mate. I asked for Beeston and was given Mansfield (bloody busy up there so if you get there, you'll enjoy it)

Hmm advice and tips....Don't get too bogged down with legislation at training school. If you have a definitions book now i.e. the definition of theft, of robbery etc then try and learn them. You'll be tested on them (not straight away of course).

They'll be a lot that won't be covered in any great depth and they'll be stuff that'll be covered too much. Just try to relax and enjoy it. 

Iron creases into the back of your trousers, buy a lint roller and start polishing your boots (I hated it and just saw it as red tape) but, you'll have to do it so if you can get ahead of them game, then crack on with it mate.

If you need any specific advice then feel free to PM me and I'll help as much as I can.

Member Achievements

GotTheBlues

Wow, there's a big difference between the two - geographically at least.

I've been told allocation to a station will be based on operational needs at the time. It is expected that this could be 1-2 months in to training... so i'll wait and see. I know a few officers who work within the city boundary and they have said it is also busy. To be honest as long as it is busy and gives me the opportunity to get loads of experience I really dont mind where i'm based.

Thanks for the advice. My boots get delievered in December so i'll crack on with the polishing - funnily enough my mate warned me about this too! I have bought the Student Policing Handbook which I have been going through for the past week, so ill pay extra attention to those you mentioned.

Thanks again - i'm sure i'll be picking your brain at some point :)

Edited by GotTheBlues

Member Achievements

Mark

Wow, there's a big difference between the two - geographically at least.

I've been told allocation to a station will be based on operational needs at the time. It is expected that this could be 1-2 months in to training... so i'll wait and see. I know a few officers who work within the city boundary and they have said it is also busy. To be honest as long as it is busy and gives me the opportunity to get loads of experience I really dont mind where i'm based.

Thanks for the advice. My boots get delievered in December so i'll crack on with the polishing - funnily enough my mate warned me about this too! I have bought the Student Policing Handbook which I have been going through for the past week, so ill pay extra attention to those you mentioned.

Thanks again - i'm sure i'll be picking your brain at some point :)

Tell me about it. I wanted Beeston A) because that's where I was a Special, B) I know the area like the back of my hand and grew up around the radio talk group so again know it well and C) it's not too far from where I live.

Alas, no, I know have a 50 mile round trip every day I go to work. Ahh well, at least they are paying for my time now rather than getting it for free. I'll have to put up and shut up until I can get a move.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of experience wherever you go, as everywhere is pretty much under staffed - who knew? :P

As for you boots, just try and concentrate on getting a nice bulling/shine on the toecap rather than everywhere on the boot, that's their goal.

Other definitions that I know you'll want to look up are: Public Order Act S.4, 4a and 5. Assault, Battery, Police Assault, ABH GBH,Burglary, Theft, TWOC, Robbery, Handling Stolen goods, Offensive Weapon, Going Equipped, Rape, Sexual Assault/touching.

Sounds like a lot, but all you'll need to start off with is knowing the definition of each, they'll give you plenty of reading material for each, and a comprehensive list with each definition verbatim. 

Best of luck :)

Member Achievements

GotTheBlues

Thanks for all the advice, really appreciated.

Does anyone know if there is a gym at the training centre which we can use?

Member Achievements

Mark

No gym at the training centre mate but there's one close by. I forget if it's at Rolls Royce or not, I'll ask for you and let you know. 

Member Achievements

gaLcH

Thanks!

I would chase that up pal. A vetting clearance with Notts has a turn around of 15 working days, unless something comes to light to delay the process.

Member Achievements

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David