Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
Jon825

Potential reference issues

Jon825

Hi all

Wondering if anyone has any experience of this or might be able to help.  I have recently passed my final interview and been told the next stage is fitness test and vetting, with references to be taken from my last 3 employers.  I have nothing that should be an issue with references, no massive time off or anything apart from a disciplinary issue with my previous employer.  Basically I was given a warning for messaging a work colleague about a work issue which I used a swear word.  The work colleague took this to the manager and I was investigated.  I did intend the message as a joke but fully accepted that it could have caused offence and was given a warning.  The word wasn't discriminatory or racist etc, it was simply a swear word used in poor judgement.  Does anybody have any experience of things like this coming up in their recruitment or do any of the moderators know if this will be an issue?

Any help appreciated

ParochialYokal

Organisations are increasingly worried about giving 'bad' references. It may be the case that they chose not to disclose the matter.

People often say on here that you should disclose everything. However, unless you have been asked about an issue then that isn't always the best approach. As long as you have honestly answered all questions accurately about previous employment you can't be accused of dishonesty.

They will seek the references and then they will make a decision based upon what your previous employer chooses to disclose. It is entirely out of your hands and there is nothing that you can say or do at this stage.

If an adverse reference comes back then you may be able to provide an explanation.

On the face of it, it was a silly mistake. It does not reflect dishonesty or prejudice, but the use of inappropriate language within an internal electronic communication.

'Warnings' can have different meanings within organisations, depending on their policies. This can range from verbal warnings, to formal warnings to final warnings. Also, a 'warning' does not necessarily amount to a finding of 'misconduct' or 'gross misconduct'.

Some organisations also have HR policies that expunge 'warnings' from an employee's employment record if they do not 'misbehave' within a specified timeframe (e.g. 6 months).

If your previous employer was going to disclose this matter then they would have considered the implications of doing so in great detail, especially if they are a larger organisation.

I would just sit tight and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone usring Police Community

• Like 2

Member Achievements

AledJ

Most organisations these days will just say how long you worked for them, and if you had any disciplinary. I'm not sure they would mention a warning, or if that would even be on your file.

Even if it is mentioned it's not a serious warning at that, as I think the police are looking to see if your were fired for gross misconduct etc..

Let us know how it's goes, but I think you should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Member Achievements

joey_shabadoo

Most organisations will only confirm the start and end dates for when you worked for them.  Best to sit and hold tight to see if it is an issue and then explain.  I am assuming you previous employer didn't disclose for your current job?

Member Achievements

junior_7178

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but i thought it might be preferential to starting a new thread that will probably get answered in one post.

Q) It seems to be the norm to want references from current & previous employer. I am one of 3 company directors at my own company. The other 2 are close friends of mine (husband & wife). Who should i put as my current employer reference? I only have 1 previous civilian employer and before that it was the Royal Air Force. 

Any ideas?

Member Achievements

Mazza
Apologies for bumping an old thread, but i thought it might be preferential to starting a new thread that will probably get answered in one post.
Q) It seems to be the norm to want references from current & previous employer. I am one of 3 company directors at my own company. The other 2 are close friends of mine (husband & wife). Who should i put as my current employer reference? I only have 1 previous civilian employer and before that it was the Royal Air Force. 

Any ideas?

Speak to your recruitment team as it depends on the content of the reference - if they are asking about your timekeeping or attendance at work then likely one of your co-directors will need to fill it in, but if they are just looking for a written reference of your performance then it may be better to ask a long-standing/trusted client?

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Member Achievements

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David