Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
Toms

National Assessment Centre Revision

Toms

They say that success comes from preparation so was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of any maths questions (such as revision websites etc) that could help in the assessment centre. Someone I know has theirs soon and, by their own admission, is crap at maths. Was thinking some of the GCSE websites may work but they are not multiple choice (I have all the revision questions (3 questions) that have been given by the College Of Policing and when I gave them an email for any more I got a polite go away, not in my mind how they should be treating their members). Not willing to pay one of these companies as not sure if they are actually worth it. 

On a slightly different not not sure why its necessary to have a maths test on a police entry exam if you already have maths GCSE (or other qualification). I can tell you now I have being doing this job quite a while and I have never used any maths whilst doing it (other than divvying up the kebab bill)

Member Achievements

lina

I had my AC recently and have passed it so I can tell you what worked for me.

I don't consider myself good at maths by any stretch of imagination- I did good at school because I worked very hard but I lack what I call 'maths brain' or mathematical thinking so to speak.

I only used the how2become books to prepare for maths test. The welcome pack that is sent out to all attending the AC gives you a good indication of what can be involved during the actual test. It really is rather straightforward and I would say that anyone with the ability to use a calculator (you can use one) will be absolutely fine. Also apparently the maths is worth only few % of the whole result and I know many people that did the absolute minimum and not tried very hard on it.

Hope this helps and good luck. 

Member Achievements

MindTheGap

Are you leaving us then? 

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster

The how 2 become book was about the right level.  I've helped a few people with practice questions and I had no trouble with the actual assessment but then my last job before becoming a full-time police officer was....maths teacher!

• Like 1

Member Achievements

joey_shabadoo

Blue light consultancy is excellent and Brendan posts lots of info on what to cover via Facebook and YouTube.  He offers an online course and face to face and also a money back guarantee if you don't get 50%.  The best advice is to prepare, I had a pre-prepared script for the role plays so I had my intro and conclusion pretty much nailed on and also a little flexibility regarding questioning depending on the role play and the same goes for solutions.  The maths is such a small percentage and is not pass or fail but it is it worth  brushing up on percentages.  I ended up enjoying the process even though it is a long 4-5 hours and everything comes quite thick and fast.  It is a game after all and very passable if you put the right prep in. 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

H-H

How did your AC go[mention=285]Toms[/mention]?

Have mine next month, can anyone think of any advice on what examples to prepare for the interview? Is there a set 4 competencies which they test? (IE one q on Professionalism, one on Service Delivery, one on Serving the Public and one on Working with Others?)

I'm a bit nervous that I'm going to come up with say 2 examples for each competency and then not be able to adapt them to answer the question being asked - does anyone have any advice on how to tackle this?

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Member Achievements

Toms
7 hours ago, H-H said:

How did your AC go[mention=285]Toms[/mention]?

Have mine next month, can anyone think of any advice on what examples to prepare for the interview? Is there a set 4 competencies which they test? (IE one q on Professionalism, one on Service Delivery, one on Serving the Public and one on Working with Others?)

I'm a bit nervous that I'm going to come up with say 2 examples for each competency and then not be able to adapt them to answer the question being asked - does anyone have any advice on how to tackle this?

Sorry can't help with that one. Did mine quite a number of years ago now. It was for a friend of a friend as they asked for advice but its been so long since I did mine I don't know whether its the same (can't remember it anyway as my brain blocks out traumatic memories)

• Like 1

Member Achievements

H-H

Cheers mate, how did they get on?! I'm trying to remember my last one for but I think I'm also suffering from trauma based amnesia!!

Appreciate the response anyhow, do you think best to base my examples on questions I think they might ask or base them around the competencies and make them fit to the question on the day?

The competencies seem so much more vague than they did a few years ago!!!

Member Achievements

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David