Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
bluedelta

Assessment Centre Preparation Courses?

bluedelta

Hi guys,

Has anybody been on one of these courses e.g. Talking blues, bluelightconsultancy?

Are they recommended or frowned upon?

Are they necessary or can you cover everything yourself from home to pass with a good mark?

I have my AC coming up start of March and wanted to cover all basis for preparation.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster

I've said elsewhere - Talking blues is fantastic.  The day that I did - out of about 12 there was 1 on the previous course, 2 (including me) on the current one and one on the next.  Two others are going into training in another force and that's just the ones I know about.  It's a fair wad of cash, BUT in the big scheme of things it's the cost of a good night out in town against the chance of a full career.  

Follow the Daley Thompson approach...I train on Christmas Day because I know my rivals don't.  I worked out that there are 30 applicants for every place in my force.  I'm sure it's far higher in big city areas.  You need to give yourself every advantage.  The AC pass mark might be 60%, but if you an weigh in with 70% then you'll take that last place.

Edited by MajorDisaster
  • Like 3

Member Achievements

Don1983

Hi guys,
Has anybody been on one of these courses e.g. Talking blues, bluelightconsultancy?
Are they recommended or frowned upon?
Are they necessary or can you cover everything yourself from home to pass with a good mark?
I have my AC coming up start of March and wanted to cover all basis for preparation.
Thanks in advance.

I didn't go to one of these courses, I just used 'how to become' . I found it really good apart from the roleplay DVD. I passed the a/c with a good mark :) good luck!!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using the Police Community App

• Like 1

Member Achievements

bluedelta

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm going to book a course as to me it's a small price to pay even if it gets me an extra few percent on the AC.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

AledJ

I didn't go to one of these courses, I just used 'how to become' . I found it really good apart from the roleplay DVD. I passed the a/c with a good mark _.30b4ea0b68e2ea004d2604a44f9efaff good luck!!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using the Police Community App

Same as me I just used the same books, and I've just had my offer letter for Gwent Police. If these courses work for people then that's great, but depends if you think it will help.

It all depends on what you think works for you.

Good luck with the application

• Like 2

Member Achievements

joey_shabadoo

Bluelight is by far the best course.  TBH Brendan offers loads of free advice via his Youtube channel and FB. 

Member Achievements

Zens Vision

Do the talking blues course. I have no regrets. I start in March as a PC now! Would I have passed without it? Maybe, but I don't think so. Either way I don't mind spending extra money on it to get in!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Policey_Man

How much is the course?

If you want to do it then go for it, but what I'd also suggest is that the assessment centre isn't rocket science. You can pick up a lot of tips and information through sites such as this and by talking with serving officers and those who have passed the assessment centres already.

I'd probably say a book or DVD is worth buying and reading all the usual stuff - NPIA/College of Policing info, the Westshire Centre pack, the relevant force website and so on.

For the interview and application form, a lot of the time required to prepare for these will be dependent upon how much effort you put into them.

Member Achievements

lina

I've prepared on my own and have passed with a good mark so it is not necessary to do the course in order to pass. However, as you say, if it gives you extra knowledge and confidence then go for it. Good luck!

oli7

You will pass the AC if you go with Brendan at Bluelight. I think he offers a money back if you don't pass, he's that confident. 99% pass rate says it all. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

alicing
I've prepared on my own and have passed with a good mark so it is not necessary to do the course in order to pass. However, as you say, if it gives you extra knowledge and confidence then go for it. Good luck!

I can only back this up.

There's so much info on the internet, I found a useful site nearly every day in the run up to my AC. Have faith in yourself, but do the course if you can afford it, why not!

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Member Achievements

Ctr-lib

Hi I have the AC coming up is there any sites worth looking at? 

XA84

I personally didn't use any service or anything and managed to pass first time. 

A lot of the day consists of common sense. 

This link may help you on what to expect: https://www.jobtestprep.co.uk/police-officer-assessment

Personally I wouldn't bog yourself down with trying to learn everything as if you get there and you find it's not what you expected you could be in trouble. 

Just make sure to work on things like maths, spelling & grammar etc. 

Good luck. 

Member Achievements

bluedelta
Hi I have the AC coming up is there any sites worth looking at? 

I went to a Talking Blues course and passed my assessment centre. It gave me a lot of confidence going into the day and I don't regret paying at all - well worth it.

Member Achievements

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David