Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
PrimeCut

Two Forces Rule - England AND Scotland?

PrimeCut

Afternoon all

Many of us are aware that applying to two police forces to be an officer is mostly a no-no - for the most part it appears that you can't apply to two forces that use the SEARCH assessment, but sometimes (depending on the force policy)  you can apply for, say, BTP and a HO force simultaneously due to their differing assessments.

To take this a step further, does anyone know if you're allowed to apply for Police Scotland and a HO force from England? I say this because Police Scotland don't use the SEARCH assessment. I will followup with an email to HR but just wondered if anyone knew off-hand.

Thanks a lot

Edited by PrimeCut

Member Achievements

Mazza

There's nothing to say you can't so I imagine you can. You're right, we don't use SEARCH up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Member Achievements

Jeebs

I had it confirmed when I was about 18 (ten years ago now like) that you could apply for a Scottish force and an English force at the same time as the recruitment processes are completely different.

Member Achievements

Policey_Man

I'm not certain, but my instinct is the above two answers would be right. They are two very different ways of working though, so I'd think carefully about which you'd want to go with long term.

Please do post the official answer when you get one...

Member Achievements

Mazza

Good point well made Policey_Man.

The law is very different here (Scotland) so means that everything needs to be corroborated. You can't work by yourself (well you could but you can't actually do anything yourself) but also means that there generally has to be corroborative evidence before you can charge someone. Also no CPS up here, so we make the charging decision, report it, and the fiscal decide if they want to pursue the case. That means you can spend your whole time writing the case, submitting productions, and then the PF can "red pen" it and not take it any further. Also we only have 12 hours to do all of our pre-charge investigation (interview etc).

Also be aware that you can be placed anywhere in Scotland - they will give you one of your top 3 choices but only if there's a space there. Then you have to be in for 2 years before they will even consider a transfer - and at the moment in my division you could wait up to a year or more to actually transfer out.

However if you're brand new into the job and you're happy to learn any way then it's a great place to work. Great team environment, you rarely work alone, and you aren't at the mercy of CPS for hours on end.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Member Achievements

Policey_Man

I didn't know about the 12 hour rule.... most of our jobs would be lost if we had to comply with that!

Member Achievements

Milankovitch

If we have enough evidence to charge without interviewing the person then normally they'd just be arrested and charged without interview. For most minor stuff 12 hours is more than long enough as at that point all you'll really be doing is interviewing them and getting statements. Different ball game for more serious stuff but the time can be extended. Understandably as a Special I've got very little experience of that side of things so not really sure how they manage sometimes, I think there are possibly circumstances where you can arrest somebody and still interview them about a serious offence but I'm likely wrong on that front!

Where I think it falls down is something like an investigation into something like indecent images. You can execute a warrant, seize computers etc but might not want to detain that person until they have been analysed so you can put questions to them in interview about the material found. You've probably not got enough to charge them at this point either and without them being arrested conditions can't be applied to that person to prevent them from having access to computers for instance.

This is all changing later this year anyway, getting rid of detention and investigative liberations are being brought which are much more similar to E&W.

To sort of bring this back on topic, one of the probationers at my station who has recently joined had concurrent applications going with Police Scotland and a force down south with no issue. He made the right choice in the end. ;)

PrimeCut

Thanks to all who helped reassure me with their contribution.

I have had it confirmed by HR that Police Scotland are happy to accept applicants who simultaneously are progressing an application with an E&W HO force.

Member Achievements

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David