Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
Jamo

Should I be concerned?

Jamo

Hi all,

I'm hoping somebody can put me at ease a little. I have recently successfully completed the recruitment process (AC, final interview, medical & vetting all cleared) for my home force and was told by HR (verbally) that the start date for my intake was March 27th 2017.

However, I am yet to receive a formal offer of appointment. Is this normal? I am very conscious that I need to give my current employer 4 weeks notice.. should I be concerned?

Cheers!

Member Achievements

Sir Penguin

Not necessarily concerned but I would call your force and ask them if your offer letter has been sent out as you will need to let your current employer know that you plan to leave. 

Member Achievements

Remmy
4 minutes ago, Jamo said:

Hi all,

I'm hoping somebody can put me at ease a little. I have recently successfully completed the recruitment process (AC, final interview, medical & vetting all cleared) for my home force and was told by HR (verbally) that the start date for my intake was March 27th 2017.

However, I am yet to receive a formal offer of appointment. Is this normal? I am very conscious that I need to give my current employer 4 weeks notice.. should I be concerned?

Cheers!

Others may be more knowledgeable than me but based on my recent experience of transferring HR departments can easily become overwhelmed. My advice is to call them explain your situation and ask if they can give you written confirmation.

Well done and good luck.

Member Achievements

NatNatC

I start on the in March and I rang today to ask about the formal offer/pack they told me I would receive and they told me not to worry, the packs including the formal letter would be received on the open evening (not sure if every force have an open evening) I have to attend before my start date but that I was definitely starting on the day they had confirmed verbally over the phone.
So I would just give them a courtesy call and ask so you can put your mind at ease.

Sent from my E5823 using the Police Community App

MajorDisaster

Do not be concerned at all.  If your force is anything like mine they say they will give you 28 days notice, so that you can give your current employer 28 days notice.  In my case I had worked out the very last day they could call (though it didn't matter personally as I wasn't employed at that moment).  They finally called at 5.30 pm on the 'last day'.  They then got a friend  in with ten days before the start of the course!

Don't panic - They will call!

Member Achievements

Jamo
2 hours ago, oli7 said:

Is this for Humberside by any chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Its not mate unfortunately. Are you in the same boat? 

Member Achievements

AledJ

I was in a similar position not long ago with waiting for that all
Important letter, but like MajorDisaster had it a day before I had to give my notice. The recruitment team would be aware that the minimum notice period is a month, so they are normally (at least Gwent were) on the ball with it.

Member Achievements

Jamo
3 hours ago, Sir Penguin said:

Not necessarily concerned but I would call your force and ask them if your offer letter has been sent out as you will need to let your current employer know that you plan to leave. 

1 hour ago, MajorDisaster said:

Do not be concerned at all.  If your force is anything like mine they say they will give you 28 days notice, so that you can give your current employer 28 days notice.  In my case I had worked out the very last day they could call (though it didn't matter personally as I wasn't employed at that moment).  They finally called at 5.30 pm on the 'last day'.  They then got a friend  in with ten days before the start of the course!

Don't panic - They will call!

19 minutes ago, AledJ said:

I was in a similar position not long ago with waiting for that all
Important letter, but like MajorDisaster had it a day before I had to give my notice. The recruitment team would be aware that the minimum notice period is a month, so they are normally (at least Gwent were) on the ball with it.

Cheers for the replies.  It's encouraging to know I'm not the only one that is / has been in this position! 

Member Achievements

oli7

Its not mate unfortunately. Are you in the same boat? 

I've got my fitness to pass first, but I've been confirmed for march 27th start date. Good luck to you

Jamo
Just now, oli7 said:

I've got my fitness to pass first, but I've been confirmed for march 27th start date. Good luck to you

Ah, I had my fitness a few weeks back. Good luck to you too! 

Member Achievements

oli7

Is it as easy as most are saying, I've been training to 16 1/2 metre and to level 5.4 on a muddy playing field

• Like 1

Jamo
Just now, oli7 said:

Is it as easy as most are saying, I've been training to 16 1/2 metre and to level 5.4 on a muddy playing field

Honestly mate you'll be shocked at how easy it is. To put it into perspective I was in and out of HQ within 10 minutes.. 

Member Achievements

oli7

Jamo
3 hours ago, NatNatC said:

I start on the in March and I rang today to ask about the formal offer/pack they told me I would receive and they told me not to worry, the packs including the formal letter would be received on the open evening (not sure if every force have an open evening) I have to attend before my start date but that I was definitely starting on the day they had confirmed verbally over the phone.
So I would just give them a courtesy call and ask so you can put your mind at ease.

Sent from my E5823 using the Police Community App

Good to hear! I do indeed have an awareness evening to attend although only been given a rough idea of timings - approx 2 weeks before start date. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Paid Membership Required

There are 2 hidden replies in this thread. To unlock the forum you will need to be a registered member and have a paid Membership Plan or Recruitment Pass. Click HERE for full details.

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David