Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
Nic79

Change of career

Nic79

Hello,  I have signed up to this site as I have been considering applying to Merseyside police since I was 19, however I was studying law in university and went on to become a solicitor. I have taken time out recently as I don't enjoy my job and profession is failing somewhat,  and now at age of 37, I'm wondering if it's worth applying now, closing date is today. I've always been curious and feel I would have made a better police officer than lawyer but despite encouragement from my family I'm thinking,  I'm too old, too set in ways etc, but then again don't want to leave it and in another couple of years look back with regret. Can anyone offer any advice, anyone in similar situation? Thanks in advance 

Eebs

It's never too late to apply. During training you'll question what you've learnt, and learn new ways of thinking. It's always worth applying, even if you fail just apply next time. All you've done is gain more experience than most before joining. Of all the questions like this, I only see "go for it". If you stay in your current job, highly likely nothing will change unless you change it. 

Long as you can walk/slow jog for 2 and a half mins to 5.4 you can pass the fitness  (always reccomendded to get much higher though, having to stop during a chase is embarrassing..)

Member Achievements

lizlou
Hello,  I have signed up to this site as I have been considering applying to Merseyside police since I was 19, however I was studying law in university and went on to become a solicitor. I have taken time out recently as I don't enjoy my job and profession is failing somewhat,  and now at age of 37, I'm wondering if it's worth applying now, closing date is today. I've always been curious and feel I would have made a better police officer than lawyer but despite encouragement from my family I'm thinking,  I'm too old, too set in ways etc, but then again don't want to leave it and in another couple of years look back with regret. Can anyone offer any advice, anyone in similar situation? Thanks in advance 

Go for it, nothing ventured nothing gained! I always say: in life, if you don't like something, change it. I'm 44 & I've just applied. By the way, it looks like they've extended the closing date to 27th Jan. :)

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the Police Community App

JD180

Gone from a role in civil engineering to joining Cambs police in March... Haven't started yet but I feel it's the best choice I have made so far. For the first time in my life I cannot WAIT to start a new job! 

I say go got it!!! it's a bloody long application process anyway.. In that time you will have a long time to really think is it the right choice for you.. But at least the ball is rolling if you make the choice it is what you want!

GO FOR IT!!

Member Achievements

Sceptre

Have you considered joining as a special constable first to see what you think rather than making a big jump thinking the grass will be greener? It will be a big culture change and you might find it not to your liking; you might also find that you get enough of the interesting parts of policing through volunteering to make up for what is missing in your day job. You might even decide that the fairly paltry wages the police aren't enough to tempt you at your point in life.

I have to say I can think of a few PCs who left the job to practice law but I've never met anyone who did the opposite.

• Like 3

Member Achievements

Nic79

Hi, thank you so much for all your advice. Lizlou thank you,  the closing date has been moved to 27th, I think that's a sign! 

Sceptre,  I think you're right and that's part of the apprehension with me because I can recall four police offers during my degree, so makes me think I'm doing it the wrong way round.  I will give all your advice some thought,  thanks again 

• Like 1

Sir Penguin

What's the harm in applying? 

If it is Merseyside you are looking for then it may be the last opportunity in a while. 

Member Achievements

LeSquirrel

I recently completed my initial 19 weeks of training - my tutor joined when he was 49, and there was a guy in my class who is 48. It's never too late to join.

Edited by LeSquirrel

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster

I'm currently 1/3 of my way through training and I'll be 52 in April. Go for it.  If you don't like it you can always go back to being a solicitor later on.

Member Achievements

lina

I'd say give it a go, you can always go back to your current role if it doesn't work out for you with the police. Good luck!

Policey_Man

Sorry for the late reply - I've only just seen this.

Age is not a factor, so please don't worry about it. I spend a lot of time teaching new officers who are just out of training school and I can tell you for certain that actually, those who have some life experience and maturity often out-perform those who are younger overall. My oldest student of late has been in their late 40s and he is doing very well having been out on the streets for about 7 months now. Policing isn't what you see on TV - it's not foot chases, jumping over fences and fighting with people, that does happen, but not as often as you think. The key skills for police officers are intelligence, empathy, the ability to communicate with people and to think on your feet, making difficult decisions under pressure.

If it's something you've always wanted to do, then why not give it a try if you aren't happy with your current job? Life is too short to be unhappy. If you want to test the waters first, you can be a Special Constable for a while or you can always as your local force if they do ride-alongs.... that's an increasingly common thing now across the country. Obviously you've got to consider the practicalities of such a move too.... the salary is probably going to be a lot less than you're currently on for one thing.

Feel free to PM me if you wish.

• Like 2

Member Achievements

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David