Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
adsearle76

Change of Career into Public Service - Police

adsearle76

Hello,

I am considering a career change. The Direct Entry programme is interesting to me so I thought I'd do some research to find out more about it.

Does anyone have any experience or feedback they'd like to share with me?

Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Anthony

Hoofing

Direct entry as in joining as a Supt for example? 

Member Achievements

Milankovitch

Would be as an Inspector judging by previous posts.

adsearle76

Just been to an event in Birmingham, where I listened to service police officers describe the roles of Inspector and Superintendent.

Even more enthusiastic to join a force!

How can I understand the role of Inspector from a day to day perspective. In the particular, the qualities that make a good operational leader?

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

• Like 1

Posh

You could try contacting the DE programme directly asking if there are people on the scheme who are happy to have a phone call etc.?

Member Achievements

Jeebs

I believe the direct entry scheme for civvies is a 3 year programme as far as I know. You undertake initial training as any other recruit would, and serve some sort of probabtionary period (I don't know the length). You are required to pass OSPREY during your probationary period to allow you to advance to the rank of Sgt, where you again spend a period of time on probation, during that you do your inspectors exams and then progress to that level. Pretty intensive as I understand it.

They aren't actually looking for these fast track inspectors to do police work, or lead a section, as I understand it, and the way it was explained to me by my Supt. is that you do the basics and then get sidelined into a "projects team" and become an office gimp.

Member Achievements

Policey_Man

I have to admit, I don't know much about the direct entry Inspectors programme but I know a bit about the fast track PC to Inspector programme and the Direct Entry Superintendent programme, as I've worked with both.

These programmes are nice ideas in theory, but being a police officer isn't like the military with the two tier officer and non-officer cohorts. Our leaders need to have a solid operational background and a good understanding of what police officers do and go through on a day to day basis and I think that without that foundation, there will be problems in the future. Whilst people will always respect the rank, I think that there is much less respect for the person in these cases, because of their lack of knowledge at operational level. I certainly wouldn't be going to either for advice or guidance on operational matters if I could avoid them.

For a direct entry or fast track inspector, operational knowledge will be key. In theory, as an Inspector you could be the senior operational officer on duty for a large part of your county. How are you going to give instructions on operational policing to a PC or Sgt with 20 years front line operational experience - how about even 3 or 5 years' experience? The reality is they will know better than you. That's probably why a lot of people in my force who applied internally had quite a few years in as PCs. Can you handle being the boss, but managing people who know a heck of a lot more than you about what you're talking about? I'd consider myself quite intelligent, but I have to admit, I would probably struggle as a direct entry without having the experience I have from being a front-line officer.

I suspect, as Jeebs suggests, that direct entry people are going to be segregated from normal Inspectors and Supts and are just going to be doing project work in an office... that is what I've seen happen thus far. It's not to say that isn't interesting office work, but on the whole it isn't work that a police officer is needed for, it could be any civvy manager.

The Supt direct entry scheme is less of an issue because they are much more office bound manager types.  If I were an external candidate, I would definitely be looking at that over the Inspector level entry.

Having said all the negative stuff, I have to say, these direct entry types are much more personable and have much better people skills. They seem to care more about the troops and are very approachable. We do need new and fresh ideas in the Police, because people do get ingrained into complying with the status quo and you do get worn out trying to fight the system and change things. However, I can't help but think that they spend all their time banging their head against a brick wall, fighting to bring in even minor change to a culture and organisations that are resistant to any sort of change. I heard one story of a direct entry Supt trying to get people to call her by her first name.... a very minor, simple thing, but that didn't take off at all, because police service culture didn't support it and wasn't used to it. It would be interesting to speak to some of these direct entry people and ask what changes they want to bring in, and what they've actually managed to achieve?

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Sir Penguin

Both of the following have been involved in Direct Entry and have tweeted about their journey. It may be worth getting in contact with those if you want some first hand experience.

@WYPDavidHarland

@MetPoliceSuper

Member Achievements

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David