Jump to content
Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
BlueBob

Hybrid police vehicle.

Recommended Posts

BlueBob

Can't pick up the link, London Evening Standard 1st Feb reporting on Met to get new range of alternate fuel vehicle - cars and motor cycles, including hydrogen fuel cell . The quote includes that they stopped buying diesels in 2015.  

Certainly a challenging future for policing fleets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

ForceHQ

Id be interesting to know what the life time is for those used 24/7 for response driving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

JD180

... they haven't even managed to crack the general population running eco vehicles that give good mileage etc. I don't think this would be a very wise move. Money better spent elsewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

BlueBob

The ES said there are already some MBW i3x's on trial.  Battery life on some of the vehicles like the  Leaf or Note  are tending to be over 150k (mainly US) with minimal maintenance issues in terms of the power plant and drivetrain, so possibly less running costs compared to petrol/diesel.  Alway have had a concern on all elec in practical terms and on the whole life environmental benefits due to the extraction to obtain the raw earth minerals needed for these high tech devices.  But hybrid is a different thing as the combustion could use other than petrol/diesel..  In the main the problem is as much to do with the refuelling infrastructure as it is the actual running of the veh.
what was interesting was that they seem to be saying they have stopped buying diesel since 2015 - so the question is have they stopped buying or have they moved over to petrol?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

Bacon_sandwich

We have moved to petrol.

Our latest IRV's are Ford Focus estate 1.0l eco boosts petrol engines.


Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

Policey_Man
12 hours ago, BlueBob said:

Can't pick up the link, London Evening Standard 1st Feb reporting on Met to get new range of alternate fuel vehicle - cars and motor cycles, including hydrogen fuel cell . The quote includes that they stopped buying diesels in 2015.  

Certainly a challenging future for policing fleets

Here is the link for those interested...

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/scotland-yard-to-adopt-new-fleet-of-hybrid-police-cars-and-bikes-to-combat-toxic-air-in-london-a3455436.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

Policey_Man
7 hours ago, BlueBob said:

The ES said there are already some MBW i3x's on trial.  Battery life on some of the vehicles like the  Leaf or Note  are tending to be over 150k (mainly US) with minimal maintenance issues in terms of the power plant and drivetrain, so possibly less running costs compared to petrol/diesel.  Alway have had a concern on all elec in practical terms and on the whole life environmental benefits due to the extraction to obtain the raw earth minerals needed for these high tech devices.  But hybrid is a different thing as the combustion could use other than petrol/diesel..  In the main the problem is as much to do with the refuelling infrastructure as it is the actual running of the veh.
what was interesting was that they seem to be saying they have stopped buying diesel since 2015 - so the question is have they stopped buying or have they moved over to petrol?

In relation to your last point, the new vehicles are all petrol. The jury is out on their performance.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

Klaus
We have moved to petrol.

Our latest IRV's are Ford Focus estate 1.0l eco boosts petrol engines.


Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Which are more powerful than the diesel 1.6 ones we were buying before! ;)


Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

Hades
On 03/02/2017 at 11:37, ForceHQ said:

Id be interesting to know what the life time is for those used 24/7 for response driving.

We had a hybrid demonstrator a while ago (a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV)... It was a really nice car (obviously top spec as the demonstrators always are...) and drove alright etc, but it never had a charge in the battery because it never had long enough to charge up between uses... The result was that  the engine was always doing all the work which completely defeated the purpose of having the hybrid in the first place - we'd do just as well buying a 1.4 or 1.6 petrol car in the first place as that's what we ended up with!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

BlueBob
11 hours ago, Hades said:

We had a hybrid demonstrator a while ago (a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV)... It was a really nice car (obviously top spec as the demonstrators always are...) and drove alright etc, but it never had a charge in the battery because it never had long enough to charge up between uses... The result was that  the engine was always doing all the work which completely defeated the purpose of having the hybrid in the first place - we'd do just as well buying a 1.4 or 1.6 petrol car in the first place as that's what we ended up with!

When they say its used for 24/7 what they mean is its used a lot during the day and night.   It would be almost a retro grade step of having some vehicles set aside for the night shift or keep some on lighter mileage so they'll last longer and such tactics.  But all these hybrids have a significant premium.  No easy answer of they are truly looking to progressively go away from diesel cars and try and reduce the petrol usage in favour of more environmentally friendly options.  Having said that, many / most of teh alternative lpg/cng/ veg oil etc have very similar pollutants to the modern diesel and little different to most petrols. 
Perhaps for another debate, but if the major polluting vehicles are the older ones, is it near time to require vehicles to have a limited lifespan and consign older technology vehicles to the recycling centre.  Should we really still be seeing 15 year old vehicles on our roads?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

jamieMET

Some can barely manage removing their food waste and used gloves from the cabin, let alone be expected to plug the car in everytime you park in the yard!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

NCFPA
Some can barely manage removing their food waste and used gloves from the cabin, let alone be expected to plug the car in everytime you park in the yard!



And the 500 various paperwork books in the boot for officers who never get there pens out in the first place!


Sent from my iPhone using Police Community
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements


Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

  • 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

    Meet The Team

  • Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David
    David Global Moderators
  • Devil
    Devil Global Moderators
  • MindTheGap
    MindTheGap Global Moderators
  • Sir Penguin
    Sir Penguin Global Moderators
  • Remmy
    Remmy Global Moderators
  • Fedster
    Fedster Global Moderators
×